[News] [Rival] DRM a Lost Cause - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] DRM a Lost Cause

    Racing Against Reversers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Each time a new digital rights management (DRM) system is released, hackers
    | are not far behind in cracking it. Reverse engineers have taken down the
    | security protecting content encoded for Windows Media, iTunes, DVDs, and
    | HD-DVDs.
    `----

    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/474

    Piracy Must Pay

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Real piracy, as in bad guys in boats attacking merchantmen for the cargo or
    | seizing passengers to hold for ransom. The incidents of piracy worldwide have
    | risen to the point that there is now on average one per day someplace.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/9/42964

    DVD dog dies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A DOG WHICH WAS TRAINED to sniff out pirated DVDs has died in mysterious
    | circumstances, according to the New Straits Times.
    |
    | Manny, a one-year-old golden Labrador which arrived in Malaysia in February,
    | died about a week ago. Vets are conducting a post-mortem and the implication
    | is that the dog was killed by pirates.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...0/dvd-dog-dead

    Recent:

    Napster nails DRM with largest MP3 catalogue

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18338/1054/

    Adobe, You Piece Of ****!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0, but
    | not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I paid
    | for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
    `----

    http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...piece-of-****-

    What is blocking Vista users from recording NBC shows?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some users of Windows Vista Media Center say they were blocked from recording
    | the NBC Universal TV shows American Gladiator and Medium on Monday night.
    |
    | "Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator prohibit recording of
    | this program," the error message read.
    `----

    When DRM detonates your music collection

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
    | has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
    | DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
    | registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
    | server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
    | new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3898784.ece

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] DRM a Lost Cause

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Racing Against Reversers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Each time a new digital rights management (DRM) system is released,
    > hackers
    > | are not far behind in cracking it. Reverse engineers have taken down the
    > | security protecting content encoded for Windows Media, iTunes, DVDs, and
    > | HD-DVDs.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/474
    >
    > Piracy Must Pay
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Real piracy, as in bad guys in boats attacking merchantmen for the cargo
    > or
    > | seizing passengers to hold for ransom. The incidents of piracy worldwide
    > have
    > | risen to the point that there is now on average one per day someplace.
    > `----
    >
    > http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/9/42964
    >
    > DVD dog dies
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A DOG WHICH WAS TRAINED to sniff out pirated DVDs has died in mysterious
    > | circumstances, according to the New Straits Times.
    > |
    > | Manny, a one-year-old golden Labrador which arrived in Malaysia in
    > February,
    > | died about a week ago. Vets are conducting a post-mortem and the
    > implication
    > | is that the dog was killed by pirates.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...0/dvd-dog-dead
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Napster nails DRM with largest MP3 catalogue
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Napster has driven another nail into the coffin of DRM-protected music
    > sales
    > | with a new and well-stocked online store offering MP3 downloads.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18338/1054/
    >

    > Adobe, You Piece Of ****!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0,
    > but
    > | not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I
    > paid
    > | for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
    > `----
    >
    > http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...piece-of-****-