[News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix - Linux

  1. [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    [A debate became an article:]

    Ubuntu gets the Remix right

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
    | recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be used
    | on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu, this is
    | aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
    | course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has enjoyed
    | success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    New review (good publicity):

    Ubuntu Netbook Remix - Linux's great white hope?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu Netbook Remix is a version on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Herron) that's
    | optimised for devices with small screens - Netbook is one of several terms
    | kicking around to describe small, low-powered PCs.
    `----

    http://blogs.smh.com.au/gadgetsonthe...linuxs_gr.html

    Recent:

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical is positioning itself to take the lead on software in the
    | subnotebook market, but a big piece of the puzzle is still absent: customers.
    | Although Canonical is working closely with Intel on reference designs, there
    | is no word yet about potential commercial adopters for the Netbook Remix. No
    | major OEMs have revealed plans to use it yet and Canonical is still actively
    | looking for new partners in the hardware space. Regardless of whether it gets
    | picked up by hardware makers like Asus, it is sure to be a big hit with
    | Ubuntu's fans. The fact that so many users are installing the regular desktop
    | version of Ubuntu on their Eee laptops is strong indication that there is
    | demand for Ubuntu on subnotebooks.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ook-remix.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3laf8b

    The Schnorring of America -- Obama is About to End It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill Clinton paid lip service to "ubuntu" in a 2006 speech in England, but
    | lip service was all it was. He was actually being his usual schnorrer self,
    | making one of his highly paid speeches that helped fund Hillary's futile
    | presidential bid.
    |
    | When you think of someone like Obama replacing Bush and Billary, think of
    | Linux replacing Windows.
    |
    | Ubuntu first entered the Western world lexicon as the name of the most easily
    | accessible version of Linux, the computer operating system that provides a
    | fresh, clean change from Windows.
    |
    | As a philosophy both in the high-tech world and in society as a whole, ubuntu
    | stands for open-source relations among people. And Obama presents the
    | possibility of, as a major example, a major change in race relations.
    `----

    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...schnorring.php

    The Ultimate Ultraportable?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I've noted a number of times, I think the appearance of the ultraportable
    | platform will provide a huge boost for GNU/Linux among ordinary users, and
    | prove to be a watershed in the history of open source. The combination of
    | ultraportable form factor with Ubuntu's ease-of-use will only magnify that
    | effect. And if the rumours about Dell's new mini Inspiron running Ubuntu
    | (presumably the Netbook Remix) prove correct, we could be witnessing the
    | birth of the ultimate ultraportable.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=870&blogid=14

  2. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    > Ubuntu gets the Remix right
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
    >| recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be used
    >| on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu, this is
    >| aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
    >| course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has enjoyed
    >| success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    Up yours, Roy, for that one . Why? Goddam "Microsoft Office
    Live" panel advertisements floating /over the article text/.

    And it won't go away! The first two paragraphs, half-covered.

    Ah, a reload fixes it.

    I just /luuuuuv/ how Microsoft is wallpapering the internet, including
    Linux-related site, with ads for their crapware.

    Aww Jesus, I go to the next page, and there's /another/ ad panel
    obscuring the text, for a different company.

    I just /luuuuuv/ the way companies are turning the internet into a
    frickin' teevee set.

    Anyway, decent article, rendered highly annoying by those ads.

    --
    Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether the idea will move
    the industry forward, they ask, 'how will it help us sell more copies of

  3. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

  4. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    >> Anyway, decent article, rendered highly annoying by those ads.

    > No Ad/JS block? I didn't even know they have ads. Earlier I noticed that some
    > Microsoft ads are getting past the filters at Linux Today. Let's hope the next
    > version of the plug-ins resolves this *ahem* severe bug.

    I've been trying to get by without extra crap to get around the crap.

    I may have to change my thinking... or just refuse to visit sites that
    try to force crap to execute in one's browser.

    I wonder how much en toto Microsoft pays for their ad crap on the
    internet.

    --
    Life is not fair; get used to it.
    -- Bill Gates

  5. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    "Linonut" schreef in bericht
    >* Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Ubuntu gets the Remix right
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution
    >>and
    >>| recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be
    >>used
    >>| on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu,
    >>this is
    >>| aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
    >>| course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has
    >>enjoyed
    >>| success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    > Up yours, Roy, for that one . Why? Goddam "Microsoft Office
    > Live" panel advertisements floating /over the article text/.
    >
    > And it won't go away! The first two paragraphs, half-covered.
    >
    > Ah, a reload fixes it.
    >
    > I just /luuuuuv/ how Microsoft

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  6. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  7. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:46:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ubuntu gets the Remix right

    Have they fixed all the freezing problems that users are complaining about
    WRT Ubuntu?

    If so, maybe they would like to share the fix with the Fedora people
    because that group is complaining about similar problems.

    > Ubuntu Netbook Remix - Linux's great white hope?

    Is this the year of Linux?
    I thought that was last year?
    2006?
    2005?
    etc....

    That statement is not politically correct BTW.
    Your editors over at Datamation would never let that one out the door.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs inUbuntu Notebook Remix

    On 2008-06-13, Linonut claimed:

    > I wonder how much en toto Microsoft pays for their ad crap on the
    > internet.

    A lot more than Vista, Zune and Xbox will get them for doing it.

    --
    Microsoft: The company that made web surfing dangerous.

  9. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-06-13, Linonut claimed:
    >
    >> I wonder how much en toto Microsoft pays for their ad crap on the
    >> internet.

    > A lot more than Vista, Zune and Xbox will get them for doing it.

    Well, there's always Office .

    --
    No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
    significant number of users want fixed.

  10. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    >> Up yours, Roy, for that one . Why? Goddam "Microsoft Office
    >> Live" panel advertisements floating /over the article text/.
    >>
    >> And it won't go away! The first two paragraphs, half-covered.
    >>
    >> Ah, a reload fixes it.

    > So does Privoxy, which dumped that garbage before I could even see it.

    Does it run on a 64-bit system?

    --
    The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to
    study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to

  11. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> So does Privoxy, which dumped that garbage before I could even see
    >>> it.

    >> Does it run on a 64-bit system?

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > It only runs on alpha amd64 arm hppa i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390
    > and sparc.
    >
    > [extra-wide-grin] (This /is/ Linux, remember.)
    >
    > It's best to set it up on a server, optionally peering to Squid, then
    > everyone on the network benefits.
    >
    > Just add this to squid conf:
    >
    > ######
    > cache_peer parent 8118 7 no-query
    > never_direct allow all
    > ######

    Maybe I should start running squid, too .

    --
    It's not manufacturers trying to rip anybody off or anything like that.
    There's nobody getting rich writing software that I know of.

+ Reply to Thread