[News] [Rival] Microsoft Backstabs Own People by Faking and Lying About OSS - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Backstabs Own People by Faking and Lying About OSS

    Microsoft's Open Source Faux Pas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The fix to Microsoft's open source faux pas creates another problem:
    | Developers were relying on Sandcastle to produce code documentation. Numerous
    | documentation tool summarily yanked out from under their projects.
    `----

    http://reddevnews.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2281

    The Inevitability of Open Source Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is going to become an OSS company, not a FOSS company. (See what
    | the “F” stands for here.) We are already seeing the early signs of this. They
    | have created a couple of open source licenses and have submitted them for
    | approval successfully with the Open Source Initiative. Microsoft has pledged
    | to become a more open company. Although the said pledge has been received
    | with a lot of skepticism, I think they really mean it. They have to.
    | Microsoft is now hard at work trying to convince the world that they really
    | have changed. Is all this going to be enough? I don’t think so.
    `----

    http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...ource-windows/

    Microsoft calls open source "communism" and unamerican. Nothing ever changed.
    They just try to redefine OSS so as to mean something totally different.

    Trop de Tropes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This trope of openness being "just another business model" is a favourite of
    | Microsoft's, alongside "we need more than one standard for a given area, to
    | promote choice" - when what are needed are *implementations* of a single
    | standard. These rhetorical siblings are rather desperate, if amusingly
    | Jesuitical, attempts to use words to gloss over the reality.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...de-tropes.html

    Another faker:

    VIA Evaluating Its Open-Source Role

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With VIA still thinking of what to do for the open-source community, we're
    | looking at some time before the community sees any action -- even if VIA just
    | goes through half the protocols that AMD is going through with their
    | open-source process. Long story short, the silence isn't because VIA is busy
    | working on their open-source contributions, but they don't even know yet what
    | they want to do. By that time, NVIDIA could be opened up and AMD could be
    | working on open-source R800 specifications.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjUyMg

    Related:

    Steve Ballmer: "I would love to see all open source innovation happen on top of
    Windows"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Ballmer apparently likes open source. Well, so long as it drives
    | Windows revenue. And doesn't replace any. Ever. In fact, as he said at an
    | event in Microsoft last week in London that he hopes to see all open-source
    | innovation going to Windows, rather than Linux (more below). *
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9....html?tag=more

    Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
    | products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
    | San Francisco.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

    Steve Ballmer on Open Source, Online and Other

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Any plans to bring development tools to other platforms? No.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...tml?source=rss

    OSI approves Microsoft licenses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For now though it’s all eyes on Microsoft to see what the company will do
    | next, and in many ways this will be more interesting than whether or not the
    | OSI approved the licenses. For reasons that were never fully explained,
    | Microsoft wanted open source licenses. *
    |
    | Now that it’s got them, will it use them to release significant code to the
    | community? *
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...soft-licenses/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Backstabs Own People by Faking and Lying About OSS

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Microsoft's

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks