[News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany - Linux

  1. [News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany

    Debian GNU/Linux powers Max Planck Institute 32.8 TFlops supercomputer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A team of scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
    | have created Germany's 4th largest supercomputer by using Debian GNU/Linux.
    `----

    http://times.debian.net/1250-Debian-...anck-Institute

    Windows, better get ready for /scale/!

    Fujitsu Announces 5 TB Hard Disk Drives

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fujitsu researchers have developed the technology that will provide 1
    | Tb/inch2 density, now they're seeking to transfer it into commercial products
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fujit...es-87667.shtml

    Recent:

    Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has replaced
    | its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that can process
    | information vital to protection against typhoons, floods, droughts, tsunamis
    | and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of the cost.
    |
    | The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
    | gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
    | Debian Linux OS.
    |
    | "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora etc,"
    | said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855

    Deploying KDE [on Debian] to 52 million young people

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
    | fully deployed and in active use.
    |
    | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
    | serving some 52,000,000 students.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

  2. Re: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Recent:
    >
    > Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has
    > | replaced its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that
    > | can process information vital to protection against typhoons, floods,
    > | droughts, tsunamis and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of
    > | the cost.
    > |
    > | The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
    > | gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
    > | Debian Linux OS.
    > |
    > | "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora
    > | etc," said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855

    I would NEVER have seen this article. And this is why I look for your posts,
    each and every day.

    Here... a cluster made from 8 PC's running dual processor Xeons and Debian
    Linux, and has OUT PERFORMED and SGI super computer on both economy and
    performance.

    That, my friends, is news. And this is Linux Advocacy at it's best.

    Cheers, Roy.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has
    >> | replaced its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that
    >> | can process information vital to protection against typhoons, floods,
    >> | droughts, tsunamis and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of
    >> | the cost.
    >> |
    >> | The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
    >> | gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
    >> | Debian Linux OS.
    >> |
    >> | "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora

    F>> | etc," said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855
    >>

    > I would NEVER have seen this article. And this is why I look for your posts,
    > each and every day.
    >
    > Here... a cluster made from 8 PC's running dual processor Xeons and Debian
    > Linux, and has OUT PERFORMED and SGI super computer on both economy and
    > performance.
    >
    > That, my friends, is news. And this is Linux Advocacy at it's best.
    >
    > Cheers, Roy.

    Try subscribing to RSS feeds you sycophantic suck up.

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  4. Re: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany

    Jerry McBride espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has
    >> | replaced its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that
    >> | can process information vital to protection against typhoons, floods,
    >> | droughts, tsunamis and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of
    >> | the cost.
    >> |
    >> | The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
    >> | gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
    >> | Debian Linux OS.
    >> |
    >> | "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora
    >> | etc," said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855
    >>

    > I would NEVER have seen this article. And this is why I look for your posts,
    > each and every day.
    >
    > Here... a cluster made from 8 PC's running dual processor Xeons and Debian
    > Linux, and has OUT PERFORMED and SGI super computer on both economy and
    > performance.
    >
    > That, my friends, is news. And this is Linux Advocacy at it's best.

    Roy is doing an excellent job, long may he continue.