[News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics - Linux

  1. [News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics

    Let's stop playing the numbers game: free software has changed the game.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem with my argument above is that the other lot keep comparing in
    | the terms of their numbers game and those are terms the end-users is familiar
    | with. So how do we combat that? For a start we can argue on our terms, within
    | the new game. We can also demonstrate the effectiveness, not the popularity
    | of our products. Finally we can do all we can to highlight the fact that the
    | game has changed and that the numbers game is going to be one that smart
    | people no longer play.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_changed_game
    http://tinyurl.com/6ds8k9

    Yesterday:

    VMware, Microsoft or Citrix -- who's winning the app virtualization war?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Saying you've sold 6.5 million MDOP licenses is like claiming 40% of
    | consumers are using Vista today," he said.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...rce=rss_news50

    Recent:

    Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
    | the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
    | Vista licences are yet to deploy the software. *
    `----

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

  2. Re: [News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci [of Acer]
    >> said.

    "Acer recommends Windows Vista Ultimate"
    "Acer recommends Windows Vista Business"
    "Acer recommends Windows Vista Home Premium"
    "Acer recommends Windows Vista Home Basic"
    "Acer recommends Windows Server"

    http://www.acer.com/public/home.jsp

    The President of Acer, Inc. runs XP Pro.
    The President of Acer, Inc. does not run Linux
    Acer does not recommend Linux

  3. Re: [News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics

    DFS wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>> "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci [of Acer]
    >>> said.

    > "Acer recommends Windows Vista Ultimate"

    How much did microsoft pay them to put THAT on their website, I wonder.

    > Acer does not recommend Linux

    Are you claiming that Acer doesn't recommend people buy their own products?
    How weird. After all, if they produce laptops with linux installed, which
    they do, are they actually telling people "install vista on this rather than
    keeping the linux default install"?

  4. Re: [News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:13:07 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Let's stop playing the numbers game: free software has changed the game.

    Translation: Just about every number you can digg up is showing Linux
    desktop to be a failure so now you want to start making up nebulous
    scenarios that you can't prove in order to rescue desktop Linux from
    certain death.

    You Linux loons sound like the book 1984 all rolled into one.

    If we don't like the way things are turning out, we will create our own
    twisted version and convince people that we are right despite the real
    truth which is the figures and facts show we are dead wrong.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Linux as a Question of Merits, Not Bogus Statistics

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> "Acer recommends Windows Vista Ultimate"

    > How much did microsoft pay them to put THAT on their website, I
    > wonder.

    I'm quite sure MS paid Acer exactly nothing for that. I'm quite sure Acer
    pays MS for every copy of Vista they sell. I'm quite sure Acer will not in
    the foreseeable future recommend Linux, because I'm quite sure Acer wants to
    stay in business and Linux on home systems/desktops is the kiss of death for
    a retailer.

    >> Acer does not recommend Linux

    > Are you claiming that Acer doesn't recommend people buy their own
    > products? How weird.

    It is weird that cola lusers can't address the facts, and instead have to
    try and dishonestly twist them into their own warped vision of unreality.

    > After all, if they produce laptops with linux
    > installed, which they do, are they actually telling people "install
    > vista on this rather than keeping the linux default install"?

    They're actually telling people to install XP on their Linux laptops:
    http://www.acer.co.th/product/travel...00/index_p.htm

    10 months ago Acer declared they wouldn't sell Linux laptops in the UK
    because there was no demand
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9288325,00.htm

+ Reply to Thread