[News] Free Software Increasingly Becomes Industry Policy Outside the US - Linux

  1. [News] Free Software Increasingly Becomes Industry Policy Outside the US

    Open source as industrial policy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How far you go down that slippery slope shows how devoted you are to the
    | ideology.
    |
    | It has become clear to me over the last few years, however, that many
    | countries see open source as an important industrial policy. Ideology be
    | darned.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Europe isn’t the only place taking this stand. Brazil has long seen open
    | source as its route to software independence. Having built that independence
    | it now wants to export its fruits, starting with Africa.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2544

    Unsurprisingly, Republicans have just signed some deal with Microsoft. It's
    like imperialism. It can't last forever.

    Recent:

    Finally, My open letter on OOXML happenings in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My first anguish is the way the name of my colleagues and my Institution,
    | along with names of several others on the committee LITD 15, have been
    | maligned and tarnished by Microsoft. My second anguish is that Microsoft
    | persisted in its attempt to pressurize Indian leadership to change the Indian
    | stand, in spite of the fact that a due process established by the Government
    | had completed its job, recommending no change in the Indian vote. These two
    | things, amongst others, have caused me to lose my peace of mind and my sleep
    | over last two months. I share my thoughts (which sometimes have been rather
    | wild), and my anguish in this section.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If no citation from the new standard (as on 20th March 2008) is available
    | from these members, should the nation now conclude that these 4 organizations
    | deliberately acted against Indian national interests? If there is any
    | evidence of support now found to have been given by any one of these 4
    | organizations to the efforts of Microsoft to pressurize the Indian Government
    | to change our vote, should the nation now conclude that there indeed is
    | a ‘secret alliance with Microsoft to loot the country’?
    `----

    http://deepakphatak.blogspot.com/2008/05/this-is.html

    What Policy Should India Adopt for ICT in School Education?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Considering that computer science is a strange mix of deep theory as well as
    | sophisticated technology, it is very vital for any society to use this
    | transparently. Else, we will let some agencies become monopolies. This is a
    | serious danger to digital society because, the data that is digitized belongs
    | to you and me, and not to the company. But, in reality today, our data has
    | been handed over to the proprietary companies, since they alone have the
    | license to decode our own documents. This will create a possibility for
    | computer crime, which is happening all around our eyes. We should we let this
    | happen?
    `----

    http://gnowgi.org/2008/04/27/what-po...ool-education/

    South Africans don’t understand OSS - Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite having an open source strategy the South African government doesn’t
    | really understand how to benefit from OSS. This is according to Microsoft
    | director of corporate standards, Jason Matusow. Matusow, who was in South
    | Africa on an “external outreach” trip around the time SA adopted ODF as a
    | national standard, writes on his blog that not only does government not
    | understand how to benefit from open source software, but South Africans were
    | unlikely to ever do any “deep” development work on Linux.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2432

  2. Re: [News] Free Software Increasingly Becomes Industry Policy Outside the US

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Open source as industrial policy
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | How far you go down that slippery slope shows how devoted you are to the
    > | ideology.
    > |
    > | It has become clear to me over the last few years, however, that many
    > | countries see open source as an important industrial policy. Ideology be
    > | darned.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Europe isn’t the only place taking this stand. Brazil has long seen open
    > | source as its route to software independence. Having built that
    > independence
    > | it now wants to export its fruits, starting with Africa.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2544
    >
    > Unsurprisingly, Republicans have just signed some deal with Microsoft.

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows