[News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We took our first look at components of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix last week
    | shortly after it was announced at the Computex show in Taiwan. Canonical's
    | original announcement provided little insight into plans for subnotebooks
    | based on the software and left questions unanswered about how the Netbook
    | Remix will be distributed, but a blog entry by Canonical boss Mark
    | Shuttleworth offers some answers, along with news that Canonical will push
    | hardware partners to release open source drivers.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The revelation of OEM partnerships implies that we will likely see the
    | Netbook Remix on upcoming subnotebook devices from mainstream hardware
    | vendors. In light of Dell's existing relationship with Canonical, the
    | recently unveiled mini laptop from Dell is a likely candidate for Ubuntu
    | Netbook adoption. What we have seen so far of the software is impressive, and
    | the final product will likely be a lot more polished than current options
    | like the flavor of Xandros that Asus ships on the Eee.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...or-ubuntu.html

    Recent:

    Trying Out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a blog posting this morning by Mark Shuttleworth about Netbook Remix, he
    | mentions Canonical is currently working with two other companies to design
    | more radical user interfaces for their mobile products. Mark also
    | mentioned, "The aim was to do something very simple that could be tested
    | easily, work with touch devices and made shippable very quickly. It also
    | needed to be efficient on lower-power devices, and work well with Intel
    | hardware, which seems to be the preferred platform for this generation of
    | devices and allows us to slip a few nice effects in that would be hard
    | without the right hardware support."
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ok_remix&num=1

    Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical is positioning itself to take the lead on software in the
    | subnotebook market, but a big piece of the puzzle is still absent: customers.
    | Although Canonical is working closely with Intel on reference designs, there
    | is no word yet about potential commercial adopters for the Netbook Remix. No
    | major OEMs have revealed plans to use it yet and Canonical is still actively
    | looking for new partners in the hardware space. Regardless of whether it gets
    | picked up by hardware makers like Asus, it is sure to be a big hit with
    | Ubuntu's fans. The fact that so many users are installing the regular desktop
    | version of Ubuntu on their Eee laptops is strong indication that there is
    | demand for Ubuntu on subnotebooks.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ook-remix.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3laf8b

    The Ultimate Ultraportable?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I've noted a number of times, I think the appearance of the ultraportable
    | platform will provide a huge boost for GNU/Linux among ordinary users, and
    | prove to be a watershed in the history of open source. The combination of
    | ultraportable form factor with Ubuntu's ease-of-use will only magnify that
    | effect. And if the rumours about Dell's new mini Inspiron running Ubuntu
    | (presumably the Netbook Remix) prove correct, we could be witnessing the
    | birth of the ultimate ultraportable.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=870&blogid=14

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Related:

    Intel: Why Open-Source Drivers Work

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He also mentioned that a major OEM is requiring that by next year their
    | hardware suppliers must either have an open-source driver available or be
    | able to provide an open-source driver within the next twelve months. The
    | likely company that comes to mind is Dell but Dirk refused to comment any
    | further. * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=850&num=1

    Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
    | several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CII...&src=site-marq

    Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
    | Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
    | investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map. Amit
    | had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were "challenges in
    | platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux systems, but first the
    | driver must be improved for the Linux platform (not necessarily open-source,
    | but improved).
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

    Ubuntu plus Dell equals better support for devices in Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the best things that has happened to Linux enthusisasts the world over
    | is the confluence of two big players one in the Linux arena (Ubuntu aka
    | Canonical) and the other in the PC hardware space (Dell). And the end users
    | have already started reaping the benefits.
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/0...r-support.html

    Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
    | Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
    | users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
    | Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
    | to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
    | has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
    | individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
    | By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
    | trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
    | in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
    | moving forward on this initiative."
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ased-adoption/

    Linux: Driver Support is Key

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell recognizes the importance of open source, GPL-licensed drivers
    | which are maintained upstream in kernel.org. They allow users the
    | widest choice of Linux distributions, effectively taking the
    | specific hardware and distribution out of the decision-making
    | process and let you focus on solving your business problems. We
    | will work with our hardware partners to develop, test, and
    | maintain Free drivers, and continue to make progress towards
    | that goal for all drivers.
    `----

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...3/28/9655.aspx

  2. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open SourceDrivers

    Homer wrote:

    >> Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    > They should start by ripping out the "officially licensed" proprietary
    > media codecs first, and promoting the Free Software equivalents instead.

    They do look like hypocrites when they do that. I think the problem
    with Ubuntu is that they're trying to be all things to all people.
    They've tried appealing to the FSF, but Shuttleworth still can't decide
    whether he wants to run an "open source" or "free software" company.

  3. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    > They should start by ripping out the "officially licensed" proprietary
    > media codecs first, and promoting the Free Software equivalents instead.

    Yeah. I don't think Canonical should follow quite the same path as Red
    Hat.

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself

  4. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:03:09 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    > They should start by ripping out the "officially licensed" proprietary
    > media codecs first, and promoting the Free Software equivalents instead.

    Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
    And render most players into bricks?

    Yea that's a great idea.

    Hey, who needs mp3, wma, acc when we can have ogg?

    Once again the Linux loon has no clue how the rest of the world operates.

    Hint: They could care less if the CODECS are proprietary because all they
    want to do is listen to their music.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:49:23 -0600, Nick Ballard wrote:

    > Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    >> They should start by ripping out the "officially licensed" proprietary
    >> media codecs first, and promoting the Free Software equivalents instead.
    >>

    > They do look like hypocrites when they do that. I think the problem
    > with Ubuntu is that they're trying to be all things to all people.
    > They've tried appealing to the FSF, but Shuttleworth still can't decide
    > whether he wants to run an "open source" or "free software" company.

    They are pulling a Mark Kent, who is COLA's ultimate hypocrite.

    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy

    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    newsw7q4udjfa54$.2fdtb6efr6qe.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:03:09 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >>> Canonical wants Netbook partners to open drivers for Ubuntu

    >> They should start by ripping out the "officially licensed" proprietary
    >> media codecs first, and promoting the Free Software equivalents instead.

    > Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
    > And render most players into bricks?
    >
    > Yea that's a great idea.
    >
    > Hey, who needs mp3, wma, acc when we can have ogg?
    >
    > Once again the Linux loon has no clue how the rest of the world operates.
    >
    > Hint: They could care less if the CODECS are proprietary because all they
    > want to do is listen to their music.

    Exactly. Only some zealot would give a crap about this sort of nonsense.
    There are exactly zero "normal people" (ie - Joe Sixpack computer users)
    who would give up sound, networking or decent video because the drivers
    were released under the wrong license or that the company that released the
    drivers didn't also release the source code.

    It's the "failure to realize what's important" logical fallacy:

    "FAILURE TO RECOGNIZE WHAT'S IMPORTANT: Example: My house is on fire!
    Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail! "

    For some reason these nut jobs think that "what's important" to people is
    whether the drivers are propreitary or if they were released under the
    "zealot approved" license. Normal people don't give a crap about this and
    they don't even know what this is. What's actually important here to normal
    people is that the music and video files play properly. Somehow this "minor
    benefit" seems to escape the advocates.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > They are pulling a Mark Kent, who is COLA's ultimate hypocrite.
    >
    > "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    > customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our
    > services, allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."
    >
    > Mark Kent
    > Head of Technology Strategy
    >
    > http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products
    >
    > https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    Owned!

    Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

  8. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:35:34 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> They are pulling a Mark Kent, who is COLA's ultimate hypocrite.
    >>
    >> "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    >> customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our
    >> services, allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."
    >>
    >> Mark Kent
    >> Head of Technology Strategy
    >>
    >> http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products
    >>
    >> https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4
    >>
    >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    > Owned!
    >
    > Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    Mark Kent is a totally useless hypocrite.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    Another lie, DFS?

    Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    --
    DOS is ugly and interferes with users' experience.
    -- Bill Gates

  10. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:09:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    > Another lie, DFS?
    >
    > Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    Almost everyone has DooFu$ in the can. They're probably fedup with the
    clown's ****wittery.

  11. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    > Another lie, DFS?
    >
    > Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    Probably. Hadron and Moshe too. And that's because he's deathly afraid to
    answer any of us.

  12. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    "DFS" writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    >> Another lie, DFS?
    >>
    >> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    > Probably. Hadron and Moshe too. And that's because he's deathly afraid to
    > answer any of us.

    No. It's because he is unable too. Mark Kent spouts the biggest load of
    nonsense ever seen on Usenet. He's an egotistical blowhard who simply
    tells lies in order to elevate himself in the COLA hierarchy.

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  13. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    >> Another lie, DFS?
    >>
    >> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    > Probably. Hadron and Moshe too. And that's because he's deathly afraid to
    > answer any of us.

    Actually, it's probably because you all repeat the same crap endlessly.

    Move on.

    --
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few
    employers are interested in helping you find yourself.

  14. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:13:22 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Another lie, DFS?
    >>>
    >>> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    >> Probably. Hadron and Moshe too. And that's because he's deathly afraid to
    >> answer any of us.

    > No. It's because he is unable too. Mark Kent spouts the biggest load of
    > nonsense ever seen on Usenet. He's an egotistical blowhard who simply
    > tells lies in order to elevate himself in the COLA hierarchy.

    Yea.
    I'll bet with all that hot air, Mark Kent to float across the pond like a
    huge hot air balloon.
    A real boob that one is.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On 2008-06-16, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:09:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Notice how Kent runs away like a 'coon frightened by headlights.

    >> Another lie, DFS?
    >>
    >> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    > Almost everyone has DooFu$ in the can. They're probably fedup with the
    > clown's ****wittery.

    It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-06-16, William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:09:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Another lie, DFS?
    >>>
    >>> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    >> Almost everyone has DooFu$ in the can. They're probably fedup with the
    >> clown's ****wittery.

    > It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    DFS reminds me of this guy:

    http://www.esnips.com/doc/75dd0c53-b...c56c8c/hasaad1

    Not only obnoxious, provocative, insulting, and confrontational (and
    enjoying it), but he does this through seven separate prank calls
    (hasaad1.mp3 through hasaad7.mp3 -- I've listened only to 1 and 7).

    --
    Life is not fair; get used to it.
    -- Bill Gates

  17. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Linonut writes:

    > * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Almost everyone has DooFu$ in the can. They're probably fedup with the
    >>> clown's ****wittery.

    >> It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    > DFS reminds me of this guy:
    >
    > http://www.esnips.com/doc/75dd0c53-b...c56c8c/hasaad1
    >
    > Not only obnoxious, provocative, insulting, and confrontational (and
    > enjoying it), but he does this through seven separate prank calls
    > (hasaad1.mp3 through hasaad7.mp3 -- I've listened only to 1 and 7).

    Poor old DFS. How *will* he cope with the combined attack of COLAs three
    biggest bull****ters? Willy Poaster, Gregory Shearman and
    that two faced fraud and liar Liarnut!

    But quite unbelievably Willy is poasting about his killfiles
    *AGAIN*!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, outside of High Plains Hypocrite, is there
    a dumber poster to usenet?

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  18. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open SourceDrivers

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:46:08 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    >> DFS reminds me of this guy:
    >>
    >> http://www.esnips.com/doc/75dd0c53-b...-dfe489c56c8c/

    hasaad1

    >> Not only obnoxious, provocative, insulting, and confrontational (and
    >> enjoying it), but he does this through seven separate prank calls
    >> (hasaad1.mp3 through hasaad7.mp3 -- I've listened only to 1 and 7).

    > Poor old DFS. How *will* he cope ... (snip)

    Who cares?

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Linonut wrote:

    > Not only obnoxious, provocative, insulting, and confrontational (and
    > enjoying it),

    When in Rome...

  20. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On 17 Jun 2008 07:10:08 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    With 0.6 percent of the desktop market share I agree.
    Someone SHOULD put Linux out of it's misery.
    Linux is free only if your time has no value.