Are Cisco and Red Hat Getting Cozy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft spent the 1990s ignoring and dismissing competitive threats from
| Linux. Apparently, Cisco is determined to avoid that mistake in the modern
| age of Web 2.0 and open applications.

Is Cisco vulnerable to open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the heart of Vyatta is VC4, a Linux-based networking system the company
| claims offers better performance than Cisco gear at a fraction of the price.
| Early, pre-release views are ecstatic. You have VPN support, QOS
| functionality, even traffic-shaping. Download it here.

Cisco: Networking Is Hot Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Network operating systems are also keeping the networking market hot. Cisco
| has recently expanded its operating system lineup to now include IOS, NX-OS
| and Linux. IOS is Cisco's core internetworking operating system that powers
| many of its switches and routers, while NX-OS is a purpose built OS for
| Cisco's Nexus core switching platform.
| As for Linux, Cisco is using the open source operating system in various
| areas including the AXP module that turns ISR routers into Linux app servers.

Cisco's Linux-Based ISR Opens Road For Customized Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Cisco Partner Summit 2008 in Honolulu, the San Jose, Calif.-based
| networking heavyweight unveiled the Cisco Application eXtension Platform *
| (AXP). The AXP consists of open, Linux-based Cisco ISR hardware modules for
| application development and hosting to support a tighter integration of the
| network and applications. * *

One Router to Rule Them All

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not that often that I get to do first-hand, on-the-scene reporting, so I
| was somewhat surprised last week to open an email from one of Cisco's PR
| reps, offering the opportunity to report an announcement of interest to the
| Linux and Open Source community. Being the curious sort, I couldn't pass up
| such an opportunity. * *

Cisco Reaches Out to Application Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| First, let’s review the market landscape: Cisco and Microsoft both want to
| dominate the unified communications market. To do so, they will need
| independent software vendors (ISVs) that write applications for their
| respective platforms. *

Cisco Turns Routers Into Linux Application Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Networking goliath Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is now opening its Integrated
| Services Router (ISR) and Cisco Wide Area Application Services (WAAS)
| platforms to become Linux-based application server platforms. The move could
| have wide-ranging implications, as Cisco's gear has millions of deployments
| that now can be leveraged to serve applications directly. * *

Cisco offers up safe mapping tool as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first we've come across an open source tool from Cisco. What are
| the others it has offered?

Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
| open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
| content and we want to do that empowerment."

Cisco finds that it's not so easy working with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently Microsoft has "taken limited steps to share users' presence and
| availabilty information," for fear of losing its ability to own all of the
| client. *
| Someone should tell Chambers that in reality it's not so easy working with
| Microsoft. *

Cisco CEO Says Microsoft Screws Its Partners Everytime...Just Like Apple.

,----[ Quote ]
| If partnering with Microsoft is not a win-win then it must be a win-lose…in
| Microsoft’s favor of course.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)