[News] Sun Executive Busts Myths About Support in Free Software, Praises GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Sun Executive Busts Myths About Support in Free Software, Praises GNU/Linux

    Government CIOs 'do not understand open source'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "There's a lack of understanding of what is open source. I think that's a
    | fear that's probably been raised by certain quarters of the industry where
    | they feel that open source is treading on their toes," he said.
    |
    | "Linux is clearly open source, but quality-wise it rivals traditionally
    | manufactured software and has arguably some better support than commercial
    | proprietary systems," he added.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/6ysx2f

    It's usually Linux that can prevent the need to visit a technician, even for
    Windows. It reduces support burden.

    When Desktop Disaster Strikes, Linux Rides To The Rescue

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A friend in need, the saying goes, is a friend indeed. And the next time your
    | Windows PC goes belly-up at the worst possible time, your new best friend
    | just might turn out to be a Linux rescue CD.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Of course, there is also the fact that a typical Linux rescue CD consists
    | entirely of open-source software. It won't cost you a penny to use, and it
    | allows developers to adapt the code to suit their needs. Many popular
    | Linux "rescue" distros, for example, are actually stripped-down, customized
    | versions of familiar distros such as Debian, Knoppix, and Mandriva.
    `----

    http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/arc...esktop_di.html

    Related:

    A Perception of Lack of Support for Open Source Should Not Stop Adoption of
    Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | People seem hesitant to accept open source because “there is no company
    | behind it” like Microsoft. First of all, from an OS standpoint, support of
    | Linux distros by the companies that publish them has come a long way in the
    | past few years. Companies like Canonical (the distributor of Ubuntu Linux),
    | Novell (SuSE Linux), and Red Hat offer support programs that can assist you
    | with your problem, although these programs vary in pricing and how they are
    | conducted. The point is, however, that despite the fact that the OS is
    | developed, maintained, and improved by an amorphous body of programmers (the *
    | open source community), there are real companies behind the distros that will
    | be there if you have a question or problem. * * * *
    `----

    http://lawtech.wordpress.com/2008/03...x-open-source/

    Microsoft's Genuine Advantage

    ,----[ Snippet ]
    | A lot of managers are afraid to use Open Source Software, because it
    | doesn't come with any support. Of course that isn't true. It is a classical
    | piece of FUD. And then again, how much is support worth?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | MS: * Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
    | IC: * Windows displays some strange message on my screen.
    | MS: * What's the message, sir.
    | IC: * ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft
    | Windows is Not Present
    | MS: * May I have your product key, sir.
    | IC: * [gives completely valid product key]
    | MS: * Ok, sir. Can you please reboot your PC?
    | IC: * Will that solve the problem?
    | MS: * Please reboot your PC, sir.
    | IC: * Ok, ok, wait a minute.
    | MS: * Please call us again if you eXPerience any more problems. Have a
    | nice day, sir. [click]
    `----

    http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_b...ofts_genu.html

    I work for MS but even I struggle to get a hot-fix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem took 260 minutes to resolve from start to
    | finish and an estimated 90 minutes of Ledgard's time,
    | not including the time it took to write-up his problems...
    | Still, the frustrations experienced by Ledgard give
    | a salutary lesson that Microsoft's online product
    | support is mediocre, at best, and will surely strike
    | a chord with many long-suffering sys admins.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._hot-fix_hell/

    The top Linux support weaknesses, then and now

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2003, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com visited the Linux support landscape
    | with a list of Linux support weaknesses. A lot has happened over the
    | past four years, as is evident in the success of Red Hat and
    | Novell's subscription-based support models and the meteoric
    | rise of commercial-grade Ubuntu support, to name a few.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...262974,00.html

    Microsoft Y2K bug circa 1998?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On January 8th of this week my parents received a phone call which they
    | dodged because the call was coming through at 11:00 p.m. at night.
    |
    | The next day they retrieved the voicemail message which was from Microsoft
    | technical support calling me back to see if my problem has been resolved.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I remember in the past year or so when I called Microsoft and the problem was
    | not resolved (BSOD after Microsoft patch) that Microsoft did call me back the
    | next day to see if i made any progress in my little computer crises (which I
    | though was super cool of them... I was really impressed)... *
    | but wait a second .... or wait 315,569,260 seconds ....
    | Microsoft hadn't done this (call me back that is) the first time I called ...
    | and I called many years ago.... but that must have been when I was living at
    | home with my parents..... which is why they called me at my parents phone
    | number. *
    `----

    http://bicbickers.blogspot.com/2008/...irca-1998.html

    Top 10 reasons why Microsoft's Xbox 360 Customer Service is "teh br0ken".

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So there you have it Microsoft, the Top 10 reasons your support
    | system is "teh br0ken", from my admittedly short experience with
    | it. When I'd assumed a company of your size would set the standard
    | for customer service, I didn't mean the standard by which to do
    | better than...
    |
    | I realize it's probably no great revelation that their customer
    | service sucks, but come on, why can't they fix this? Can they
    | only fix simple things? That makes them useless for people with
    | "real" problems.
    `----

    http://www.gamercastnetwork.com/foru...5&postcount=68

    Another Xbox Support Nightmare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We seem to be receiving an increasing number of horror stories from
    | Xbox 360 owners who have had to call Microsoft's Bangalore-based
    | tech support call center. When your reason for calling is a
    | bricked console, one would think it would be a painless and
    | quick procedure to get the thing replaced or repaired.
    | Apparently not the case, according to Brent from Consumerist.com
    `----

    http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10875/

    Which is better for technical support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have found in general that with open source support you often get
    | more than what you pay for but with closed source support, by some of
    | the biggest names in software, the support is often lacking in the
    | value department. With open source asking for support has generally
    | resulted in a solution within a week and I have never paid for it.
    | However with closed source companies I have open tickets that have
    | not been resolved in months. With open source I can communicate
    | directly with the author(s) of the program and work closely with
    | them to find a solution. Closed source on the other hand has just
    | requested information, verified the bug and then informed us that
    | the solution may be available in the next release of the program.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-support-13621
    http://tinyurl.com/ygspn7

  2. Re: [News] Sun Executive Busts Myths About Support in Free Software, Praises GNU/Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > | behind it” like Microsoft. First of all, from an OS standpoint, support
    > of
    > | Linux distros by the companies that publish them has come a long way in
    > the
    > | past few years. Companies like Canonical (the distributor of Ubuntu
    > Linux),
    > | Novell (SuSE Linux), and Red Hat offer support programs that can assist
    > you
    > | with your problem, although these programs vary in pricing and how they
    > are
    > | conducted. The point is, however, that despite the fact that the OS is
    > | developed, maintained, and improved by an amorphous body of programmers
    > (the
    > | open source community), there are real companies behind the distros that
    > will
    > | be there if you have a question or problem.

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows