Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice" - Linux

This is a discussion on Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice" - Linux ; "Microsoft admits it goofed. Posting a project under an open source license without including the code is bad form. The question is how much this might hurt Microsot. In the open source community itís already as popular as George W. ...

  1. Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    "Microsoft admits it goofed. Posting a project under an open source
    license without including the code is bad form.

    The question is how much this might hurt Microsot. In the open source
    community itís already as popular as George W. Bush at an Obama rally.
    How much worse can things get?"

    [...]

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2526

    -RFH

  2. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice"

    Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

  3. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "BackOrifice"

    On Jun 10, 1:18 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in messagenews:66faa0af-0146-4a1a-9bf9-c425b5fc55c4@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice"
    >
    > Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    It is individuals like you, who are devoid of a modicum of initiative
    to add anything (no source code, no opinions of your own, no
    interpretation of the news: nothing) and prefer to select some entity
    (Gates and Co. in this case) which you obediently -like a Microserf-
    and blindly follow.

    Some of us have the things that you lack: intelligence, dignity and
    freedom.

    -RFH

    pd: No, I don't have the privilege of being gay. You have any
    prejudice against gay people? Are you waiting for Bill Gates to
    approve of them?

  4. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:18:34 -0400
    <93d78$484eb76a$3147@news.teranews.com>:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >

    > I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice"
    >
    > Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    Back Orifice is a rather dated reference to a rather
    notorious viral management solution initially developed
    for the Win95 branch.

    One might consider it the precursor to the worms of today,
    though I'd have to research the issue.

    I have no idea who named it such.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  5. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    > On Jun 10, 1:18 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in
    >> messagenews:66faa0af-0146-4a1a-9bf9-c425b5fc55c4@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back
    >> Orifice"
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    > It is individuals like you, who are devoid of a modicum of initiative
    > to add anything (no source code, no opinions of your own, no
    > interpretation of the news: nothing) and prefer to select some entity
    > (Gates and Co. in this case) which you obediently -like a Microserf-
    > and blindly follow.
    >
    > Some of us have the things that you lack: intelligence, dignity and
    > freedom.

    Only a *fool* would think that intelligence, dignity and freedom are somehow
    related to the OS that you run on your computer. Perhaps if I was an idiot I
    would judge the "intelligence, dignity and freedom" of individuals based on
    the software they use but those words are too important to use on such
    frivolous issues.

    > -RFH
    >
    > pd: No, I don't have the privilege of being gay.

    I wouldn't consider being gay a privilege. I doubt that many gay individuals
    consider it a "privilege" to be gay.

    > You have any prejudice against gay people?

    Depends on the person. I have nothing against someone being gay. But if gay
    men insist on dressing up in tight leather shorts, fishnet stockings and
    then parade down Main Street while dry-humping each other then I do have a
    problem with that.

    > Are you waiting for Bill Gates to approve of them?

    Why do you think that Bill Gates has something against gay people?

  6. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "BackOrifice"

    On Jun 10, 1:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:18:34 -0400
    > <93d78$484eb76a$3...@news.teranews.com>:
    >

    > > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    > > I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice"

    > > Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    > Back Orifice is a rather dated reference to a rather
    > notorious viral management solution initially developed
    > for the Win95 branch.
    >
    > One might consider it the precursor to the worms of today,
    > though I'd have to research the issue.
    >
    > I have no idea who named it such.

    The expression I am referring to comes from a group of Microsoft terms
    that have been obliterated in order to poke fun at their expense.

    - Back Office became "Back Orifice"
    - Exchange became "Virus Exchange"

    ....and so on.

    The name at hand, SandCastle, is remarkable because you don't have to
    change a comma.

    -Ramon

  7. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    "Ramon F Herrera" schreef in bericht
    > On Jun 10, 1:18 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in
    >> messagenews:66faa0af-0146-4a1a-9bf9-c425b5fc55c4@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back
    >> Orifice"
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    > It is individuals like you, who are devoid of a modicum of initiative
    > to add anything (no source code, no opinions of your own, no
    > interpretation of the news: nothing) and prefer to select some entity
    > (Gates and Co. in this case) which you obediently -like a Microserf-
    > and blindly follow.

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  8. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ramon F Herrera

    wrote
    on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
    <64c27091-d84b-4ca4-8baf-600665a910d3@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jun 10, 1:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:18:34 -0400
    >> <93d78$484eb76a$3...@news.teranews.com>:
    >>

    >> > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    >> > I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice"

    >> > Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    >> Back Orifice is a rather dated reference to a rather
    >> notorious viral management solution initially developed
    >> for the Win95 branch.
    >>
    >> One might consider it the precursor to the worms of today,
    >> though I'd have to research the issue.
    >>
    >> I have no idea who named it such.
    >>

    > The expression I am referring to comes from a group of Microsoft terms
    > that have been obliterated in order to poke fun at their expense.
    >
    > - Back Office became "Back Orifice"
    > - Exchange became "Virus Exchange"
    >
    > ...and so on.
    >
    > The name at hand, SandCastle, is remarkable because you don't have to
    > change a comma.
    >
    > -Ramon

    I'm assuming you're referring to

    https://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/

    which not only has a misconfigured certificate, but also starts out
    with the rather cheery message

    Sandcastle project removed from Codeplex

    We have removed Sandcastle project from Codeplex after carefully
    evaluating the feedback from this thread
    http://www.codeplex.com/Sandcastle/T...ThreadId=29085
    (currently unavailable).

    So not only can we not see the source code, we can't even see the
    reason why it was removed without registering with Codeplex.

    Ow, my brain.

    Google also coughed up

    http://www.sandcastledocs.com/Wiki%20Pages/Home.aspx

    I do wonder if it's a ... wait for it ... washed-up project...

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  9. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    In article <93d78$484eb76a$3147@news.teranews.com>, "Ezekiel"
    wrote:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >

    > I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back Orifice."
    >
    > Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    Afraid of getting turned on, Zeke?

  10. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Back Orifice is a rather dated reference to a rather notorious viral
    > management solution initially developed for the Win95 branch.
    >
    > One might consider it the precursor to the worms of today, though I'd
    > have to research the issue.
    >
    > I have no idea who named it such.

    The program debuted at DEF CON 6 on August 1, 1998. It was the
    brainchild of Sir Dystic, a member of the U.S. hacker organization CULT
    OF THE DEAD COW. According to the group, its purpose was to demonstrate
    the lack of security in Microsoft's operating system Windows 98.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Orifice

    Hmm, a program to "demonstrate the lack of security in Microsoft's
    operating system Windows 98".

    Well that description covers nearly every Win32 program ever written.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    22:11:55 up 172 days, 18:47, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.27, 0.19

  11. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    "Chance Furlong" wrote in message
    > In article <93d78$484eb76a$3147@news.teranews.com>, "Ezekiel"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>

    >> I don't see anything in that article that makes mention of a "Back
    >> Orifice."
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should take your deviant homosexual fantasies elsewhere?

    > Afraid of getting turned on, Zeke?

    I hear gerbils squeaking, as if in a dank, malodorous cave.

  12. Re: Sandcastle: The best Microsoft-originated name since "Back Orifice"

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > It is individuals like you, who are devoid of a modicum of initiative
    > to add anything (no source code, no opinions of your own, no
    > interpretation of the news: nothing) and prefer to select some entity
    > (Gates and Co. in this case) which you obediently -like a Microserf-
    > and blindly follow.

    Signed, RFH
    Lifelong Windows User
    FairWeather Linux Advocate
    Hypocrite

    > Some of us have the things that you lack: intelligence, dignity and
    > freedom.

    Haven't seen you display a shred of intelligence or dignity. Mostly you
    just lie and post anti-MS bull**** from Windows.

+ Reply to Thread