[News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress - Linux

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:18:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Brasero 0.7.90 and Xfburn 0.3.0: two pleasant surprises!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Limitations aside ....

    Typical Linux.

    That's all the average Joe needs to read for him to tank these products and

    Linux is all about limitations and that's a primary reason why it's desktop
    market share is dismal.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    news:13pm77elmxean$.rdlsd7w3jvkj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:18:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Brasero 0.7.90 and Xfburn 0.3.0: two pleasant surprises!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Limitations aside ....

    > Typical Linux.
    >
    > That's all the average Joe needs to read for him to tank these products
    > and
    >
    > Linux is all about limitations and that's a primary reason why it's
    > desktop
    > market share is dismal.

    Here's a quote from the article:

    As for the limitations, here's an excerpt from the README:

    «Missing functionality that we plan to add:
    * Save and load compositions
    * Verification
    * Burn audio CDs
    * Copy discs (needs backend support)
    * Automatic checksum creation
    * Blu-ray support
    * Plugin support
    There is no, and never will be, a timeline for these.»

    Okay... so what do we have....

    * Save and load compositions
    (You go through all the trouble of creating a composition but you can't save
    it. This means that if you want to record the same composition again the
    next day you need to start from scratch.)

    * Verification
    (It'll record but it's up to you to test whether it actually worked
    properly)

    * Burn audio CDs
    (This functionality was standard back in the 1990's. Still not supported)

    * Copy discs (needs backend support)
    (So if you want to simply make a backup copy of a disk then you're ****
    outta luck.)

    * Automatic checksum creation
    * Blu-ray support
    * Plugin support
    (No biggee here.)

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    the Liar wrote:

    > http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...-xfburn-0-3-0-
    >
    > - From a critical reviewer like him, that's *something*.

    LOL Yes Roi.

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...d-xfburn-0-3-0
    June 09, 2008 at 20:27:36 GMT
    The second surprise is the unexpected enhancements in Xfburn: while I
    personally liked it, the Xfce team did nothing to promote it, because
    the development was stalled for quite some time. Plus, you know, it was
    only able to burn CDs, not DVDs!

    With version 0.3.0, things have tremendously changed; here's a selection
    from the announced chages:
    Use libburn and libisofs (libburnia-project.org) instead of cdrtools
    (which adds extra dependencies, my note)
    DVD burning (yay!)
    Formating and deformating of DVD-RW discs

    Stop the presses! "Xfburn does DVD burning in 2008"

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    On 2008-06-11, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:13pm77elmxean$.rdlsd7w3jvkj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:18:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Brasero 0.7.90 and Xfburn 0.3.0: two pleasant surprises!
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Typical Linux.
    >>
    >> That's all the average Joe needs to read for him to tank these products
    >> and

    So they tank Brasero and go back to k3b...

    Big fat hairy deal.

    [deletia]

    Linux means that the "next great thing" doesn't have to
    have any impact on how you like to do things. The new
    and spiffy is entirely optional rather than something
    that's shoved down your throat.

    brasero? Trivial to remove.
    k3b? Trivial to install.

    Just bask in the apt goodness...

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-11, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >> news:13pm77elmxean$.rdlsd7w3jvkj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Typical Linux.
    >>>
    >>> That's all the average Joe needs to read for him to tank these products
    >>> and

    > So they tank Brasero and go back to k3b...

    So it's basically worthless **** that serves no purpose. It does a fraction
    of what k3b does only not as well.

    > Big fat hairy deal.
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > Linux means that the "next great thing" doesn't have to
    > have any impact on how you like to do things.

    Nobody will ever confuse these lame burning applications with the "next
    great thing."

    > The new and spiffy is entirely optional

    This lameware is certainly new but it's in no way spiffy.

    > rather than something
    > that's shoved down your throat.

    My CD/DVD recording software isn't shoved down my throat and never was. What
    on earth are you talking about?

    > brasero? Trivial to remove.
    > k3b? Trivial to install.
    >
    > Just bask in the apt goodness...

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Burning Applications Show Great Progress

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:33:40 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:13pm77elmxean$.rdlsd7w3jvkj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:18:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Brasero 0.7.90 and Xfburn 0.3.0: two pleasant surprises!
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Typical Linux.
    >>
    >> That's all the average Joe needs to read for him to tank these products
    >> and
    >>
    >> Linux is all about limitations and that's a primary reason why it's
    >> desktop
    >> market share is dismal.
    >>

    > Here's a quote from the article:
    >

    > As for the limitations, here's an excerpt from the README:
    >
    > «Missing functionality that we plan to add:
    > * Save and load compositions
    > * Verification
    > * Burn audio CDs
    > * Copy discs (needs backend support)
    > * Automatic checksum creation
    > * Blu-ray support
    > * Plugin support
    > There is no, and never will be, a timeline for these.»
    >

    > Okay... so what do we have....
    >
    > * Save and load compositions
    > (You go through all the trouble of creating a composition but you can't save
    > it. This means that if you want to record the same composition again the
    > next day you need to start from scratch.)
    >
    > * Verification
    > (It'll record but it's up to you to test whether it actually worked
    > properly)
    >
    > * Burn audio CDs
    > (This functionality was standard back in the 1990's. Still not supported)
    >
    > * Copy discs (needs backend support)
    > (So if you want to simply make a backup copy of a disk then you're ****
    > outta luck.)
    >
    > * Automatic checksum creation
    > * Blu-ray support
    > * Plugin support
    > (No biggee here.)

    And sadly, this is typical of Linux and Linux applications.
    Why on earth the Linux loons put up with crap like this is beyond me.
    Considering that most DVD hardware come with all kinds of quality
    commercial software, why would someone feel the need to punish themselves
    with Linux is beyond reasonable thought.
    Of course none of this software works with Linux so I guess they are used
    to dealing with garbage.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: