[News] ODF Alliance Pleased with EU Backing of Open Standards - Linux

  1. [News] ODF Alliance Pleased with EU Backing of Open Standards

    The ODF Alliance Backs the EU's Call for Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The end is near for the era of public information being locked-in a closed
    | format," said Marino Marcich, Managing Director of the ODF Alliance, in
    | response to Kroes' comments made June 10th in a speech before OpenForum
    | Europe. "The OpenDocument Format, with its status as the only internationally
    | recognized open standard document format with a wide range of supporting
    | applications, is a critical tool for governments to help end the era of
    | lock-in."
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/164900-blog/the-o...pen-source#rss

    ISO: there can be only one

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ONLY ONE STANDARD type of electronic document will survive the struggle for
    | supremacy between convicted monopolist Microsoft and the Open Source
    | movement, said the world's leading standards regulator.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir.../06/12/iso_one

    Recent:

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

    Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038...port-for-ooxml

    Microsoft Launches OnMyWay

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has just launched a program called OnMyWay, by which Microsoft will
    | offer training and financial help to young people.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I have a working theory for your consideration. I noticed something striking.
    | While the ads are being run so far only in those four countries, and it's
    | supposed to be a global branding campaign, if you look at who is on the list
    | of those who have gotten help from the program already, you see groups from
    | the UK, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland and
    | Italy. I took a look at how each country on this list voted on OOXML in
    | March.
    |
    | The Czech Republic, the UK, Germany, Denmark, Finland and Norway all voted to
    | approve OOXML.
    |
    | This was a change for each of them. In September, the Czech Republic, the UK,
    | Denmark, and Norway had voted to disapprove, so this was a change in
    | Microsoft's favor. Finland abstained in September, and it voted to approve in
    | March as well.
    `----

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

    South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
    | the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
    | call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
    | have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
    |
    | Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
    | bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
    | pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
    | Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
    | we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
    | appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
    | cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468...dards-body-now

  2. Re: [News] ODF Alliance Pleased with EU Backing of Open Standards

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > The ODF Alliance Backs the EU's Call for Open Source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "The end is near for the era of public information being locked-in a
    > closed
    > | format," said Marino Marcich, Managing Director of the ODF Alliance, in
    > | response to Kroes' comments made June 10th in a speech before OpenForum
    > | Europe. "The OpenDocument Format, with its status as the only
    > internationally
    > | recognized open standard document format with a wide range of supporting
    > | applications, is a critical tool for governments to help end the era of
    > | lock-in."
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/164900-blog/the-o...pen-source#rss
    >
    > ISO: there can be only one
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | ONLY ONE STANDARD type of electronic document will survive the struggle
    > for
    > | supremacy between convicted monopolist Microsoft and the Open Source
    > | movement, said the world's leading standards regulator.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir.../06/12/iso_one
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office
    > Open XML
    > | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and
    > Ministry of
    > | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format
    > (ODF)
    > | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    > | Microsoft pressure tactics.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/128528
    >

    > Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML
    >
    > http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038...port-for-ooxml
    >

    > Microsoft

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks