Network Card Driver Development ! - Linux

This is a discussion on Network Card Driver Development ! - Linux ; Hello All, After developing a lot of kernel modules, psuedo character device driver, serial port driver and enough source exploration, i am planning to develop a NIC driver for intel e100 seriel LAN Card. Although the source provides its code, ...

  1. Network Card Driver Development !

    Hello All,
    After developing a lot of kernel modules, psuedo character device
    driver, serial port driver and enough source exploration, i am
    planning to develop a NIC driver for intel e100 seriel LAN Card.
    Although the source provides its code,
    But i wanted to write one from scratch to strengthen my understanding
    of linux network internals.
    Can anyone plz suggest how to approach towards a NIC driver
    development which is easy for a beginner.
    Will post further queries, after seeing few replies, if any !

    Thnx,
    Harsh.

  2. Re: Network Card Driver Development !

    Hi there.

    I can't help you but you probably can help me... LOL....

    I did a paralell port output turn on 8 and off 8 LEDs indicating what
    were printed as described here "http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/
    parallel_output.html" like this image http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/lptleds.gif
    using gcc outb() function.

    Now i need to see those LEDs working with an USB port. I bought a
    cable like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USB-TO-DB25-...QQcmdZViewItem
    and tried the function outb() with the address of the USB driver that
    linux recognized uhci_hcd Host Controller.
    I downloaded the libusb-0.1.12(worked on my fedora 4 ok) and in a file
    called testlib.c and in other examples i see loops searching for
    devices and busses but i cant see something like outb() got what i
    need?
    I just would like to know how can i send data and receive data as i
    did in paralell.

    Any help will be very appreciated....

    I will post a thread for this...

    On Jun 11, 8:59 am, root thief wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > After developing a lot of kernel modules, psuedo character device
    > driver, serial port driver and enough source exploration, i am
    > planning to develop a NIC driver for intel e100 seriel LAN Card.
    > Although the source provides its code,
    > But i wanted to write one from scratch to strengthen my understanding
    > of linux network internals.
    > Can anyone plz suggest how to approach towards a NIC driver
    > development which is easy for a beginner.
    > Will post further queries, after seeing few replies, if any !
    >
    > Thnx,
    > Harsh.

+ Reply to Thread