[News] Getting the Facts Straight on the Success of Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Getting the Facts Straight on the Success of Linux - Linux ; Get the Facts Straight ,----[ Quote ] | Linux is the best kernel there is, and the OSes built off of it are the best | around. Period. There, I said it. | | [...] | | The only little ...

  1. [News] Getting the Facts Straight on the Success of Linux

    Get the Facts Straight

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is the best kernel there is, and the OSes built off of it are the best
    | around. Period. There, I said it.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The only little kernel that could.
    |
    | * Supercomputers - as of 2007 Linux ran 85% of the worlds top
    | supercomputers. Only 6 ( 1.2% ) were Windows based. .4% were Macs, and
    | the rest are various flavors of BSD and Unix.
    | http://www.top500.org/stats/list/30/osfam
    `----

    http://tuxtraining.com/2008/06/11/ge...acts-straight/

    Recent:

    Why Linux won the embedded market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One story not told often enough involves Linux’ growing domination of the
    | embedded market.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501

  2. Re: [News] Getting the Facts Straight on the Success of Linux

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:05:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Get the Facts Straight
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Linux is the best kernel there is, and the OSes built off of it are the best
    >| around. Period. There, I said it.

    Nobody but a total geek cares about a kernel.
    People want applications and could care less about an operating system.
    For example when I can buy a PDA that was released today and be guaranteed
    that it will work with my PC, like it does with Windows and Mac, then Linux
    will be ready.
    I don't want to wait for the Linux basement warez programmers to reverse
    engineer the gadget and release a driver 2 years after the device is
    already obsolete.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: