[News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users - Linux

  1. [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    10 Things a new Linux user needs to unlearn

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1) Reboots are not SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). If an application
    | dies, or locks up (which is rare, but can happen, usually with bleeding edge
    | versions of apps), your OS is usually fine. If the app window stays open,
    | iconify it or run xkill and click on it, no worries. The same is true for
    | updates, software installs, etc. Except for kernel upgrades (infrequent), the
    | message "You must reboot for changes to take affect" or what ever you are
    | used to seeing is a thing of the past.
    |
    | 2) "It is recommended that you close all apps before proceeding" is a message
    | you will fail to see...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 10) You computer is yours. No one is phoning home to check up on you. None of
    | your music collection is about to be obsolete. None of your players require
    | any internet connection to a "validation server" and none of your computer
    | habits are being sent to any corporate entity that "believes strongly in your
    | privacy" while it collects stats, no program is going to ask for revalidation
    | if you decide to upgrade your motherboard, or video card, or add 3 USB hard
    | drives. Your computer is yours, and you are free.
    `----

    http://snehra.blogspot.com/2008/06/1...-needs-to.html

    Related:

    Windows XP OS is really quite a crock

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's amazing that Microsoft built-in a disk defragger into Windows XP,
    | but it didn't get around to building an operating system defragger.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Are there better ways to clean up and speed up a Windows XP? Sure,
    | there are plenty of different techniques and options, but if
    | Microsoft had some smarts, they'd build a lean-and-mean Vista
    | (since XP is now "legacy") for laptops and desktops without all
    | the assorted crap that they've built in over the years.
    `----

    Why Does Windows Get Slower Over Time?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The natural impulse is to blame Windows itself. The phenomenon is so
    | well known and widespread that some in the industry have even coined a
    | term for it: "Windows rot." The idea is that, for lack of a specific
    | cause, Windows just performs worse the longer you use it.
    `----

    http://www.playfuls.com/news_06892_W...Over_Time.html

  2. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > 10 Things a new Linux user needs to unlearn
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 1) Reboots are not SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). If an application
    > | dies, or locks up (which is rare, but can happen, usually with bleeding
    > edge
    > | versions of apps), your OS is usually fine. If the app window stays
    > open,
    > | iconify it or run xkill and click on it, no worries. The same is true
    > for
    > | updates, software installs, etc. Except for kernel upgrades
    > (infrequent), the
    > | message "You must reboot for changes to take affect" or what ever you
    > are
    > | used to seeing is a thing of the past.
    > |
    > | 2) "It is recommended that you close all apps before proceeding" is a
    > message
    > | you will fail to see...
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | 10) You computer is yours. No one is phoning home to check up on you.
    > None of
    > | your music collection is about to be obsolete. None of your players
    > require
    > | any internet connection to a "validation server" and none of your
    > computer
    > | habits are being sent to any corporate entity that "believes strongly in
    > your
    > | privacy" while it collects stats, no program is going to ask for
    > revalidation
    > | if you decide to upgrade your motherboard, or video card, or add 3 USB
    > hard
    > | drives. Your computer is yours, and you are free.
    > `----
    >
    > http://snehra.blogspot.com/2008/06/1...-needs-to.html
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Windows

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    twatfaced fake chrisv wrote:
    > Your post is off-topic in this group,

    You don't even read the posts anymore do you?
    How can "Things you'll need to unlearn as a linux user" be off topic?
    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > 10 Things a new Linux user needs to unlearn
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 1) Reboots are not SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). If an application
    > | dies, or locks up (which is rare, but can happen, usually with bleeding
    > | edge versions of apps), your OS is usually fine. If the app window stays
    > | open, iconify it or run xkill and click on it, no worries. The same is
    > | true for updates, software installs, etc. Except for kernel upgrades
    > | (infrequent), the message "You must reboot for changes to take affect"
    > | or what ever you are used to seeing is a thing of the past.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

    SOP!

    > | 2) "It is recommended that you close all apps before proceeding" is a
    > | message you will fail to see...

    BWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

    LOL!

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | 10) You computer is yours. No one is phoning home to check up on you.
    > | None of your music collection is about to be obsolete. None of your
    > | players require any internet connection to a "validation server" and
    > | none of your computer habits are being sent to any corporate entity that
    > | "believes strongly in your privacy" while it collects stats, no program
    > | is going to ask for revalidation if you decide to upgrade your
    > | motherboard, or video card, or add 3 USB hard drives. Your computer is
    > | yours, and you are free.
    > `----
    >
    > http://snehra.blogspot.com/2008/06/1...-needs-to.html

    I'm glad I made the switch to Linux.

    Not only is it a better OS, but all the people and attitudes are
    changing. It is now immensely funny seeing all those stupid
    messages and circus hoopy things that plague a WINDUMMY OSen.
    I just pity all the windummies and their asstroturfers
    persuing a creamy future getting creamed.

  5. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    "Andrew Halliwell" schreef in bericht
    > twatfaced fake chrisv wrote:
    >> Your post is off-topic in this group,

    > You don't even read the posts anymore do you?
    > How can "Things you'll need to unlearn as a linux user" be off topic?

    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  6. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:VWe4k.8120$E41.6019@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> 10 Things a new Linux user needs to unlearn
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | 1) Reboots are not SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). If an
    >> application
    >> | dies, or locks up (which is rare, but can happen, usually with bleeding
    >> | edge versions of apps), your OS is usually fine. If the app window
    >> stays
    >> | open, iconify it or run xkill and click on it, no worries. The same is
    >> | true for updates, software installs, etc. Except for kernel upgrades
    >> | (infrequent), the message "You must reboot for changes to take affect"
    >> | or what ever you are used to seeing is a thing of the past.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    >
    > SOP!

    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  7. Re: Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    On Jun 12, 2:40*pm, "chrisv" wrote:
    > "Andrew Halliwell" schreef in berichtnews:0v38i5-94q.ln1@ponder.sky.com...
    >
    > > twatfaced fake chrisv wrote:
    > >> Your post is off-topic in this group,

    > > You don't even read the posts anymore do you?
    > > How can "Things you'll need to unlearn as a linux user" be off topic?

    > Fsck you arsehole troll
    > *PLONK*

    "I will not have the law in my courtroom"

  8. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I'm glad I made the switch to Linux.
    >
    > Not only is it a better OS, but all the people and attitudes are
    > changing. It is now immensely funny seeing all those stupid
    > messages and circus hoopy things that plague a WINDUMMY OSen.
    > I just pity all the windummies and their asstroturfers
    > persuing a creamy future getting creamed.

    It is amazing, isn't it, how your perspective changes after using Linux
    for awhile.

    Apart from some work in Visual Studio and WinDBG, I can barely tolerate
    the Windows experience now. I limit it to the absolute minimum. No
    decent command-line (without a nice learning curve), crappy native text
    editor, no multiple virtual desktops built into it.

    The funny thing is that the Windows experience is not getting better,
    not even on the server. It's getting worse! Slower, no more reliable
    (that I can tell), odd changes in behavior with new service packs, awful
    "clustering".

    Even my Win 2000 VM -- started out pretty snappy, now it is basically
    painful to use, a real snoozer.

    And I'm not exaggerating this for effect -- I truly don't understand how
    most people can tolerate Windows.

    --
    I laid out memory so the bottom 640K was general purpose RAM and the upper
    384 I reserved for video and ROM, and things like that. That is why they

  9. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    Linonut writes:

    > * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I'm glad I made the switch to Linux.
    >>
    >> Not only is it a better OS, but all the people and attitudes are
    >> changing. It is now immensely funny seeing all those stupid
    >> messages and circus hoopy things that plague a WINDUMMY OSen.
    >> I just pity all the windummies and their asstroturfers
    >> persuing a creamy future getting creamed.

    > It is amazing, isn't it, how your perspective changes after using Linux
    > for awhile.
    >
    > Apart from some work in Visual Studio and WinDBG, I can barely tolerate
    > the Windows experience now. I limit it to the absolute minimum. No
    > decent command-line (without a nice learning curve), crappy native text
    > editor,

    It,s comments like this that mark you out for the liar and hypocrite you
    are. Vim, Vi, Emacs etc are, as in Linux, a mere download away.

    You're a fraud and no one believes a word you say anymore.

  10. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 13 June 2008 14:17 : \____

    > * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I'm glad I made the switch to Linux.
    >>
    >> Not only is it a better OS, but all the people and attitudes are
    >> changing. It is now immensely funny seeing all those stupid
    >> messages and circus hoopy things that plague a WINDUMMY OSen.
    >> I just pity all the windummies and their asstroturfers
    >> persuing a creamy future getting creamed.

    > It is amazing, isn't it, how your perspective changes after using Linux
    > for awhile.
    >
    > Apart from some work in Visual Studio and WinDBG, I can barely tolerate
    > the Windows experience now. I limit it to the absolute minimum. No
    > decent command-line (without a nice learning curve), crappy native text
    > editor, no multiple virtual desktops built into it.
    >
    > The funny thing is that the Windows experience is not getting better,
    > not even on the server. It's getting worse! Slower, no more reliable
    > (that I can tell), odd changes in behavior with new service packs, awful
    > "clustering".
    >
    > Even my Win 2000 VM -- started out pretty snappy, now it is basically
    > painful to use, a real snoozer.
    >
    > And I'm not exaggerating this for effect -- I truly don't understand how
    > most people can tolerate Windows.

    They buy a PC. Microsoft has had the back-room deals [1] force them to pay for
    Windows, and for other O/Ses be hard to install [2]. Microsoft is quite the
    0rganisation [3].

    ___
    [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01..._execs_jilted/

    [2] http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...00/px03020.pdf

    [3] http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71023002351958

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
    existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
    reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
    of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
    called, of the monopolist."
    --Milton Friedman

  11. Re: [News] Unnecessary 'Knowledge' for GNU/Linux Users

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:30:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * 7 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I'm glad I made the switch to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Not only is it a better OS, but all the people and attitudes are
    >>> changing. It is now immensely funny seeing all those stupid
    >>> messages and circus hoopy things that plague a WINDUMMY OSen.
    >>> I just pity all the windummies and their asstroturfers
    >>> persuing a creamy future getting creamed.

    >> It is amazing, isn't it, how your perspective changes after using Linux
    >> for awhile.
    >>
    >> Apart from some work in Visual Studio and WinDBG, I can barely tolerate
    >> the Windows experience now. I limit it to the absolute minimum. No
    >> decent command-line (without a nice learning curve), crappy native text
    >> editor,

    > It,s comments like this that mark you out for the liar and hypocrite you
    > are. Vim, Vi, Emacs etc are, as in Linux, a mere download away.
    >
    > You're a fraud and no one believes a word you say anymore.

    Yea, Linonut is obviously on the Spamowitz payroll as a lackey.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread