[News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source - Linux

  1. [News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source

    Becta, open source and education: Too little, too late?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools can be
    | attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    | arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities of
    | the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    | awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack of
    | coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    | exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level that
    | have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only solutions.
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late

    BECTA seems to have chosen a Microsoft/Windows shop (for so-called 'open
    source' at schools) whose site just won't work without Flash (the site runs
    Windows). What a farce! Later on they might use this farce to throw 'blame'
    and pull a Newham. People have begun slamming BECTA for it.

    Recent:

    Schools set to go open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Officially sanctioned open source and free-to-use software could be in use
    | across the UK education system within months after government education
    | agency Becta issued a tender for a four-year framework agreement.
    |
    | Becta is looking for up to 10 software suppliers to participate in the £80m
    | framework that will launch in October. This will replace its software
    | licensing framework, in place since April 2005.
    |
    | The contract notice says: “We are particularly seeking suppliers which can
    | provide a comprehensive choice of software solutions including appropriate
    | open source and free-to-use alternatives and advise users on best-value
    | licensing.”
    |
    | Solutions should be cost-effective, but provide freedom of choice, said a
    | Becta spokeswoman.
    |
    | “We’re providing guidance on the educational elements and looking for
    | suppliers that can provide comprehensive choice,” she said.
    `----

    http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...source-4017531

    Microsoft pledge could cut tech costs for schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a development that could make it easier for schools to use cheaper, open
    | technologies instead of proprietary programs, Microsoft said it will make its
    | Office 2007 software compatible with the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
    `----

    http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-...043&d=top-news

    London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial 10-year
    | Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with Microsoft in 2004 and drawn
    | up a new agreement with a new set of deliverables.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MICROSOFT has suffered further set-backs in the UK education sector this week
    | after Becta, the government procurement quango, reformed its purchasing
    | regime to break the software giant's hold on education, and launched a
    | programme to get schools to adopt open source software.
    |
    | At least three open source software suppliers submitted tenders to Becta
    | yesterday for the £270,000 Schools Open Source Project. The winner will spend
    | two years building a community of schools which uses and develops its own
    | open source alternatives to Microsoft software.
    |
    | Becta has also specifically called on open source companies to join its £80
    | million framework list of certified suppliers of software to schools,
    | contracts for which will be awarded in June. The last framework list
    | consisted entirely of Microsoft suppliers and drew Becta widespread criticism
    | for favouring the convicted monopolist over cheaper, homegrown alternatives.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-microsoft-uk

  2. Re: [News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Becta, open source and education: Too little, too late?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools can be
    > | attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    > | arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities
    > of
    > | the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    > | awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack
    > of
    > | coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    > | exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level
    > that
    > | have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only
    > solutions.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late
    >
    > BECTA seems to have chosen a Microsoft/Windows shop (for so-called 'open
    > source' at schools) whose site just won't work without Flash (the site
    > runs
    > Windows). What a farce! Later on they might use this farce to throw
    > 'blame'
    > and pull a Newham. People have begun slamming BECTA for it.
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Schools set to go open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Officially sanctioned open source and free-to-use software could be in
    > use
    > | across the UK education system within months after government education
    > | agency Becta issued a tender for a four-year framework agreement.
    > |
    > | Becta is looking for up to 10 software suppliers to participate in the
    > £80m
    > | framework that will launch in October. This will replace its software
    > | licensing framework, in place since April 2005.
    > |
    > | The contract notice says: “We are particularly seeking suppliers which
    > can
    > | provide a comprehensive choice of software solutions including
    > appropriate
    > | open source and free-to-use alternatives and advise users on best-value
    > | licensing.”
    > |
    > | Solutions should be cost-effective, but provide freedom of choice, said
    > | Becta spokeswoman.
    > |
    > | “We’re providing guidance on the educational elements and looking for
    > | suppliers that can provide comprehensive choice,” she said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...source-4017531
    >

    > Microsoft

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Becta, open source and education: Too little, too late?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools can be
    >| attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    >| arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities of
    >| the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    >| awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack of
    >| coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    >| exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level that
    >| have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only solutions.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late
    >
    > BECTA seems to have chosen a Microsoft/Windows shop (for so-called 'open
    > source' at schools) whose site just won't work without Flash (the site runs
    > Windows). What a farce! Later on they might use this farce to throw 'blame'
    > and pull a Newham. People have begun slamming BECTA for it.

    It's a total disaster, and indicates just how little Becta have really
    understood regarding the nature of foss in terms of business models,
    development models, openness, avoidance of lock-in and so on. They've
    fallen back on "safe territory", amazingly, to a supplier which clearly
    knows absolutely nothing about open-source. No doubt that proprietary
    vendors, in particular Microsoft, are very happy about this indeed. It
    would be very interesting to find out just what the criteria were for
    the selection of an open-source supplier in this space, how those
    criteria were applied, and how open they were. This decision stinks of
    inappropriate behaviour.

  4. Re: [News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 14 June 2008 14:31 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Becta, open source and education: Too little, too late?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools can be
    >>| attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    >>| arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities of
    >>| the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    >>| awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack of
    >>| coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    >>| exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level
    >>| that have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only
    >>| solutions.
    >> `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late

    >> BECTA seems to have chosen a Microsoft/Windows shop (for so-called 'open
    >> source' at schools) whose site just won't work without Flash (the site runs
    >> Windows). What a farce! Later on they might use this farce to throw 'blame'
    >> and pull a Newham. People have begun slamming BECTA for it.
    >>

    > It's a total disaster, and indicates just how little Becta have really
    > understood regarding the nature of foss in terms of business models,
    > development models, openness, avoidance of lock-in and so on. They've
    > fallen back on "safe territory", amazingly, to a supplier which clearly
    > knows absolutely nothing about open-source. No doubt that proprietary
    > vendors, in particular Microsoft, are very happy about this indeed. It
    > would be very interesting to find out just what the criteria were for
    > the selection of an open-source supplier in this space, how those
    > criteria were applied, and how open they were. This decision stinks of
    > inappropriate behaviour.

    Wait until the 'consultants' say that them took them *hours* to discover out
    how to add a programs menu item (because computer=Windows) or cost them
    hundreds of dollars to buy anti-spyware software for each Linux box (yeah,
    like by 'open source' they mean anything GPL).

    I am still stunned at the sight of their Web site. It's. All. Flash. And it's
    on Windows.

    Fasten your seatbelt. This BECTA scam is going to come under scrutiny for quite
    some time. People are watching what started with BECTA shooting the big toe.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=

+ Reply to Thread