[news]Linux virus infection fears - Linux

This is a discussion on [news]Linux virus infection fears - Linux ; quote ----- Virus writers are starting to target web computers running the Linux operating system. This week, many web servers running some versions of Linux have been infected with a malicious program that uses the computers as a springboard to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. [news]Linux virus infection fears

    quote
    -----

    Virus writers are starting to target web computers running the Linux
    operating system.

    This week, many web servers running some versions of Linux have been
    infected with a malicious program that uses the computers as a
    springboard to spread itself around the internet.

    Although not destructive, the virus program is inconveniencing many
    webmasters as it hogs resources while searching for new servers to infect.

    Experts have warned Linux users to expect growing numbers of attacks as
    the operating system grows in popularity.

    Instant access

    The webmasters who have had to deal with the problem are those running
    sites using Redhat Linux. Servers have been invaded by a worm that
    replaces the site's main page with one showing an image of a Ramen
    instant noodle packet. The picture is accompanied by the message,
    "Hackers looooooooooooove noodles".

    Worms are a distinct class of viruses that can move around and replicate
    by themselves. Typically viruses only move to other machines with the
    help of the files they have infected.

    The worm targets servers using version 6.2 and 7.0 of Redhat Linux. The
    program looks for well known loopholes in these versions and exploits
    them to copy itself on to the vulnerable machines.

    Once resident, the worm installs another program that closes the
    loopholes it has exploited, replaces the main page of the site and then
    starts scanning the web for new vulnerable machines.

    Although relatively benign, the virus is irritating because while
    searching for new victims it swamps a server's link to the net.

    Closing the door

    Lax security measures have been blamed for the rash of infections. The
    three loopholes that the Redhat worm exploits have been known about for
    months and patches for them have been available for almost as long.
    Redhat itself issued a patch in September last year.

    Analysis of the worm by security experts has found that it has been
    created by sticking together existing programs.

    Many of the worms and other viruses that have plagued PC users over the
    past couple of years have been made in this way by low-tech malicious
    hackers who have come to be known as "script kiddies".

    Experts are warning webmasters using Linux, and any other operating
    system, to be vigilant and keep up with patches and security updates.

    "As we see the operating system getting more popular, there will be an
    increased incentive for virus writers to attack it," said Graham Cluley
    from anti-virus firm Sophos. "There have been viruses for versions of
    Unix before but they have not typically been very successful."

    Other versions of Linux possess the same vulnerabilities but this worm
    only targets Redhat installations.

    "If there is an increase in targetted vulnerabilities, there is also an
    increase in good eyeballs looking at it and posting patches," said a
    spokeswoman for Redhat. "Because the code is open, there's no place for
    security breaches to hide."

  2. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:11:00 +0100, Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >quote
    >-----

    >Virus writers are starting to target web computers running the Linux
    >operating system.

    >This week, many web servers running some versions of Linux have been
    >infected with a malicious program that uses the computers as a
    >springboard to spread itself around the internet.

    Can it infect anything less than 5 years old? Exactly what versions of
    what software are affected? Ie: what version of the kernel? What web
    server? What version of the web server?

  3. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:11:00 +0100, Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >quote
    >-----

    OH crap. I fell for a mother ****ing troll.

    Hadron, you are *so* pathetic. OR is this the work of dum****?

  4. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    Ray Schitopants wrote:
    > quote
    > -----

    circa 2001.
    in other news...

  5. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    owl wrote:
    > Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >> quote
    >> -----

    > This is truly sad news. I had no idea. I've had enough of Linux.
    > Vista I believe is immune to all viruses.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/vista

    It's the tip of the iceberg. Forget Linux, it's a disaster waiting to
    happen.

  6. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    Ray Schitopants wrote:
    > owl wrote:
    >> Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >>> quote
    >>> -----

    >> This is truly sad news. I had no idea. I've had enough of Linux.
    >> Vista I believe is immune to all viruses.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/vista
    >>

    > It's the tip of the iceberg. Forget Linux, it's a disaster waiting to
    > happen.

    I found a cool easter egg in Windows Notepad:

    - Create a new text file called "prn.txt"
    - Hit the space bar 13 times.
    - Type the number "37" and hit
    - LOL pr0nz in Windoze!

  7. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    owl wrote:
    > Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >> owl wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This is truly sad news. I had no idea. I've had enough of Linux.
    >>> Vista I believe is immune to all viruses.
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/vista
    >>>

    >> It's the tip of the iceberg. Forget Linux, it's a disaster waiting to
    >> happen.

    > I found a cool easter egg in Windows Notepad:
    >
    > - Create a new text file called "prn.txt"
    > - Hit the space bar 13 times.
    > - Type the number "37" and hit
    > - LOL pr0nz in Windoze!

    LOL. Wintard hast been ha><0red.

  8. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    smoke wrote:
    > owl wrote:
    >> Ray Schitopants wrote:

    >>> It's the tip of the iceberg. Forget Linux, it's a disaster waiting to
    >>> happen.

    >> I found a cool easter egg in Windows Notepad:
    >>
    >> - Create a new text file called "prn.txt"
    >> - Hit the space bar 13 times.
    >> - Type the number "37" and hit
    >> - LOL pr0nz in Windoze!
    >>

    > LOL. Wintard hast been ha><0red.

    Viruses and Windoze. Inseparable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm__8yL1Wdc&hl=en#

  9. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    From: smoke

    From: owl

    *LOL*

    Ask HPT to help you with your socking.

  10. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    ____/ Ray Schitopants on Wednesday 11 June 2008 02:11 : \____

    ..-------------------------------------------------.
    |____________________________________________O_-_X|
    | File Options Tools Help |
    `_-_____-________-______-_________________________'
    | Alert |____________
    | *Plonk* ' Subject |______________
    `----------. *Sender* ' Troll |
    `----------. Idiot |
    | Moron |
    | Twit |
    | Imbecile |
    | Changeling |
    | Cretin |
    | Asshole |
    | Weird |
    | Dunce |
    | Kook |
    | Eerie |
    | *Gary Nym* |
    | Morph |
    `------------'

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #FFFFFFF4 ADD &R1, "9999999", &BankAccount

  11. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:59:35 +0100, Ray Schitopants wrote:

    > owl wrote:
    >> Ray Schitopants wrote:
    >>> quote
    >>> -----

    >> This is truly sad news. I had no idea. I've had enough of Linux. Vista
    >> I believe is immune to all viruses. http://www.microsoft.com/vista
    >>

    > It's the tip of the iceberg. Forget Linux, it's a disaster waiting to
    > happen.

    ... as opposed to the disaster that is Wndows... which continues to
    happen ... "Ray".

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:11:00 +0100, Ray Schitopants wrote:

    > quote
    > -----
    >
    > Virus writers are starting to target web computers running the Linux
    > operating system.

    (snip)

    Wow... a thret from 2001. Oh, boy... I'm scared... mommy, mommy... sarcasm>

    You are a lousy troll...
    A worm that infected software that was unpatched 8 years ago, running
    only on Red Hat, and then only running a particular set of apps.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    Date: -0500

    Hello, Gary.

    --
    HPT

  14. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Ray Schitopants on Wednesday 11 June 2008 02:11 : \____

    > .-------------------------------------------------.
    > |____________________________________________O_-_X|
    > | File Options Tools Help |
    > `_-_____-________-______-_________________________'
    > | Alert |____________
    > | *Plonk* ' Subject |______________
    > `----------. *Sender* ' Troll |
    > `----------. Idiot |
    > | Moron |
    > | Twit |
    > | Imbecile |
    > | Changeling |
    > | Cretin |
    > | Asshole |
    > | Weird |
    > | Dunce |
    > | Kook |
    > | Eerie |
    > | *Gary Nym* |
    > | Morph |
    > `------------'

    Yep, trolls are getting stupider every day here.

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:51:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Ray Schitopants on Wednesday 11 June 2008 02:11 : \____

    > .-------------------------------------------------.
    >|____________________________________________O_-_X|
    >| File Options Tools Help |
    > `_-_____-________-______-_________________________'
    > | Alert |____________
    > | *Plonk* ' Subject |______________
    > `----------. *Sender* ' Troll |
    > `----------. Idiot |
    > | Moron |
    > | Twit |
    > | Imbecile |
    > | Changeling |
    > | Cretin |
    > | Asshole |
    > | Weird |
    > | Dunce |
    > | Kook |
    > | Eerie |
    > | *Gary Nym* |
    > | Morph |
    > `------------'

    What a dork!!

    No wonder you SPAM 24x7 Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  16. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:10:40 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Yep, trolls are getting stupider every day here.

    But none, I repeat none, have reached the level of ignorance that you
    occupy High Plains Hopper.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, some poor dumb schmuck

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:11:00 +0100
    :
    > quote
    > -----
    >
    > Virus writers are starting to target web computers running the Linux
    > operating system.

    Starting to? *Someone* wrote teardrop.c -- and that was
    awhile ago. (True, that was a DoS, not a virus, but they
    had to start somewhere.)

    I'd have to research to see if the Mitnick worm could still
    hit a Linux box with sendmail -- and those are probably
    fairly rare nowadays (there are a number of replacements).

    > This week, many web servers running some versions of Linux have been
    > infected with a malicious program that uses the computers as a
    > springboard to spread itself around the internet.
    >
    > Although not destructive, the virus program is inconveniencing many
    > webmasters as it hogs resources while searching for new servers to infect.

    The virus program is destructive to its targets but it
    would be stupid for, say, a AMRAM to blow up while still
    attached to its hardpoint.

    > Experts have warned Linux users to expect growing numbers of attacks as
    > the operating system grows in popularity.

    Of course. Not sure how successful they'll be, but it is
    an arms race of sorts.

    > Instant access
    >
    > The webmasters who have had to deal with the problem are those running
    > sites using Redhat Linux. Servers have been invaded by a worm that
    > replaces the site's main page with one showing an image of a Ramen
    > instant noodle packet. The picture is accompanied by the message,
    > "Hackers looooooooooooove noodles".

    Apparently subtlety is not that particular hacker's
    strong point.

    A far better vector infection method, assuming it's
    possible, would be for a viruswriter to subtly infect
    a popular Flash ad campaign, which gets distributed to
    a lot of popular websites. This infection would lie in
    wait until a trigger event (e.g., March 6) or would "ping"
    a server maintained in Russia for further instructions.
    (The "ping", unfortunately, is detectable and blockable,
    if the IT guys are paying attention.)

    Of course I'm merely hypothesizing. Much weirder
    stuff is out there, such as viruses who "steal" blocks,
    compress them, and hide them from you. (This was back in
    the 1980s!)

    > Worms are a distinct class of viruses that can move around and replicate
    > by themselves. Typically viruses only move to other machines with the
    > help of the files they have infected.

    An interesting distinction.

    > The worm targets servers using version 6.2 and 7.0 of Redhat Linux. The
    > program looks for well known loopholes in these versions and exploits
    > them to copy itself on to the vulnerable machines.
    >
    > Once resident, the worm installs another program that closes the
    > loopholes it has exploited, replaces the main page of the site and then
    > starts scanning the web for new vulnerable machines.
    >
    > Although relatively benign, the virus is irritating because while
    > searching for new victims it swamps a server's link to the net.

    Well, make up your mind already; is it a worm, a virus,
    or a stupid piece of code that someone decided to write?

    > Closing the door
    >
    > Lax security measures have been blamed for the rash of infections. The
    > three loopholes that the Redhat worm exploits have been known about for
    > months and patches for them have been available for almost as long.
    > Redhat itself issued a patch in September last year.

    Well, there you have it then. Just replace them with
    Microsoft Winserver 2007. Problem solved. (Other problems
    would of course crop up -- lots of them -- and one would
    have a bit of a learning curve -- not to mention monetary
    outlay. But that's a detail.)

    > Analysis of the worm by security experts has found that it has been
    > created by sticking together existing programs.

    Most applications are created by sticking together existing code.

    > Many of the worms and other viruses that have plagued PC users over the
    > past couple of years have been made in this way by low-tech malicious
    > hackers who have come to be known as "script kiddies".
    >
    > Experts are warning webmasters using Linux, and any other operating
    > system, to be vigilant and keep up with patches and security updates.
    >
    > "As we see the operating system getting more popular, there will be an
    > increased incentive for virus writers to attack it," said Graham Cluley
    > from anti-virus firm Sophos. "There have been viruses for versions of
    > Unix before but they have not typically been very successful."
    >
    > Other versions of Linux possess the same vulnerabilities but this worm
    > only targets Redhat installations.

    Well, then they need to work on it then! Besides, RH 6.2
    is only a packaged product; the true vulnerabilities lie
    elsewhere, probably in apache, php, and such.

    Any system with those vulnerabilities could be infected
    if it's not patched, and both Apache and PHP are
    popular solutions on servers.

    This includes Gentoo, of course...though without specifics
    I've not a clue here, and RH 6.2 is so old it creaks.

    > "If there is an increase in targetted vulnerabilities, there is also an
    > increase in good eyeballs looking at it and posting patches," said a
    > spokeswoman for Redhat. "Because the code is open, there's no place for
    > security breaches to hide."

    There's open and then there's readily visible. While we
    do have a better chance with RedHat than with Microsoft
    (unless one's signed an NDA), it doesn't mean the code is
    going to be instantly comprehensible to the casual user.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because vaporware only goes so far.

  18. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    Frank wrote:

    > From: smoke

    > From: owl
    >

    > *LOL*
    >
    > Ask HPT to help you with your socking.

    OMG it's called a LAN you ****tard. ROFL

  19. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:10:40 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >

    >> Yep, trolls are getting stupider every day here.

    > But none, I repeat none, have reached the level of ignorance that you
    > occupy High Plains Hopper.

    It's only thanks to High Plains Hypocrite that people like Mark Kent get
    forgotten as "moderate". High Plains Hypocrite makes Willy Boaster look
    smart.

    --
    "Off the top of my head, I can't tell you which sites. They are ones that
    throw up some kind of dialog, I change the user agent and look at them

  20. Re: [news]Linux virus infection fears

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:12:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:10:40 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yep, trolls are getting stupider every day here.

    >> But none, I repeat none, have reached the level of ignorance that you
    >> occupy High Plains Hopper.

    > It's only thanks to High Plains Hypocrite that people like Mark Kent get
    > forgotten as "moderate". High Plains Hypocrite makes Willy Boaster look
    > smart.

    True.
    HPT is an idiot's idiot.