Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary..... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary..... - Linux ; "jim" wrote in message news:Pz34k.3177$3F5.2675@bignews2.bellsouth.net... > > "goarilla" wrote in message >> smbclient -L host (list shares) >> nmblookup -SM--workgroup (list master browser) >> mount -t smbfs -o user="usernam",password="password" \\host\share /mnt/ >> point (mounts windows share if you can mount ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....

  1. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....



    "jim" wrote in message
    news:Pz34k.3177$3F5.2675@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
    >
    > "goarilla" wrote in message



    >> smbclient -L host (list shares)
    >> nmblookup -SM--workgroup (list master browser)
    >> mount -t smbfs -o user="usernam",password="password" \\host\share /mnt/
    >> point (mounts windows share if you can mount it as cifs)

    >
    > OK, let's try this again....and this time pay attention......


    That is the wrong attitude!

    >
    > There are # of XP machines all connected to one router. This is called a
    > peer to peer network. There is no server.


    There is a "server", its the machine providing the share.
    M$ may call it something else but in this context it is a server.

    >
    > The XP machines share folders that ARE NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED.
    >
    > The Linux user does not know the names of all PCs on the p2p network, nor
    > does he know the names of all of the shares.


    What's P2P got to do with your previous posts?





  2. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....


    "dennis@home" wrote in message
    news:g2qik8$gku$1@news.datemas.de...
    >
    >
    > "jim" wrote in message
    > news:Pz34k.3177$3F5.2675@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
    >>
    >> "goarilla" wrote in message

    >
    >
    >>> smbclient -L host (list shares)
    >>> nmblookup -SM--workgroup (list master browser)
    >>> mount -t smbfs -o user="usernam",password="password" \\host\share /mnt/
    >>> point (mounts windows share if you can mount it as cifs)

    >>
    >> OK, let's try this again....and this time pay attention......

    >
    > That is the wrong attitude!


    Wrong attitude?!

    Dude, I have simply been looking for answers. And, I have been accused of
    being a troll, mocked, lied to and generally told to piss off by people that
    either (a) don't have a clue as to what the answers may actually be or (b)
    are simply Linux Zealots who are too busy hating to offer a hand to someone
    trying to make the switch to Linux.

    There is definitely a wrong attitude in these Linux NGs....but it didn't
    arrive with me.

    >
    >>
    >> There are # of XP machines all connected to one router. This is called a
    >> peer to peer network. There is no server.

    >
    > There is a "server", its the machine providing the share.
    > M$ may call it something else but in this context it is a server.


    In this context, as it was assummed by other Linux supporters in previous
    posts that authentication must tale place via something like Active
    Directory or a central server, I was trying to convey that there was no
    central authority with which you needed to authenticate on the XP peer to
    peer network.

    >>
    >> The XP machines share folders that ARE NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED.
    >>
    >> The Linux user does not know the names of all PCs on the p2p network, nor
    >> does he know the names of all of the shares.

    >
    > What's P2P got to do with your previous posts?


    A simple contraction of the term "peer to peer" as mentioned when describing
    the ad hoc network earlier in the post......try and follow along please.

    jim



  3. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....

    jim wrote:
    > "dennis@home" wrote in message
    >> That is the wrong attitude!

    >
    > Wrong attitude?!
    >
    > Dude, I have simply been looking for answers. And, I have been accused of
    > being a troll, mocked, lied to and generally told to piss off by people that
    > either (a) don't have a clue as to what the answers may actually be or (b)
    > are simply Linux Zealots who are too busy hating to offer a hand to someone
    > trying to make the switch to Linux.
    >
    > There is definitely a wrong attitude in these Linux NGs....but it didn't
    > arrive with me.
    >

    It sure didn't, but your posts so far have done nothing but perpetuate
    it. Every post you make just turns people off even more. Trust me when I
    say that's not the way to inspire someone to help - here or anywhere else.

    I have been self-employed for 46 years in a small business, one that
    grew from a childhood enterprise. I don't have a clue when it comes to
    coding, or for solving your problem in the way you want it solved. But I
    can tell you this much: if this is the way you approach all those who
    supply your inputs, your business is doomed. If you want someone who is
    providing something to you for free (or even those who do it for pay) to
    go the extra mile for you, you have to cooperate, not confront. From the
    sound of it, you need them more than they need you. You would do well to
    remember that.

    TJ

  4. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....


    "TJ" wrote in message
    news:g2r503$99b$1@registered.motzarella.org...
    > jim wrote:
    >> "dennis@home" wrote in message
    >>> That is the wrong attitude!

    >>
    >> Wrong attitude?!
    >>
    >> Dude, I have simply been looking for answers. And, I have been accused
    >> of being a troll, mocked, lied to and generally told to piss off by
    >> people that either (a) don't have a clue as to what the answers may
    >> actually be or (b) are simply Linux Zealots who are too busy hating to
    >> offer a hand to someone trying to make the switch to Linux.
    >>
    >> There is definitely a wrong attitude in these Linux NGs....but it didn't
    >> arrive with me.
    >>

    > It sure didn't, but your posts so far have done nothing but perpetuate it.
    > Every post you make just turns people off even more. Trust me when I say
    > that's not the way to inspire someone to help - here or anywhere else.
    >
    > I have been self-employed for 46 years in a small business, one that grew
    > from a childhood enterprise. I don't have a clue when it comes to coding,
    > or for solving your problem in the way you want it solved. But I can tell
    > you this much: if this is the way you approach all those who supply your
    > inputs, your business is doomed. If you want someone who is providing
    > something to you for free (or even those who do it for pay) to go the
    > extra mile for you, you have to cooperate, not confront. From the sound of
    > it, you need them more than they need you. You would do well to remember
    > that.


    I'll be honest with you TJ, I don't expect an honest answer in these groups.
    I am posting here more out of sheer desperation than in any hopes of
    actually getting an answer.

    I've been in enough Linux groups to know that the best things they are for
    is accusing those trying to adopt Linux more of being trolls, bashing
    Microsoft and praising Linux - while offering damned little in the way of
    actual help to anyone that asks.

    Do I want help? Damned right.

    Will I get it here? I don't think it exists.

    jim



  5. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:02:17 -0400, jim wrote:

    > I've been in enough Linux groups to know that the best things they are for
    > is accusing those trying to adopt Linux more of being trolls, bashing
    > Microsoft and praising Linux - while offering damned little in the way of
    > actual help to anyone that asks.
    >
    > Do I want help? Damned right.
    >
    > Will I get it here? I don't think it exists.


    OK then, you may as well be leaving now (for good).

    Buh-bye.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org


  6. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:02:17 -0400
    "jim" wrote:

    > I'll be honest with you TJ, I don't expect an honest answer in these groups.


    Thus you are seeing what you expect. Not that people are answering you
    dishonestly but that you expect it, so you perceive it incorrectly.

    Do not expect Linux to work with M$ proprietary networks "out of the box". That
    is the wrong expectation unless the distribution you choose states that as a
    feature. Install 'LinNeighborhood' alongside SAMBA and let 'LinNeighborhood' do
    the work of browsing the M$ shares for you. I have used 'LinNeighborhood' on my
    laptop when at client sites rife with M$-ware and it works fine for browsing
    and connecting to unsecured shares. Another option is 'smb4k' which has similar
    functionality but a KDE style interface.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qa5qr
    'What is Spring Football?'
    --
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.1 (Official) for i586
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare


  7. Re: Just my experience with FOSS - your mileage may vary.....

    On 2008-06-12, jim wrote:
    >
    > "dennis@home" wrote in message
    > news:g2qik8$gku$1@news.datemas.de...
    >>
    >>
    >> "jim" wrote in message
    >> news:Pz34k.3177$3F5.2675@bignews2.bellsouth.net...


    [deletia]

    >>> There are # of XP machines all connected to one router. This is called a
    >>> peer to peer network. There is no server.


    This nonsense is killing you right here. You're also too boneheaded
    to listen to anyone willing to go to the trouble to correct you. If you
    can't be bothered with the basics, why expect any thing else to go right
    for you?

    >>
    >> There is a "server", its the machine providing the share.
    >> M$ may call it something else but in this context it is a server.


    ....this reminds me. The last time I tried to share an XP drive I got
    an interesting message... "the server service has not been started".

    I got a good chuckle out of that one.


    > In this context, as it was assummed by other Linux supporters in previous
    > posts that authentication must tale place via something like Active
    > Directory or a central server, I was trying to convey that there was no
    > central authority with which you needed to authenticate on the XP peer to
    > peer network.


    [deletia]


    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread