[News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers - Linux ; On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:05:57 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > On 17 Jun 2008 07:10:08 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote: > > >> It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery. > > With 0.6 percent of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open SourceDrivers

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:05:57 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On 17 Jun 2008 07:10:08 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >

    >> It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    > With 0.6 percent of the desktop market share I agree. Someone SHOULD put
    > Linux out of it's misery. Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    You are a bigoted liar.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    Gregory Shearman espoused:
    > On 2008-06-16, William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:09:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Another lie, DFS?
    >>>
    >>> Surely you are well aware that he has you binned.

    >> Almost everyone has DooFu$ in the can. They're probably fedup with the
    >> clown's ****wittery.

    > It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    Not that I'm confirming that this is anything to do with me one way or
    the other, but, the article below is interesting:

    http://www.telco2.net/blog/2007/09/

    And the examples of its use in practice bear this out. At BT,
    head of tech strategy Mark Kent described its deployment for new
    IN services at BT Global, with the assistance of a tiny startup,
    NetDev. Crucially, the role of systems integrator remained with
    BT's chosen partner, and the standard interfaces meant that BT
    remained free to choose whatever hardware, software, and other
    partners it liked; standards compliance is the death blow for
    vendor lock-in.

    Hence BT's spanking new apps platform, Project Firebird; running
    in a JAIN SLEE environment, it acts as a "resource adaptor",
    speaking assorted Java APIs to IT systems in one direction,
    SIP to switches and routers in another, and the Linux API
    to the carrier-grade Linux machine it runs on. As Kent says,
    "you need to look out for platforms." In every sense; Telco 2.0
    is well aware of the dangers of the oil-drilling kind.

    What you'll note from that particular article is a mention of Carrier
    Grade Linux, and you'll notice that there's no mention of Microsoft,
    because the platform doesn't use any Microsoft.

    I've never really been sure what our trolls thought that they'd found
    here, but it looks to me like a completely open platform running on
    Linux...

  3. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Not only obnoxious, provocative, insulting, and confrontational (and
    >> enjoying it),

    > When in Rome...

    .... tease the Romans.

    --
    Windows 2000 already contains features such as the human discipline
    component, where the PC can send an electric shock through the keyboard if

  4. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:05:57 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On 17 Jun 2008 07:10:08 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>

    >>> It's gone insane. Someone should put it out of its misery.

    >> With 0.6 percent of the desktop market share I agree. Someone SHOULD put
    >> Linux out of it's misery. Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    > You are a bigoted liar.

    He used to use the number, 0.24 percent, too.

    So even by his bogus number, Linux usage is 2.5 times higher now.

    --
    It's not manufacturers trying to rip anybody off or anything like that.
    There's nobody getting rich writing software that I know of.

  5. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    >>troll:
    >>> Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    I'd say reading your posts only makes sense if one's time has no
    value.

    I can't understand why you are not universally filtered. I can't
    understand why your ****e is quoted.

  6. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> With 0.6 percent of the desktop market share I agree. Someone SHOULD put
    >>> Linux out of it's misery. Linux is free only if your time has no value.

    >> You are a bigoted liar.

    > He used to use the number, 0.24 percent, too.
    >
    > So even by his bogus number, Linux usage is 2.5 times higher now.

    Over 10+ years?

    That's pathetic.......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: [News] Canonical's Latest Product Could Bring More Open Source Drivers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:49:59 -0400
    :
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You are a bigoted liar.

    >> He used to use the number, 0.24 percent, too.
    >>
    >> So even by his bogus number, Linux usage is 2.5 times higher now.

    > Over 10+ years?
    >
    > That's pathetic.......

    Indeed; Vista got more desktop users in 2-3 months than
    Linux has been able to conjure up in 15+ years, given
    the data I can find.

    One can argue why. One can quibble on some of the numbers.
    One might question what a "desktop" is (one issue, for
    instance, is that my desk has a laptop thereon; it's on
    top of my desk and therefore a desktop). One might throw
    in additional elements such as mobiles, servers, and
    embedded units.

    See, for instance,

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...a-over-xp.html

    which indicates that Vista after 1 year has 14%; this means
    that after 2 months Vista had 2.3%, and 4 months gives
    4.7%, if one uses straight linear projections. The best
    estimations for Linux are either 0.6%, if one believes
    hitslink numbers, or something hovering around 3-5%,
    which I for one think more reasonable, though I can't
    say I'm anywhere near expert.

    Ubuntu has an interesting poll on the barriers stopping
    Linux from being adopted more rapidly:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=443565&page=15

    Apparently the biggest problem (though not by much) is
    perceived hardware difficulties (with actual hardware
    difficulties being a proper subset). The second biggest
    is apathy; why bother to switch? Windows works fine.

    (FSVO "Windows", "works", and "fine".)

    An interesting mess.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.