[News] Free Software Fights Against the Great DRM Scam - Linux

  1. [News] Free Software Fights Against the Great DRM Scam

    Relevance of Free Software and its Philosophy in the Digital Era

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So this is the very DRM-(Digital Restrictions Management).Where the profit
    | makers of the old-technology are trying to build an artificial stop against
    | natural progress of technology.And What more?! They are using the very same
    | technology instead to restrict the people and make more profit by offering
    | more inconvenience that the old one didn't have.In the case of film
    | makers,They are using the very power of digital technology to restrict
    | copying of cds, and some times restricting the use of the cd by the direct
    | consumer himself for a second time.This is more explicit in the case of
    | E-Books. This can be related to the situation in which the consumer has to
    | pay again and again just to re-use the same "product" for which he has
    | already payed.In otherwords,the cost of "buying" of "objects" in digital era
    | can't be compared to the material objects.
    `----

    http://swatantran.blogspot.com/2008/...e-and-its.html

    [FSF] Free Software Supporter, June 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The DRM Elimination Crew attended the grand opening of Apple's new
    | store in Boston -- now its largest US store.
    |
    | The clear glass front of the store stands in stark contrast to Apple's
    | unethical business practices, including using opaque Digital
    | Restrictions Management software to take rights away from its
    | customers.
    |
    | Though Apple did attempt to have us evicted, the Boston police
    | apparently did not agree. They watched while we handed out flyers and
    | stickers and asked the people waiting in line to get in to make their
    | opposition to DRM known inside the store.
    |
    | *
    `----

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/in.../msg00000.html

    Recent:

    When DRM detonates your music collection

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
    | has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
    | DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
    | registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
    | server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
    | new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3898784.ece

    Related:

    Microsoft: We Like DRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
    | tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
    | in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
    | are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zun...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

  2. Re: [News] Free Software Fights Against the Great DRM Scam

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Relevance of Free Software and its Philosophy in the Digital Era
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | So this is the very DRM-(Digital Restrictions Management).Where the
    > profit
    > | makers of the old-technology are trying to build an artificial stop
    > against
    > | natural progress of technology.And What more?! They are using the very
    > same
    > | technology instead to restrict the people and make more profit by
    > offering
    > | more inconvenience that the old one didn't have.In the case of film
    > | makers,They are using the very power of digital technology to restrict
    > | copying of cds, and some times restricting the use of the cd by the
    > direct
    > | consumer himself for a second time.This is more explicit in the case of
    > | E-Books. This can be related to the situation in which the consumer has
    > | pay again and again just to re-use the same "product" for which he has
    > | already payed.In otherwords,the cost of "buying" of "objects" in digital
    > era
    > | can't be compared to the material objects.
    > `----
    >
    > http://swatantran.blogspot.com/2008/...e-and-its.html
    >
    > [FSF] Free Software Supporter, June 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The DRM Elimination Crew attended the grand opening of Apple's new
    > | store in Boston -- now its largest US store.
    > |
    > | The clear glass front of the store stands in stark contrast to Apple's
    > | unethical business practices, including using opaque Digital
    > | Restrictions Management software to take rights away from its
    > | customers.
    > |
    > | Though Apple did attempt to have us evicted, the Boston police
    > | apparently did not agree. They watched while we handed out flyers and
    > | stickers and asked the people waiting in line to get in to make their
    > | opposition to DRM known inside the store.
    > |
    > | *
    > `----
    >
    > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/in.../msg00000.html
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > When DRM detonates your music collection
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that
    > Microsoft
    > | has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing.
    > For
    > | DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
    > | registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
    > | server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads
    > with a
    > | new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as
    > PlaysForSure.
    > `----
    >
    > http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3898784.ece
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Microsoft

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] Free Software Fights Against the Great DRM Scam

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:48:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Relevance of Free Software and its Philosophy in the Digital Era

    Sorry, I fell asleep reading it.
    Give me the short version next time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb