[News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco" - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco"

    Microsoft: What Cost the Vista Fiasco?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new survey, conducted primarily in the U.S. in conjunction with Ziff
    | Davis Media and Peerstone Research, also shows Vista's requirement of running
    | on PCs crammed with lots of memory and powerful processors to be a deterrent.
    | Companies expect to install Vista on only about 10% of the PCs they already
    | own, compared with estimates last year that they'd be able to do so on 27% of
    | their machines.
    |
    | "It seems like the IT community has turned tepid to negative" on Vista, says
    | Di Bona in an interview. "There aren't any features in there they find
    | compelling—even ones that haven't had bad PR." For example, companies said in
    | the survey that they were indifferent to Vista's Windows Presentation
    | Foundation technology for building visually compelling programs, according to
    | Di Bona.
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ge_top+stories
    http://tinyurl.com/5eou56

    The stock recently hit its 52-week low.

    Recent:

    'Vista Capable' plaintiffs oppose Microsoft appeal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For anyone just tuning in, the lawsuit alleges that Microsoft's "Windows
    | Vista Capable" logo misled consumers because it was used in cases where the
    | underlying hardware wasn't enough to run the operating system's signature
    | features. Microsoft disputes that assertion, saying that it considers the
    | lower-end Windows Vista Home Basic a bona fide edition of the operating
    | system, even without the advanced features. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
    | arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
    | system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
    | machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
    |
    | The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
    | described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
    | complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
    |
    | The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
    | Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
    | reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
    | famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
    | Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
    `----

    http://origin.mercurynews.com/busine...nclick_check=1

    Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

    Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

    http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

    Has Vista lost all credibility?

    http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

    Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So many charges, so little time.
    |
    | Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
    | investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
    | Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
    | for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
    | to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...rett_eu_gripe/

    Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is becoming well known that Microsoft have achieved their current market
    | share status by making major computer manufacturers sign licensing deals, so
    | as to distribute a copy of Windows with every computer sold. What many people
    | don't realise, is how difficult it is to get a computer from the
    | manufacturers without Windows.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This is first-hand experience of the power of Microsoft's monopolistic
    | practices, and it really does annoy me. It seems not so long ago that I
    | praised Dell for their support, but along with Microsoft, they have now lost
    | a customer entirely.
    |
    | Needless to say, we are now looking to buy a system from a local shop with no
    | OS.
    `----

    http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.p...y071120-003039

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco"

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Microsoft:

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco"

    On 2008-06-11, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Microsoft: What Cost the Vista Fiasco?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The new survey, conducted primarily in the U.S. in conjunction with Ziff
    >| Davis Media and Peerstone Research, also shows Vista's requirement of running
    >| on PCs crammed with lots of memory and powerful processors to be a deterrent.
    >| Companies expect to install Vista on only about 10% of the PCs they already
    >| own, compared with estimates last year that they'd be able to do so on 27% of
    >| their machines.
    >|
    >| "It seems like the IT community has turned tepid to negative" on Vista, says
    >| Di Bona in an interview. "There aren't any features in there they find
    >| compelling—even ones that haven't had bad PR." For example, companies said in
    >| the survey that they were indifferent to Vista's Windows Presentation
    >| Foundation technology for building visually compelling programs, according to
    >| Di Bona.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ge_top+stories
    > http://tinyurl.com/5eou56
    >
    > The stock recently hit its 52-week low.

    The bloat in Vista is about 2 generations ahead of the consumer
    hardware market. The capability of Vista is about 2 generations behind
    the consumer needs market. Business markets even moreso.

    A perfect mix if ever there was one.

    --
    I'll never forget the first time I ran Windows. No matter how hard I
    try.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] MSFT Suffers After "Vista Fiasco"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sinister Midget

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:51:08 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-06-11, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> Microsoft: What Cost the Vista Fiasco?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The new survey, conducted primarily in the U.S. in conjunction with Ziff
    >>| Davis Media and Peerstone Research, also shows Vista's requirement of running
    >>| on PCs crammed with lots of memory and powerful processors to be a deterrent.
    >>| Companies expect to install Vista on only about 10% of the PCs they already
    >>| own, compared with estimates last year that they'd be able to do so on 27% of
    >>| their machines.
    >>|
    >>| "It seems like the IT community has turned tepid to negative" on Vista, says
    >>| Di Bona in an interview. "There aren't any features in there they find
    >>| compelling?even ones that haven't had bad PR." For example, companies said in
    >>| the survey that they were indifferent to Vista's Windows Presentation
    >>| Foundation technology for building visually compelling programs, according to
    >>| Di Bona.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ge_top+stories
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5eou56
    >>
    >> The stock recently hit its 52-week low.

    > The bloat in Vista is about 2 generations ahead of the consumer
    > hardware market. The capability of Vista is about 2 generations behind
    > the consumer needs market. Business markets even moreso.
    >
    > A perfect mix if ever there was one.

    More like a perfect mess, from Microsoft's viewpoint.
    Hopefully Linux, KDE, Gnome, and others can step into the
    breach and get their foot in the door.... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.