NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation" - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation" - Linux ; amicus_curious wrote: > It has been said before and needs to be said again and again, it seems. > Vista is the latest desktop Windows. *It is great because it is Windows and > it is present. *It is not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > It has been said before and needs to be said again and again, it seems.
    > Vista is the latest desktop Windows. *It is great because it is Windows and
    > it is present. *It is not some obscure thing with a cutesy name like
    > Fabulous Frog or Hideous Hog or whatever, it is right there on the shelf in
    > the store and on sale to boot! *Talk all you want of Linux and sophisticated
    > Norwegians and fat hippies looking to free software from the bounds of
    > commerce, but that stuff isn't around where you can even buy it if you
    > wanted it. *Vista is here and now and available everywhere. *That is what
    > makes the average person want to buy it.

    Was this really written by "amicus_curious", or is it a forgery by some
    sarcastic Brit taking the piss out of Microsoft?

    Either way, it's the funniest posting I've seen so far this month, and Thank
    You whoever it was:-)

  2. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> It's true. Linux is completely and utterly lacking in innovation.

    > Your post lacks innovation.

    Of course. It was almost entirely a copy.

    --
    I wish I wasn't ... There's nothing good that comes out of that. You get more
    visibility as a result of it.

  3. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    TROLL

    Linonut wrote:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >>>

    >>> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/visualbas...novation-13721

    > The key here is in the URL: visualbasic/dotnet
    >
    >> Well, OK, then, Linux lacks innovation. It's a monolithic
    >> kernel with recycled code (nothing bad in that per se,
    >> of course, SCO's claims notwithstanding; there's only so
    >> many ways to write a for loop) and loadable modules (but
    >> with a skeletal structure that's unchangeable, unlike,
    >> say, Plan 9). It's packaged reasonably well, and works,
    >> but is not innovative.
    >>
    >> How innovative is Vista? What innovations exist in Vista?
    >> What would make the average person shout "Oh, that's so
    >> [censored] [censored] COOL!" and rush out and buy Vista?
    >>
    >> Go for it.

    > Ghost, why do you lend even the slightest credence to Zeke's bull****?
    >
    > C'mon, man! Tweak the Zeke! Many people like to!

  4. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    TROLL

    Linonut wrote:
> [...]

    >> that Linux was created for free and given out for free, and
    >> even then it borrowed from Richard Stallman (the GPL, and
    >> GNU utilities) to do it. But that's not an innovation *in*
    >> Linux, it's an innovation surrounding it.

    > Dude, think a bit. Although all work is based on work that went before,
    > and is thus not completely original, even the most basic gruntwork
    > functionality is created though a large number of small innovations.
    >
    > Innovation is where you look at a problem, and don't see any existing
    > solution out there, and so you have to stew a bit, and apply your own
    > mind to come up with a new juxtaposition of functionality in order to
    > solve your problems.
    >
    > Linux /is/ innovative.
    >
    > Heck, even Windows /is/ innovative, even though some related
    > functionality was purchased from someone who had already innovated a
    > solution. Microsoft programmers, too, have to solve a lot of problems
    > just to get their shiznet out the door.
    >
    >> It's not the best question though. No one's innovated
    >> the steering wheel for many years (a few have tried), because
    >> it's a solution that's reasonably intuitive and works fine
    >> for most if not all drivers.

    > Except certain types of handicaps, for which major innovation was
    > necessary.
    >
    > Even the steering has changed:
    >
    > o New, better materials
    > o Fatter, more grippable rim
    > o Airbag in steering wheel
    > o Controls in steering wheel (including paddle shifters and cruise
    > control)
    > o Tilting and extending
    >
    >> Linux is in the same boat. It works fine. What does it need?
    >> What does a distro based on Linux need?

    > It needs constant incremental improvements. And the need for new
    > functionality is ongoing.
    >
    >> And of course my annoyance at "Linux the kernel" versus
    >> "Linux the distro" is well known -- or should be. I'm
    >> a Gentoo distro user; that's a relatively sophisticated
    >> solution. I find it easy to use, but then that's because
    >> I can actually *read*.

    > The kernel may be the most innovative part of Linux, since it has
    > recapitulated the functionality of a lot of other OS's, but in ways that
    > can be very different.
    >
    > Even GNU is innovative -- gettext support, readline, the "no artificial
    > limits" philosophy, the info pages, the GPL.
    >
    > The Linux GUIs are /all/ innovative. Just compare GNOME and KDE to the
    > paucity of functionality that the Windows desktop permits, for example.
    > And fluxbox, which is very different from all of them.
    >
    > Even if you completely copy a concept, you still have to solve a lot of
    > little problems integrating the concept into your current body of code.
    > It can be very hard work.
    >
    > Relatively few innovations are "big" (e.g. in the way Xerox PARC's GUI
    > work or the Ethernet work was). Most of them are incremental.
    > Nonetheless, they are innovations, and they do add up.

  5. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> How innovative is Vista? What innovations exist in Vista?
    >>> What would make the average person shout "Oh, that's so
    >>> [censored] [censored] COOL!" and rush out and buy Vista?

    >> Well, they think by completely changing the UI, AGAIN, that this is
    >> innovative.
    >> What would be innovative for Windows would be to fix the problems, and
    >> then leave the bloody thing alone.

    > You must be thinking of KDE or gnome. Add wobbly windows and a rotating 3D
    > cube instead of fixing the bugs and crashes.

    Idiot.
    The wobbly windows and the rotating cube are nothing to do with KDE or Gnome.
    That's a different project.
    You have HEARD of compiz-fusion, compiz or beryl haven't you?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  6. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > I don't think there's anything innovative in Vista. As a matter of fact, I
    > wouldn't be surprised to see very few if any innovations ("completely
    > original ideas") in software. Everything that I've seen for the past several
    > years is basically an improvement of an existing idea. Most of the
    > innovations that I've seen are at the hardware level.

    So why single out linux if there's not been a single innovation in ANY
    software you've seen for the past few years?

    Oh, right... Hypocrite and troll... Gotcha.

  7. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:17:26 -0400
    > <75dcc$484ec537$8296@news.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:ktz3k.6845$E41.3149@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    >>> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Ezekiel wrote on behalf of Half Wits
    >>> from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> It is YOU DUMB**** that is USING the misfortunes of that poor Reiser woman
    >>> to further your attacks on Linux.

    >> Don't blame me for her misfortunes. I didn't kill her. She was murdered by
    >> the guy who wrote your linux filesystem.

    > "Your" implies "the", which is most certainly not the case
    > in Linux.
    >
    > ext2 -- generic Linux filesystem, tried and true and rather old
    > ext3 -- ext2 with journaling
    > reiserfs -- the filesystem under dispute, written by a convicted
    > murderer, presumably before he murdered his wife
    > jfs -- IBM-sponsored filesystem

    You forgot xfs.

    > Please control yourself "7". Idiocy is not worth screaming at, merely
    > debunking. ;-)

    Expecting reasonable discourse from "7"?
    Nahhhh, can't see that happening.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  8. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    * Ray peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > TROLL

    Buh bye, 'Tinkerbell.

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

  9. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> You must be thinking of KDE or gnome. Add wobbly windows and a rotating 3D
    >> cube instead of fixing the bugs and crashes.

    > Idiot.

    It's worse. He is deliberately an idiot.

    > The wobbly windows and the rotating cube are nothing to do with KDE or Gnome.
    > That's a different project.
    > You have HEARD of compiz-fusion, compiz or beryl haven't you?

    /Never/ depend on ol' Zeke for accuracy.

    --
    I think it's fair to say that personal computers have become the most
    empowering tool we've ever created. They're tools of communication, they're

  10. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> It's true. Linux is completely and utterly lacking in innovation.

    > Your post lacks innovation.

    Exactly what part of quoting an article between a set of
    tags is too difficult for you to comprehend?

  11. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    Ray Schitopants wrote:

    >TROLL

    *plonk*

  12. Re: NEWS - "Linux Lacks Innovation"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:50:47 +0100
    <78g4i5-94q.ln1@ponder.sky.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:17:26 -0400
    >> <75dcc$484ec537$8296@news.teranews.com>:
    >>>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:ktz3k.6845$E41.3149@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    >>> Don't blame me for her misfortunes. I didn't kill her. She was murdered by
    >>> the guy who wrote your linux filesystem.

    >> "Your" implies "the", which is most certainly not the case
    >> in Linux.
    >>
    >> ext2 -- generic Linux filesystem, tried and true and rather old
    >> ext3 -- ext2 with journaling
    >> reiserfs -- the filesystem under dispute, written by a convicted
    >> murderer, presumably before he murdered his wife
    >> jfs -- IBM-sponsored filesystem

    > You forgot xfs.

    Hmm...I'm probably confusing xfs with xiafs, but yes, you're right.

    >> Please control yourself "7". Idiocy is not worth screaming at, merely
    >> debunking. ;-)

    > Expecting reasonable discourse from "7"?
    > Nahhhh, can't see that happening.

    *shrug*

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2