[News] New Release Candidate of Linux 2.6.26 is Released - Linux

  1. [News] New Release Candidate of Linux 2.6.26 is Released

    Linux 2.6.26-rc6

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'd like to say that the diffs are shrinking and things are calming down,
    | but I'd be lying. Another week, another -rc, and I another 350 commits.
    | Yes, the diff is smaller than the one from rc4 to rc5 (despite having more
    | commits), so we're on the right trajectory, but I was hoping for less
    | churn at this stage.
    |
    | As usual, most of the changes are to drivers (with arch updates a strong
    | second). The DVB updates are the biggest chunk of that, but on the whole
    | it's quite spread out. As mentioned, the diffs are smaller and there are
    | more commits, and yes, most of the commits are really rather small and
    | trivial fixes.
    `----

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/12/435

    Related:

    The State of the Linux Driver Address

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In general, though, Kroah-Hartman sees people’s perception of there not being
    | enough Linux drivers as a myth.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...river-address/

    A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
    | all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
    | that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
    | than Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
    | evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
    | I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
    | a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
    | media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
    | worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
    | not belong in operating systems.
    `----

    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

  2. Re: [News] New Release Candidate of Linux 2.6.26 is Released

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Linux 2.6.26-rc6
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I'd like to say that the diffs are shrinking and things are calming
    > down,
    > | but I'd be lying. Another week, another -rc, and I another 350 commits.
    > | Yes, the diff is smaller than the one from rc4 to rc5 (despite having
    > more
    > | commits), so we're on the right trajectory, but I was hoping for less
    > | churn at this stage.
    > |
    > | As usual, most of the changes are to drivers (with arch updates a strong
    > | second). The DVB updates are the biggest chunk of that, but on the whole
    > | it's quite spread out. As mentioned, the diffs are smaller and there are
    > | more commits, and yes, most of the commits are really rather small and
    > | trivial fixes.
    > `----
    >
    > http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/12/435
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > The State of the Linux Driver Address
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In general, though, Kroah-Hartman sees people’s perception of there not
    > being
    > | enough Linux drivers as a myth.
    > `----
    >
    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...river-address/