Linux Pros - Reasons to Use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and most of the Linux applications are open-source
|
| You can legally download, share, modify and use Linux applications because
| most of them are open-source and licensed under the GPL or another
| GPL-compatible license.
|
| [...]
|
| Projects which are unmaintained can be forked
|
| If a project is no longer maintained by its authors, then someone else can
| take the code and continue to develop it. Or fork it, to get something new,
| different. When Beep Media Player ceased to be developed, a new project,
| Audacious, was started, and it was based on the BMP code.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...use-linux.html

Related:

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows.

,----[ Quote ]
| # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single
| action...
|
| # Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot...
|
| # Keep my system secure without software that consumes my system resources,
| requires my time, and frequently nags me...
|
| # Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software,
| and without breaking the law...
|
| # Take my settings with me where ever I go...
|
| # Run Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 on the same desktop...
|
| # Understand everything that is going on in my computer...
|
| # Customize every aspect of my desktop...
|
| # Benefit from competition between projects for each system on my
| computer...
|
| # Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux...
|
| # Learn about, support, and appreciate the value of free software...

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-c...-do-on-windows

10 Reasons Why You Need to Download Ubuntu Right Now

,----[ Gist ]
| NTFS Read/Write Straight Away
|
| Package Manager
|
| GNOME + Compiz = One Beautiful GUI
|
| Wine and Thousands of Other Great Open Source Apps
|
| Huge Amount of Customization:
|
| No Malware
|
| Ease of Use
|
| Hardware Support Has Never Been Better
|
| It’s Free
|
| Community Support + Tight Release Schedule
`----

http://www.softwarebattle.com/2007/1...ntu-right-now/

6 Reasons Why Linux Beats Windows & Mac OSX Hands Down

,----[ Gist ]

`----

http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/200...sx-hands-down/
http://tinyurl.com/328lsb