Funambol - AGPL’d, ad-supported mobile open source

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, one of the more important and serious questions about Funambol
| centers on its licensing choice. Will AGPLv3 licensing, viewed as both a
| positive and a penalty by different parties, prove to fuel a larger, more
| effective developer community? Or will it mire the vendor and its SaaS model
| down in sharing requirements? Steger says the move appears to be paying off
| given Funambol was among the first to adopt the AGPLv3 and adoption of the
| license is now growing.

OrangeHRM Releases Version 2.3 of the Open-Source HR Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest version of OrangeHRM is available free of charge under GNU GPL
| open source license.

Do we need to protect open source from the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some view this as a simple loophole to be plugged. The GPL was originally
| written very much within the context of Unix programmatic and operating
| system interfaces. Therefore, the reasoning goes, the only reason the GPL
| didn't encompass access via Web services is that there were no Web
| services--at least in anything like their current form--when the GPL was
| created. That the new GPLv3 specifically doesn't address this "loophole"
| either was more a matter of practicality than principle by this view.
| And, in fact, one approach to eliminating this loophole is a straightforward
| enough approach. The Affero GPL is a straightforward extension to the GPLv3
| license that essentially expands the definition of distribution to encompass
| the delivery of services over the network.

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
| For all practical purposes, the AGPLv3 is a key advance for everyone involved
| in open source, regardless of if you are a software developer, Internet end
| user or enterprise end user. The AGPLv3 closes the ASP loophole and keeps the
| freedom of open source software alive, in the age of SaaS and hosted
| applications.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)