[News] Linux Programmer's Death Exploited for Malware; No Solution for Windows Ransomware - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Programmer's Death Exploited for Malware; No Solution for Windows Ransomware

    Site Exploits Linux Programmer's Death On Rainier To Hawk Malware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I came across a site that promised to show video of Burceag, a 31-year-old
    | Seattle-area resident who was director of Linux engineering for
    | communications vendor Active Voice, if I would just click on the link.
    | Immediately, I was redirected to a URL for OnlineScannerXP.com. It hijacked
    | my browser and tried to sell me some malware.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...xploits_l.html

    Ransomware Trojan code break 'impractical'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A cryptographic expert has questioned the practicality of a code breaking
    | initiative geared to cracking the key used in the dangerous Gpcode-AK
    | ransomware virus.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But cryptographic expert Bruce Schneier argues that the effort is
    | impractical, misguided and little better than a publicity stunt.
    |
    | "We've never factored a 1024-bit number - at least, not outside any secret
    | government agency - and it's likely to require a lot more than 15 million
    | computer years of work. The current factoring record is a 1023-bit number,
    | but it was a special number that's easier to factor than a
    | product-of-two-primes number used in RSA," he writes.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...an_code_break/

    Recent:

    Wolf Reveals House Computers Compromised by Outside Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That kind of information, as well as everything else on my office
    | computers -- e-mails, memos, correspondence and district casework - was open
    | for outside eyes to see.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | These cyber attacks permitted the source to probe our computers to evaluate
    | our system's defenses, and to view and copy information. *My suspicion is
    | that I was targeted by Chinese sources because of my long history of speaking
    | out about China's abysmal human rights record.
    `----

    http://wolf.house.gov/index.cfm?sect...34&itemid=1174

    Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
    | the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
    | with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
    | vulnerable as its predecessors.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...decessors.html

    Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
    | date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
    | million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
    | Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
    | operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
    | Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...alware_survey/

    Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...dows_2000.html

  2. Re: [News] Linux Programmer's Death Exploited for Malware; No Solution for Windows Ransomware

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Site Exploits Linux Programmer's Death On Rainier To Hawk Malware
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I came across a site that promised to show video of Burceag, a
    > 31-year-old
    > | Seattle-area resident who was director of Linux engineering for
    > | communications vendor Active Voice, if I would just click on the link.
    > | Immediately, I was redirected to a URL for OnlineScannerXP.com. It
    > hijacked
    > | my browser and tried to sell me some malware.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...xploits_l.html
    >
    > Ransomware Trojan code break 'impractical'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A cryptographic expert has questioned the practicality of a code
    > breaking
    > | initiative geared to cracking the key used in the dangerous Gpcode-AK
    > | ransomware virus.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | But cryptographic expert Bruce Schneier argues that the effort is
    > | impractical, misguided and little better than a publicity stunt.
    > |
    > | "We've never factored a 1024-bit number - at least, not outside any
    > secret
    > | government agency - and it's likely to require a lot more than 15
    > million
    > | computer years of work. The current factoring record is a 1023-bit
    > number,
    > | but it was a special number that's easier to factor than a
    > | product-of-two-primes number used in RSA," he writes.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...an_code_break/
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Wolf Reveals House Computers Compromised by Outside Source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | That kind of information, as well as everything else on my office
    > | computers -- e-mails, memos, correspondence and district casework - was
    > open
    > | for outside eyes to see.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | These cyber attacks permitted the source to probe our computers to
    > evaluate
    > | our system's defenses, and to view and copy information. My suspicion is
    > | that I was targeted by Chinese sources because of my long history of
    > speaking
    > | out about China's abysmal human rights record.
    > `----
    >
    > http://wolf.house.gov/index.cfm?sect...34&itemid=1174
    >

    > Vista

    been created.