[News] Visual Tour of Firefox 3; OpenOffice.org a Bit More Like Firefox - Linux

  1. [News] Visual Tour of Firefox 3; OpenOffice.org a Bit More Like Firefox

    Field Guide to Firefox 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We’re done. Firefox 3 is going to be launched very soon. In anticipation of
    | this long-awaited event, the folks in the Mozilla community have been writing
    | extensively about the new and improved features you’ll see in the browser.
    | The new features cover the full range from huge and game-changing to ones so
    | subtle you may not notice them until you realize that using Firefox is just
    | somehow easier and better. The range of improved features is similar — whole
    | back-end systems have been rebuilt from scratch, while other features have
    | been tweaked slightly or redesigned in small ways. Overall the result is the
    | fastest, safest, slimmest, and easiest to use version of Firefox yet. We hope
    | you like it.
    `----

    http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/

    OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org gets its Extensions, just like Firefox!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OpenOffice.org Italian Association announced that more than 100
    | Extensions nowadays are available for download.
    |
    | Everyone now can go and choose from a variety of different extensions,
    | adjusting OpenOffice.org to her needs.
    `----

    http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/...-like-firefox/
    http://tinyurl.com/5zrcd9

    Recent:

    90 things that are the same in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've put together three articles, showing tasks that are the same between
    | Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org.
    `----

    http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffi...officeorg.html

    The Fall of Microsoft Office

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On the same day that the state of New York published a report supporting open
    | formats for electronic documents, mighty Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) said that
    | it would support the open-source ODF format in Office 2007. Redmond's own
    | Open Office XML specification may be heading for the great Recycle Bin in the
    | sky, never to come back.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I can't say that Google or Sun or anybody else just won a bigger share of the
    | office software market, and if they did, it won't help their revenue or
    | profits directly anyway. But it's clear as day that Microsoft just took a
    | serious hit, and the impact may take a long time to make itself felt but it
    | will come.
    `----

    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ft-office.aspx

    Is Microsoft Office in trouble?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And, now Microsoft isn't hurrying to support its own format, but it is moving
    | to support PDF and ODF... Could it be that all those copies of Office 2007
    | Microsoft boasts of selling are collecting dust at reseller and retailer
    | warehouses instead of being used on office systems? Could users be sticking
    | with their older copies of Office and when they do want to move to something
    | newer, they're moving to OpenOffice and Google instead?
    |
    | Interesting isn't it?
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_mi...ice_in_trouble

    Microsoft can’t support Open XML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If Microsoft can’t give users a compelling reason to switch from their old
    | version of Office to Office 14 their cash-flow is going to slow down
    | considerably.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/business/m...port-open-xml/

    Is Office the new Netscape?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the cornerstones of Microsoft's competitive strategy over the years
    | has been to redefine competitors' products as features of its own products.
    | Whenever some upstart PC software company started to get traction with a new
    | application - the Netscape browser is the most famous example - Microsoft
    | would incorporate a version of the application into its Office suite or
    | Windows operating system, eroding the market for the application as a
    | standalone product and starving its rival of economic oxygen (ie, cash). It
    | was an effective strategy as well as a controversial one.
    |
    | Now, though, the tables may be turning. Google is trying to pull a Microsoft
    | on Microsoft by redefining core personal-productivity applications -
    | calendars. word processing, spreadsheets, etc. - as features embedded in
    | other products. There's a twist, though. Rather than just incorporating the
    | applications as features in its own products, Google is offering them up to
    | other companies, particularly big IT vendors, to incorporate as features in
    | their products.
    `----

    http://www.roughtype.com/archives/20...f_the_corn.php

    Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
    | attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
    | taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
    | Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
    | laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
    | have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
    |
    | Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
    | more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
    | distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
    | company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

  2. Re: [News] Visual Tour of Firefox 3; OpenOffice.org a Bit More Like Firefox

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Field Guide to Firefox 3
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | We’re done. Firefox 3 is going to be launched very soon. In anticipation
    > of
    > | this long-awaited event, the folks in the Mozilla community have been
    > writing
    > | extensively about the new and improved features you’ll see in the
    > browser.
    > | The new features cover the full range from huge and game-changing to
    > ones so
    > | subtle you may not notice them until you realize that using Firefox is
    > just
    > | somehow easier and better. The range of improved features is similar —
    > whole
    > | back-end systems have been rebuilt from scratch, while other features
    > have
    > | been tweaked slightly or redesigned in small ways. Overall the result is
    > the
    > | fastest, safest, slimmest, and easiest to use version of Firefox yet. We
    > hope
    > | you like it.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/
    >
    > OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org gets its Extensions, just like Firefox!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The OpenOffice.org Italian Association announced that more than 100
    > | Extensions nowadays are available for download.
    > |
    > | Everyone now can go and choose from a variety of different extensions,
    > | adjusting OpenOffice.org to her needs.
    > `----
    >
    > http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/...-like-firefox/
    > http://tinyurl.com/5zrcd9
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > 90 things that are the same in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I've put together three articles, showing tasks that are the same
    > between
    > | Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org.
    > `----
    >
    > http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffi...officeorg.html