"Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated" - Linux

This is a discussion on "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated" - Linux ; http://tinyurl.com/46jhx6 "BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- The European Union fined Microsoft Corp. a record $1.3 billion on Wednesday for charging rivals too much for software information. EU regulators said the company charged "unreasonable prices" until last October to software developers who ...

  1. "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated"

    http://tinyurl.com/46jhx6

    "BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- The European Union fined Microsoft Corp. a
    record $1.3 billion on Wednesday for charging rivals too much for
    software information.

    EU regulators said the company charged "unreasonable prices" until
    last October to software developers who wanted to make products
    compatible with the Windows desktop operating system.

    Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) immediately said that these fines were
    about past issues that have been resolved and the company was now
    working under new principles to make its products more open.

    The fine is the largest ever for a single company and the first time
    the EU has penalized a business for failing to obey an antitrust
    order.

    The penalty far outweighs a a March 2004 decision that fined Microsoft
    $613 million and ordered it to share communications information with
    rivals within 120 days, taking an appeal to an EU court that it lost
    last September."

    ------------------------

    EU slaps Microsoft with $1.35 billion fine

    "European Union regulators on Wednesday fined Microsoft a record 899
    million euros, or $1.35 billion, for failing to comply with sanctions.

    The sanctions stem from a 2004 ruling, upheld by an EU court last
    year, that Microsoft had withheld information from rivals on how to
    interoperate with its software.

    The court had ordered Microsoft to supply the information to rivals.
    The company did make the information available, but charged royalty
    rates that the court said were too high.

    In its ruling, the Commission said that Microsoft had charged
    "unreasonable prices for access to interface documentation for work
    group servers."

    The fine is the largest ever imposed by the EU upon a single company.
    In total, the EU has fined Microsoft roughly $2.5 billion in the long-
    running antitrust dispute.

    "Microsoft was the first company in 50 years of EU competition policy
    that the Commission has had to fine for failure to comply with an
    antitrust decision. I hope that today's decision closes a dark chapter
    in Microsoft's record of non-compliance with the Commission's March
    2004 decision," EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said in a
    statement.

    [...]

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9880256-7.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2x5o44

    -Ramon

    I am sure many of you remember that Uncle Fester flew to Holland and
    took Neely out to dinner.

    Guess it didn't work... Perhaps the food was bad. Perhaps he threw
    some chairs around.

    -RFH

  2. Re: "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated"

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > I am sure many of you remember that Uncle Fester flew to Holland and
    > took Neely out to dinner.
    >
    > Guess it didn't work... Perhaps the food was bad. Perhaps he threw
    > some chairs around.

    Where does she come from?

    It throws a whole new light on "Going Dutch", doesn't it?:-)

  3. Re: "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated"

    On Jun 10, 9:01 am, bbgruff wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > I am sure many of you remember that Uncle Fester flew to Holland and
    > > took Neely out to dinner.

    > > Guess it didn't work... Perhaps the food was bad. Perhaps he threw
    > > some chairs around.

    > Where does she come from?
    >
    > It throws a whole new light on "Going Dutch", doesn't it?:-)

    When it comes to geography, she is Dutch all right:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neelie_Kroes

    However, as far as applying sanctions, she is far from Dutch: "the
    blame is 100% attributable to the multi-convicted monopolist!".

    I say we forget McCain and Obama:

    Neelie for President! (don't care if we have to modify the
    Constitution).

    -Ramon

  4. Re: "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated"

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On Jun 10, 9:01 am, bbgruff wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> > I am sure many of you remember that Uncle Fester flew to Holland and
    >> > took Neely out to dinner.

    >> > Guess it didn't work... Perhaps the food was bad. Perhaps he threw
    >> > some chairs around.

    > > Where does she come from?
    > >
    > > It throws a whole new light on "Going Dutch", doesn't it?:-)

    > When it comes to geography, she is Dutch all right:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neelie_Kroes
    >
    > However, as far as applying sanctions, she is far from Dutch: "the
    > blame is 100% attributable to the multi-convicted monopolist!".
    >
    > I say we forget McCain and Obama:
    >
    > Neelie for President! (don't care if we have to modify the
    > Constitution).

    Unless I get her to stand for Prime Minister first?:-)

    Have you seen todays's?

    http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en
    http://tinyurl.com/6mtzgp

    (try the PDF)

  5. Re: "Just because he buys you dinner, do not feel obligated"

    "Ramon F Herrera" schreef in bericht

    > http://tinyurl.com/46jhx6
    >
    > "BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- The European Union fined Microsoft Corp. a
    > record $1.3 billion on Wednesday for charging rivals too much for
    > software information.

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks