BJP to launch ambitious tech initiative to gain edge in elections

,----[ Quote ]
| In an attempt to use communication and computing technology to gain an edge
| in next year’s elections to India’s Lok Sabha and beyond, the Bharatiya
| Janata Party or BJP is deploying an ambitious technology plan, built on a
| foundation of free and open-source software, which will bring video
| conferencing, Internet telephony and unified communication to around four
| million party workers by 2011.
|
| [...]
|
| The decision to use open-source software across the board, the party’s IT
| cell says, offers the party a number of significant advantages.
|
| “Open-source software gives you a greater flexibility and allows for very
| precise customization,” says Sidharth Gupta, Troop Software, an open-source
| solutions provider working with BJP on its internal communication system.
|
| [...]
|
| “The cost advantage open-source software enjoys over most proprietary
| solutions is that it has no incremental cost per user for software.” For most
| proprietary software, adding additional users to a system would require
| additional licences. “But here, whether it’s 500 users or 50,000, that cost
| does not increase,” says Chamarty.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2008/06/0923...us-tech-i.html

That's not what open source means though. This one also seems 'fluffy':

Opengear Adds Open Source Network UPS Tools to Range of Console Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Opengear, a leading provider of next generation out-of-band management
| solutions, today announced the inclusion of Network UPS Tools in its range of
| console servers, providing a further boost to its overall power management
| offering targeting data centre and remote branch offices.
|
| The open source Network UPS Tools provide secure monitoring and control of
| distributed Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) hardware from all the leading
| vendors.
`----

http://newsblaze.com/story/200806100.../topstory.html

Recent:

What Policy Should India Adopt for ICT in School Education?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gnowgi.org/2008/04/27/what-po...ool-education/