[News] [Rival] Windows 7apourware/ME3/Vista SP2 is Already Dead - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows 7apourware/ME3/Vista SP2 is Already Dead

    Windows 7: R.I.P.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Death throes. That’s how I’d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
    | Microsoft. The company’s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
    | shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Now we learn that there’s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
    | according to Microsoft, “it’ll be just like Vista.”
    |
    | Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
    | version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they’re
    | killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
    | are hell bent on proving that the Vista “Refuseniks” were wrong, and they’re
    | not above using force to achieve their goal.
    |
    | That’s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
    | veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
    | compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That’s because
    | Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
    | to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...ows_7_rip.html

    Even Randall Kennedy trashes Windows now that it's dying. He used to criticise
    Linux.

    Recent:

    Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
    | find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
    | following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
    | continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
    | for quality products on their terms. * *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2008/04/10/microsofts-credibility-turning-to-junk-while-linux-revenue-grows/
    http://tinyurl.com/5fojkd

    Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
    Power Rankings

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
    | Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
    | 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
    | that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
    | bigger and they're still #1. * *
    `----

    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/02...nd-mspoll.html

    Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
    | received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
    | and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
    | category was brand USA. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...50164020080331

    What we do know about Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows 7 will be a minor update to Vista — with “minor,” here, meaning as
    | less disruptive as possible to users and their applications. Microsoft has
    | said Windows 7 will use the same driver model that Vista did.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1413

    CIOs Uncensored: For The Sake Of IT, Leave XP Alone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just finished a presentation to a group of nontechnical executives, and I'm
    | even more angry about Microsoft's plan to end shipments of Windows XP this
    | summer. I'd been making my list of reasons Microsoft shouldn't get rid of XP.
    | Now I've got one more biggie--it's going to set back the hard-earned progress
    | CIOs have been making in getting IT viewed as a strategic part of their
    | organizations.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/57t2st

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows 7apourware/ME3/Vista SP2 is Already Dead

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Windows 7: R.I.P.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Death throes. That?s how I?d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
    >| Microsoft. The company?s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
    >| shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Now we learn that there?s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
    >| according to Microsoft, ?it?ll be just like Vista.?
    >|
    >| Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
    >| version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they?re
    >| killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
    >| are hell bent on proving that the Vista ?Refuseniks? were wrong, and they?re
    >| not above using force to achieve their goal.
    >|
    >| That?s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
    >| veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
    >| compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That?s because
    >| Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
    >| to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.
    > `----
    >
    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...ows_7_rip.html
    >
    > Even Randall Kennedy trashes Windows now that it's dying. He used to criticise
    > Linux.

    The network effect is a very interesting thing. Once sufficient people
    take up a particular view, then the bandwagon effect begins. There is
    surprisingly little original thought around, but on this occasion, it
    does seem to be recognised that Windows is Beyond Economic Repair.