[News] [SOT] More Surveillance in the UK - Linux

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] More Surveillance in the UK

    wrote
    on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:49:51 +0100
    <1360922.HC8R1bCLWY@schestowitz.com>:

    > No ID Card Function Creep? Pull the Other One
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Now, tell me again why we should trust the UK government over ID cards? At
    > | least it seems a few other people are beginning to have their doubts:
    > |
    > | The government should limit the data it collects on citizens for its ID
    > | card scheme to avoid creating a surveillance society, a group of MPs has
    > | warned.
    > `----
    >
    > http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ull-other.html

    The problem is not in the ID cards, but in the usage of
    information related thereto. Briefly put, an ID card:

    - has an identity

    and is associated with records, each of which has:

    - a location
    - a time
    - potentially, an action e.g., credit verification for purchasing

    In the case of Oyster, it's apparently a tracking system
    for the purpose of bus/subway fare. A vaguely similar
    system (FastPass), which is attached here to vehicles,
    allows tracking of a vehicle as it drives over one of
    the San Francisco Bay Area bridges. It is not clear to
    me what Caltrans, the managing authority for FastPass
    (AFAIK), stores in the way of credit info.

    An ID card is basically a public key into a number of
    databases, all of which could conceptually be joined
    together to figure out exactly where a person is at any
    time of day.

    Is this evil? Wish I knew for sure. Makes me nervous, though,
    if not carefully controlled.

    > RMS Adds a Little Oyster Sauce
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I refrained from commenting because I have big problems with the Oyster
    > | system.
    > `----
    >
    > http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ter-sauce.html

    An interesting suggestion, making a tiny Faraday cage,
    so that radiation (microwave, presumably) can't get into
    or out of the card. Of course the powers-that-be might
    frown on that sort of thing.

    > Last week:
    >
    > ID Cards: Scandalous as Well as Idiotic
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In other words, the UK government is trying to use a kind of financial
    > | blackmail to keep its idiotic projects going: continue or cough up. And to
    > | add insult to injury, it cloaks its activities in secrecy. What a morally
    > | corrupt bunch.
    > `----
    >
    > http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...s-idiotic.html

    The trouble is that a dollar bill is an ID card as well --
    though not a remotely readable one (unless one waves it
    around and someone else has some sort of laser scanner).
    Since dollar bills are freely transferable (they have to be
    to make payments!), there's not much in the way of identity
    issues except that someone might steal the actual bill
    (muggings, robbery/theft).

    That might be the essential difference.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.