[News] Wine's 1.0 Release is Near - Linux

  1. [News] Wine's 1.0 Release is Near

    Finally, it's time for Wine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fifteen years in the making, everyone's favorite software to run Windows
    | programs on Linux and Unix, Wine, is almost ready for its 1.0 release.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/138160

    Other F/OSS projects in the spotlight:

    Avidemux cuts out video editing stress

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Making simple edits to videos of all formats shouldn't be tricky business,
    | but most tools out there either do way too much or are so belabored with ads
    | that who knows what evil lurks within their code.
    `----

    http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9966738-12.html

    Sun taking on LeftHand with open source IP SAN code

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun's Comstar open source code transforms an OpenSolaris server and its
    | direct-attached disks into a SAN (storage area network) accessed over iSCSI
    | links.
    `----

    http://blocksandfiles.com/article/5533

    Recent:

    Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most
    | popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the
    | evening of April 13th, eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee
    | UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs) and there’s also the Linux-fueled Nokia N800 tablet
    | for a total of nine Linux systems. There are also seven Mac models on the
    | list, topped by the Apple MacBook MB403LL/A 13.3-inch; Laptop. Finally,
    | beneath almost all the Linux PCs and all of the Macs, you’ll find four, count *
    | em four, Vista-powered laptops. * * *
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...its-last-legs/

    The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
    | has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
    | perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
    | to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
    | Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
    | the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
    | alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
    | flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years. * * *
    |
    | So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
    | more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
    | flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
    | specifically optimized. *
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

  2. Re: [News] Wine's 1.0 Release is Near

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:26:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Finally, it's time for Wine

    WTF?
    That's all you do 24x7 Spamowitz.
    Whine....

    Oh, you said wine...
    My mistake.

    Well in that case, don't drink too much because you remember the last time
    you posted to COLA drunk.
    Something about a brawl in a bar....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb