[News] Forrester 'Research' Paid by Microsoft for GNU/Linux FUD - Linux

  1. [News] Forrester 'Research' Paid by Microsoft for GNU/Linux FUD

    Forrester survey discovers that virtually no one uses open source (?!?)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Back in 2005, Microsoft was paying Forrester for anti-Linux research. I
    | assume that this report, referenced at the top of this post, is more of the
    | same. But even in the midst of FUD there is real data that can make
    | open-source vendors better.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9964505-16.html

    Links to:

    Commentary: Getting the Facts, Forrester-style

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Still browsing through Microsoft's Get the Facts campaign website, and I
    | think I found one of the primary reasons Microsoft is hammering on
    | the "You've already bought us once, why not more?" theme. Take a look at this
    | Forrester chart, available here in its original report, posted (and paid for)
    | by Microsoft.
    `----

    http://asay.blogspot.com/2005/09/com...forrester.html

    Does anyone /still/ not believe that these people are typically marketers in
    suits? They merely serve the affluent companies by sellling ('generating')
    so-called reports.

    “Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
    that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
    prickly to work with.”

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * –Microsoft, internal document

    Recent:

    Linux: Who got it right, who got it very wrong?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open-source software, once derided as the unsupportable and unreliable work
    | of hobbyists, has secured itself a place at the table of many a large
    | enterprise, although in ways that were different than many expected even five
    | years ago.
    |
    | By promoting a culture of transparency and forcing independent software
    | vendors and service providers to add value in new ways, open source can be
    | lauded for shaking up an industry that was ripe for a change. Instead of
    | thinking in terms of market domination and customer lock-in, the industry is
    | now prepared to work for its lunch — and to respect the customers' desire for
    | a better option, whether it's open source or otherwise.
    `----

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soft...9288936,00.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/5vslb8

    Related:

    A response to that FUD piece, "Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop", from
    Microsoft Shill, Michael Gartenberg:

    http://slated.org/linux_still_doesnt...op_is_pure_fud

    Evangelist Gartenberg back to being analyst

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After only three weeks at Microsoft as an "evangelist," Michael
    | Gartenberg is returning to his old job as vice president and
    | research director at JupiterResearch.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-616...0-20&subj=news

    Need some data to support your cause? Hire an analyst

    | CIO.com raises an important issue about the integrity of research being done
    | by industry analysts. Namely, if a sponsor pays for the research, do they get
    | favorable treatment in that research? *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm not suggesting that the research is corrupted. I'm just suggesting that
    | it's hard to remove the taint of sponsored research. Just take a look at
    | Gartner's "Hype Cycle" on open source, which is woefully inaccurate, probably
    | in part because Gartner gets its information from the vendors who sponsor its
    | research, not the customers who are buying into open source in droves. * *
    |
    | So, the next time you read a report, blog entry, or article, consider who
    | pays the writer (including when reading this blog).
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-989...bj=TheOpenRoad

    http://advice.cio.com/thomas_wailgum..._by?page=0%2C0

  2. Re: [News] Forrester 'Research' Paid by Microsoft for GNU/Linux FUD

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] Forrester 'Research' Paid by Microsoft for GNU/Linux FUD

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:52:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Forrester survey discovers that virtually no one uses open source (?!?)

    As a personal desktop system, that is true.
    Yet another survey shows Linux is not even on the radar map.

    So are *all* of these companies and surveys wrong, Roy Schestowitz?

    The truth sometimes hurts.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: