[News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment - Linux

  1. [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I find it faster than Internet Explorer and, except for a built-in Google
    | (GOOG) search box, blessedly free of attempts to sell things or steer me to
    | third-party services of its choice rather than mine.
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9000846750.htm

    All systems are go for Firefox 3 launch; RC3 needed for Mac OSX only

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That’s the word from Mozilla’s Firefox group, which held today what may be
    | the final pre-release meeting for the much anticipated Firefox 3. Apparently,
    | the Apple update causes the browser to hang. RC3 for Mac OSX is being built
    | and the update is expected to go live tomorrow, according to Mozilla.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2531

    Firefox 3 new features walkthrough

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Firefox continues to prove with release after release why it's the best
    | browser on the market. With Firefox 3 coming out soon (it's been in beta for
    | about eight months now), the development team was nice enough to put together
    | a short video showing off the new features that will appear in Firefox 3 when
    | the final version ships sometime this month.
    `----

    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/94479

    about:mozilla - Firefox 3 RC2, Governance, Accessibility, Bugdays, Acid3,
    T-shirts, and more…

    http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews...irts-and-more/

    Related:

    Firefox Set Free in IceWeasel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One possible outcome is that Debian developers just rename Firefox to
    | something else. Another possibility is that they just use GNU's
    | IceWeasel.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3636651

    Iceweasel released from its cage

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are still a few branding issues to sort out, but I'll try to get
    | them fixed over the next couple of days.
    `----

    http://ze-dinosaur.livejournal.com/15020.html

    Need FF2 in Hardy? Try GNU’s IceCat.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IceCat is “the GNU version of the Firefox browser.” Basically, the GNU guys
    | took Mozilla’s code, and compiled it without using the “proprietary” parts,
    | meaning the Logo and the name, among other things.
    `----

    http://www.ozymo.com/~chuck/blog/200...y-gnus-icecat/

  2. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and Mac.

  3. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  4. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out AnyMoment

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    > Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and Mac.

    And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed
    their OS.

  5. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    >> Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and
    >> Mac.

    > And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed their
    > OS.

    Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or
    Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    didn't work any more.

    And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.

    It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications. Most casual computer
    users couldn't give a coherent description of what an "Operating system" is.
    To them, they turn on their computer and run their applications in Windows.
    The ideal OS is one that's transparent to the user.

  6. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out AnyMoment

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and
    >>> Mac.

    >> And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed their
    >> OS.

    > Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or

    Playing Flash content on Ubuntu is not a problem. For instance you can
    play everything that's on youtube. Any content provider with any sense
    will look at youtube's success and present their content in a universal
    format---like youtube does.

    > Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    > didn't work any more.
    >
    > And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    > applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    > love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.

    I've heard that a few new Linux migrants got upset when they couldn't
    run their antivirus programs.

    > It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications.

    My point exactly. I said "a lot"--- not "all". A lot of people only
    use email and browser. That could be something like 5% to 10% who would
    hardly know the difference if they changed to Linux. Were it otherwise
    we would not be seeing Linux on Eee and similar little machines, and MS
    would not be almost giving away XP---which it really would like to
    retire---on such machines.

  7. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed their
    >>> OS.

    >> Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or

    > Playing Flash content on Ubuntu is not a problem. For instance you can
    > play everything that's on youtube. Any content provider with any sense
    > will look at youtube's success and present their content in a universal
    > format---like youtube does.
    >
    >> Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    >> didn't work any more.

    Man, I'd better stop listening to magnatune.com and sky.fm, then.

    Even funnier is that sky.fm once used Solaris, but I think they changed
    to Linux at some point.

    Maybe I should install and start icecast on my 64-bit system?

    >> And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    >> applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    >> love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.

    > I've heard that a few new Linux migrants got upset when they couldn't
    > run their antivirus programs.
    >
    >> It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications.

    > My point exactly. I said "a lot"--- not "all". A lot of people only
    > use email and browser. That could be something like 5% to 10% who would
    > hardly know the difference if they changed to Linux. Were it otherwise
    > we would not be seeing Linux on Eee and similar little machines, and MS
    > would not be almost giving away XP---which it really would like to
    > retire---on such machines.

    I think Zeke likes the bruises he gets from all this tweaking.

    By the way, has anyone ever seen a Shockwave site? All I've seen is
    Flash.

    --
    Reinvent yourself!
    -- Bill Gates

  8. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:28:46 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    > Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and Mac.

    Yep....

    More of Roy Schestowitz's shady subject lines.
    Gotta index Google you know...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out AnyMoment

    Matt wrote:

    > troll:
    >>
    >> Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get
    >> Flash or

    > Playing Flash content on Ubuntu is not a problem. For instance you can
    > play everything that's on youtube. Any content provider with any sense
    > will look at youtube's success and present their content in a universal
    > format---like youtube does.
    >
    >> Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and
    >> music didn't work any more.
    >>
    >> And that's just the browser end of it.

    what alternate reality do these fsckwitted trolls live in, where Linux
    users have these problems? Anyone can boot a liveCD and see that it's
    nonsense.

    >> Once they started running
    >> desktop applications they would notice right away that the apps that
    >> they know and love

    Know and "love"?? What a fruitcake!

    >> and have been using for the past 5-10 years no
    >> longer exist.

    Let's not forget "paying for" for years.

    Linux has, free, the common apps that most people need, and the operation
    of them is point-and-click easy. Not hard at all. This is, of course,
    what scares the bejesus out of Micro$oft and it's supporters.

    All anyone has to do is boot a liveCD and see for themselves.

    What strange, pathetic creatures these trolls are. Shamelessly,
    obviously lying as they do. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

  10. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:06:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows and
    >>> Mac.

    >> And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed their
    >> OS.

    > Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or
    > Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    > didn't work any more.
    >
    > And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    > applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    > love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.
    >
    > It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications. Most casual computer
    > users couldn't give a coherent description of what an "Operating system" is.
    > To them, they turn on their computer and run their applications in Windows.
    > The ideal OS is one that's transparent to the user.

    Exactly.
    Linux comes with a lot of dirty little secrets/baggage that people don't
    realize till they install it.

    Thank God for Linux LiveCDs because at least this way the poor fools can
    see what they are getting in to before mucking their Windows system.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out AnyMoment

    chrisv wrote:
    > Matt wrote:

    >>> Once they started running
    >>> desktop applications they would notice right away that the apps that
    >>> they know and love

    > Know and "love"?? What a fruitcake!

    like a caricature of the archetypal MS true believer

  12. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:42:57 -0400
    <14ry1tdvvv1n8.1out0dyx074hb$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:06:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed their
    >>> OS.

    >> Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or
    >> Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    >> didn't work any more.
    >>
    >> And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    >> applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    >> love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.
    >>
    >> It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications. Most casual computer
    >> users couldn't give a coherent description of what an "Operating system" is.
    >> To them, they turn on their computer and run their applications in Windows.
    >> The ideal OS is one that's transparent to the user.

    > Exactly.
    > Linux comes with a lot of dirty little secrets/baggage that people don't
    > realize till they install it.

    And these are....?

    C'mon now...dish.

    > Thank God for Linux LiveCDs because at least this way the poor fools can
    > see what they are getting in to before mucking their Windows system.

    Considering the fragility of a Windows system, good thing too. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  13. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:42:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:42:57 -0400
    > <14ry1tdvvv1n8.1out0dyx074hb$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:06:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or
    >>> Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    >>> didn't work any more.
    >>>
    >>> And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    >>> applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    >>> love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.
    >>>
    >>> It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications. Most casual computer
    >>> users couldn't give a coherent description of what an "Operating system" is.
    >>> To them, they turn on their computer and run their applications in Windows.
    >>> The ideal OS is one that's transparent to the user.

    >> Exactly.
    >> Linux comes with a lot of dirty little secrets/baggage that people don't
    >> realize till they install it.

    > And these are....?
    >
    > C'mon now...dish.

    Try reading the post I was replying to.

    >> Thank God for Linux LiveCDs because at least this way the poor fools can
    >> see what they are getting in to before mucking their Windows system.
    >>

    > Considering the fragility of a Windows system, good thing too. :-P

    Nobody said anything about Windows.
    We are talking Linux here.
    Please try and stay on topic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    chrisv wrote:

    > what alternate reality do these fsckwitted trolls live in, where Linux
    > users have these problems? Anyone can boot a liveCD and see that it's
    > nonsense.

    Mindless uninformed child,

    Why don't you download this http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php?download=tar
    and set it up on a USB drive and boot it and launch Konqueror and tell us
    all how well it plays YouTube videos?

  15. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    Matt wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Firefox Keeps Nipping at Microsoft

    >> Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows
    >> and Mac.

    > And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed
    > their OS.

    Then a Linux OEM should be plenty successful. You should start one - get
    all your friends and family to invest their life savings in it.

  16. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:47:21 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Until they went to their favorite web-sites and could no longer get Flash or

    >> Playing Flash content on Ubuntu is not a problem. For instance you can
    >> play everything that's on youtube. Any content provider with any sense
    >> will look at youtube's success and present their content in a universal
    >> format---like youtube does.
    >>
    >>> Shcokwave content to work. Or until sites with streaming video and music
    >>> didn't work any more.

    > Man, I'd better stop listening to magnatune.com and sky.fm, then.
    >
    > Even funnier is that sky.fm once used Solaris, but I think they changed
    > to Linux at some point.
    >
    > Maybe I should install and start icecast on my 64-bit system?
    >
    >>> And that's just the browser end of it. Once they started running desktop
    >>> applications they would notice right away that the apps that they know and
    >>> love and have been using for the past 5-10 years no longer exist.

    >> I've heard that a few new Linux migrants got upset when they couldn't
    >> run their antivirus programs.
    >>
    >>> It's not about the OS. It's all about the applications.

    >> My point exactly. I said "a lot"--- not "all". A lot of people only
    >> use email and browser. That could be something like 5% to 10% who would
    >> hardly know the difference if they changed to Linux. Were it otherwise
    >> we would not be seeing Linux on Eee and similar little machines, and MS
    >> would not be almost giving away XP---which it really would like to
    >> retire---on such machines.

    > I think Zeke likes the bruises he gets from all this tweaking.

    Maybe the troll is a masochist, as it seems to like being beaten.

    > By the way, has anyone ever seen a Shockwave site? All I've seen is
    > Flash.

    Haven't seen a Shockwave site in years, only Flash.

    --
    "This is another 'me too' post, which
    (contrary to the idiot trolls belief)

  17. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:49 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:42:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:42:57 -0400
    >> <14ry1tdvvv1n8.1out0dyx074hb$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Exactly.
    >>> Linux comes with a lot of dirty little secrets/baggage that people don't
    >>> realize till they install it.

    >> And these are....?
    >>
    >> C'mon now...dish.

    > Try reading the post I was replying to.

    I see no secrets there, just a complaint that most people would care
    about as much about Linux as they would care about the fuel injector
    module ROM/control chip in a modern automobile.

    (Some people change out this chip, in an effort to boost performance.
    Most people just stomp on the accelerator. This is a legitimate
    observation, and of course Microsoft, by being a "one stop shop for all
    one's software needs", can easily leverage this thinking by simply
    supplying all of one's software needs.)

    >>> Thank God for Linux LiveCDs because at least this way the poor fools can
    >>> see what they are getting in to before mucking their Windows system.
    >>>

    >> Considering the fragility of a Windows system, good thing too. :-P

    > Nobody said anything about Windows.
    > We are talking Linux here.
    > Please try and stay on topic.

    Windows: 90-95% of all desktop operating systems on
    the planet. What do you think Linux gets installed on?
    Heathkit H-11s?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  18. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:53:34 -0400
    :
    > Matt wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Lots of people are running Firefox. Nearly all of them on Windows
    >>> and Mac.

    >> And a lot of those Windows users would hardly notice if you changed
    >> their OS.

    > Then a Linux OEM should be plenty successful.

    No it shouldn't. Obviously, if there's a successful Linux OEM,
    Microsoft is losing revenue.

    > You should start one - get
    > all your friends and family to invest their life savings in it.

    Ah, good idea, that.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  19. Re: [News] Firefox Eats Microsoft Market Share, Version 3.0 Out Any Moment

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:46:20 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >
    >> By the way, has anyone ever seen a Shockwave site? All I've seen is
    >> Flash.

    > The only time and place I've ever seen Shockwave deployed was on the
    > (then) Macromedia site back in the 90's some time. I assume such content
    > can be found elsewhere, but I have no idea where, and I don't really
    > care either.

    There's a few Shockwave games floating about...I'd say 1
    in 100 web games are unplayable in Linux but haven't done an
    actual tally. Silverlight isn't exactly taking this segment
    by storm, either.

    The vast majority are Flash.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.