The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall - Linux

This is a discussion on The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall - Linux ; More important, I recall that my biggest "gotcha" moment that day was when I saw the Xbox 360 development system, which was three—yes, three— PowerMac G5 towers linked together. Think about that for a second: These systems were ginormous. Three ...

  1. The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

    More important, I recall that my biggest "gotcha" moment that day was
    when I saw the Xbox 360 development system, which was three—yes, three—
    PowerMac G5 towers linked together. Think about that for a second:
    These systems were ginormous. Three of them were required to emulate a
    360. What made this troubling was that Microsoft had just recently
    revealed the final design of the 360 console itself, a relatively tiny
    and white box. How the heck, I asked Headrick, was Microsoft going to
    fit the power of three PowerMac G5s into that tiny little white box?

    "Oh, we've got guys who have already figured that out," Headrick told
    me, smiling. Like a used car salesman, in retrospect. "Smart guys."...

    I'd like to point out that the Sony PlayStation 3, for all its
    troubles in the marketplace, has been incredibly reliable. You never
    hear any stories about this thing failing. It runs quietly, even
    whisper-quietly, depending on what you're doing. And it's a bit bigger
    than the 360, because the power supply is on the inside where it
    belongs. Unlike the Wii, the PS3, like the 360, is a technological
    power house. And yet there are no problems. None. Huh.

    http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...60-recall.aspx

  2. Re: The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" writes:

    > More important, I recall that my biggest "gotcha" moment that day was
    > when I saw the Xbox 360 development system, which was three—yes, three—
    > PowerMac G5 towers linked together. Think about that for a second:
    > These systems were ginormous. Three of them were required to emulate a
    > 360. What made this troubling was that Microsoft had just recently
    > revealed the final design of the 360 console itself, a relatively tiny
    > and white box. How the heck, I asked Headrick, was Microsoft going to
    > fit the power of three PowerMac G5s into that tiny little white box?

    How stupid is this guy? What part of "emulator" eludes him?

    --
    If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

  3. Re: The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    When are you going to make one single post about Linux?

  4. Re: The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:47:03 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    > When are you going to make one single post about Linux?

    About the same time that Spamowitz graduates.
    IOW never....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:

    > More important, I recall that my biggest "gotcha" moment that day was
    > when I saw the Xbox 360 development system, which was three?yes, three?
    > PowerMac G5 towers linked together. Think about that for a second:
    > These systems were ginormous. Three of them were required to emulate a
    > 360. What made this troubling was that Microsoft had just recently
    > revealed the final design of the 360 console itself, a relatively tiny
    > and white box. How the heck, I asked Headrick, was Microsoft going to
    > fit the power of three PowerMac G5s into that tiny little white box?
    >
    > "Oh, we've got guys who have already figured that out," Headrick told
    > me, smiling. Like a used car salesman, in retrospect. "Smart guys."...
    >
    > I'd like to point out that the Sony PlayStation 3, for all its
    > troubles in the marketplace, has been incredibly reliable. You never
    > hear any stories about this thing failing. It runs quietly, even
    > whisper-quietly, depending on what you're doing. And it's a bit bigger
    > than the 360, because the power supply is on the inside where it
    > belongs. Unlike the Wii, the PS3, like the 360, is a technological
    > power house. And yet there are no problems. None. Huh.
    >

    > http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...60-recall.aspx

    It's amazing how rapidly the carefully constructed support systems are
    falling apart, as the performance of MS's creations hits the lowest
    point in their history. It would seem that there really is a limit to
    how much marketing spin people will accept.