[News] [SOT] Microsoft/MPAA Puppet Ends Free Speech - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] Microsoft/MPAA Puppet Ends Free Speech

    French Government decides to censor the Internet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In fact, worse still is that any site is now game for a French blockade, as
    | Sarkozy’s government is inviting people to send in huge long lists of sites
    | which offend their delicate sensibilities. The French government, which will
    | purportedly be able to receive complaints from Internet users in real time,
    | will be able to add sites to a so called “black list”, which it will then
    | force national ISPs to block.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rnment-decides

    Trade agreement could hit privacy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In recent weeks, fears about the ACTA have spilled into the political arena.
    | In Canada, opposition Members of Parliament have raised concerns in the House
    | of Commons and Toronto-area Liberal MP Bob Rae blogged that it "augurs a
    | ridiculously intrusive national and international apparatus to police
    | practices that are as common as eating and breathing."
    |
    | With another round of talks set for next month in Japan, participating
    | governments should use the opportunity to lift the veil of ACTA secrecy.
    | Trade negotiators may prefer to remain outside of the spotlight, yet greater
    | transparency is desperately needed.
    `----

    Recent:

    Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Criticism from NGOs
    |
    | Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
    | Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
    | that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
    | by Hollywood companies.
    |
    | Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
    | warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
    | counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
    | insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
    | an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
    | infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
    `----

    http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

    Related:

    The British Library - "The world's knowledge" DRM'd and for a price

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DRM is part of the plan, and I encourage you to read the entire Microsoft
    | document. It would make my grandmother roll over in her grave. Some of the
    | librarians at the British Library are deeply troubled too about what DRM is
    | doing to libraries. How will we access the materials if the DRM company goes
    | out of business someday?
    |
    | If they duplicate what they have done at the British Library, I think it's
    | fair to say that it is the death of public libraries as we have known them,
    | and the world's knowledge will be available only DRM'd and for a price.
    |
    | P.S. DRM doesn't work.
    | It won't block any serious criminals.
    | All it does is annoy and degrade the honest
    | ... and give monopolies a way to stay that way.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Microsoft/MPAA Puppet Ends Free Speech

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Microsoft/MPAA Puppet Ends Free Speech

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:34:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Homer on Saturday 14 June 2008 03:58 : \____

    >>> Trade agreement could hit privacy
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> This ACTA thing is even more sinister than the DMCA or software patents,
    >> particularly considering the clandestine manner in which it has been
    >> devised - never a good sign, since that invariably suggests malevolent
    >> intent.
    >>
    >> As a side note, I found this remark rather odd:
    >>
    >> "Last week, negotiators from countries such as the United States,
    >> European Union..."
    >>
    >> When did the European Union become a "country"?
    >>
    >> Was there some recent alteration to the treaty that I'm not aware of?

    > Look at the bright side. It said "countries such as the United States,
    > European Union..." and not "country such as the United States of the Northern
    > hemisphere..." (hint: http://lwn.net/Articles/282000/ )

    Your tinfoil hat needs adjusting Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread