Has Becta shot itself in the foot? - Linux

This is a discussion on Has Becta shot itself in the foot? - Linux ; Is this two steps forward and one step back? http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...nub-uk-schools THE OPEN SOURCE community was bitterly disappointed today after the UK appointed an unknown consultancy to run an historic programme of advocacy in schools. International big hitters had piled behind ...

  1. Has Becta shot itself in the foot?

    Is this two steps forward and one step back?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...nub-uk-schools

    THE OPEN SOURCE community was bitterly disappointed today after the UK
    appointed an unknown consultancy to run an historic programme of advocacy
    in schools.
    International big hitters had piled behind UK open source houses bidding for
    a Becta contract to set up an open source community in the schools sector.
    It was seen as a breakthrough - an indication that convicted monopolist
    Microsoft was losing its grip on the sector.
    But Becta gave the open source community an almighty slap in the face when
    it turned down their three bids and awarded the business to a consultancy
    with no links to the open source community, said representatives of the
    community.
    Becta said in a written statement today: "Bids were invited and, following
    an evaluation process, the contract has been awarded to The Alphaplus
    Consultancy (Manchester)."
    It did not say why Alphaplus had been chosen over a line-up of prime open
    source bidders, but Mark Taylor, president of the Open Source Consortium,
    and whose consultancy Sirius bid for the work, said it was a mistake.

    "They've chosen the worst possible candidate because [Alphaplus] have no
    open source experience whatsoever," said Taylor.
    "The project is about open source in schools. Unless you have open source
    people in there, its nonsense," he said.

    John Winkley, a director of Alphaplus, said he wanted to clear his comments
    with Becta before saying what his firm could bring to the UK's schools open
    source community.
    But he refuted the allegation that Alphaplus wasn't qualified to do the
    work: "I think we are and BECTA clearly think we are," he said.

    At least they are trying to go down the right road, let's give Becta that
    credit.

  2. Re: Has Becta shot itself in the foot?

    ____/ SomeBloke on Friday 13 June 2008 09:01 : \____

    > Is this two steps forward and one step back?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...nub-uk-schools

    > THE OPEN SOURCE community was bitterly disappointed today after the UK
    > appointed an unknown consultancy to run an historic programme of advocacy
    > in schools.
    > International big hitters had piled behind UK open source houses bidding for
    > a Becta contract to set up an open source community in the schools sector.
    > It was seen as a breakthrough - an indication that convicted monopolist
    > Microsoft was losing its grip on the sector.
    > But Becta gave the open source community an almighty slap in the face when
    > it turned down their three bids and awarded the business to a consultancy
    > with no links to the open source community, said representatives of the
    > community.
    > Becta said in a written statement today: "Bids were invited and, following
    > an evaluation process, the contract has been awarded to The Alphaplus
    > Consultancy (Manchester)."
    > It did not say why Alphaplus had been chosen over a line-up of prime open
    > source bidders, but Mark Taylor, president of the Open Source Consortium,
    > and whose consultancy Sirius bid for the work, said it was a mistake.
    >
    > "They've chosen the worst possible candidate because [Alphaplus] have no
    > open source experience whatsoever," said Taylor.
    > "The project is about open source in schools. Unless you have open source
    > people in there, its nonsense," he said.
    >
    > John Winkley, a director of Alphaplus, said he wanted to clear his comments
    > with Becta before saying what his firm could bring to the UK's schools open
    > source community.
    > But he refuted the allegation that Alphaplus wasn't qualified to do the
    > work: "I think we are and BECTA clearly think we are," he said.
    >

    > At least they are trying to go down the right road, let's give Becta that
    > credit.

    I live in Manchester and I never heard of "Alphaplus". Let's hope it's not one
    of those who call "Open XML" open source and choose things like 'shared
    source' .NET. Open source can be quite meaningless unless those who look at it
    actually understand that it's about the licence, not some badge. Microsoft has
    been faking a lot of so-callled 'open source' to exploit loopholes and enter
    some contracts.

    Alphaplus deserves the benefit of the doubt though.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
    Cpu(s): 23.9%us, 3.6%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.5%id, 4.6%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: Has Becta shot itself in the foot?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I live in Manchester and I never heard of "Alphaplus". Let's hope it's not
    > one of those who call "Open XML" open source and choose things like
    > 'shared source' .NET. Open source can be quite meaningless unless those
    > who look at it actually understand that it's about the licence, not some
    > badge. Microsoft has been faking a lot of so-callled 'open source' to
    > exploit loopholes and enter some contracts.
    >
    > Alphaplus deserves the benefit of the doubt though.
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz

    This appears to be AlphaPlus's website.

    http://www.alphaplusconsultancy.co.u...tpage&Itemid=1

    It appears that they have wide experience of consulting work with various
    Government departments. This could mean that they will bring that to bear
    on the promotion of open source software, or it could mean that they simply
    know how to work the system to their associates benefit.

    Let's hope it's the former.

    Kind regards,

    Tim. (Yes, that really is my name Hadron, DFS et al!)

  4. Re: Has Becta shot itself in the foot?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:01:43 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Is this two steps forward and one step back?
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...nub-uk-schools
    >

    > THE OPEN SOURCE community was bitterly disappointed today after the UK
    > appointed an unknown consultancy to run an historic programme of advocacy
    > in schools.
    > International big hitters had piled behind UK open source houses bidding for
    > a Becta contract to set up an open source community in the schools sector.
    > It was seen as a breakthrough - an indication that convicted monopolist
    > Microsoft was losing its grip on the sector.
    > But Becta gave the open source community an almighty slap in the face when
    > it turned down their three bids and awarded the business to a consultancy
    > with no links to the open source community, said representatives of the
    > community.
    > Becta said in a written statement today: "Bids were invited and, following
    > an evaluation process, the contract has been awarded to The Alphaplus
    > Consultancy (Manchester)."
    > It did not say why Alphaplus had been chosen over a line-up of prime open
    > source bidders, but Mark Taylor, president of the Open Source Consortium,
    > and whose consultancy Sirius bid for the work, said it was a mistake.
    >
    > "They've chosen the worst possible candidate because [Alphaplus] have no
    > open source experience whatsoever," said Taylor.
    > "The project is about open source in schools. Unless you have open source
    > people in there, its nonsense," he said.
    >
    > John Winkley, a director of Alphaplus, said he wanted to clear his comments
    > with Becta before saying what his firm could bring to the UK's schools open
    > source community.
    > But he refuted the allegation that Alphaplus wasn't qualified to do the
    > work: "I think we are and BECTA clearly think we are," he said.
    >

    > At least they are trying to go down the right road, let's give Becta that
    > credit.

    Hahaha!
    They obviously saw the work in person and decided to move on.

    It's typical in the Linux and open source community.

    Look at he pitiful way the OLPC was managed.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread