Re: Linux on Mars - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux on Mars - Linux ; * Darth Chaos peremptorily fired off this memo: > http://www.bloggernews.net/116062 > > Linux On Mars > Posted on June 6th, 2008 > by Simon Barrett > > When NASA needs an operating system for a Mars lander does it go ...

  1. Re: Linux on Mars

    * Darth Chaos peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.bloggernews.net/116062
    >
    > Linux On Mars
    > Posted on June 6th, 2008
    > by Simon Barrett
    >
    > When NASA needs an operating system for a Mars lander does it go
    > knocking on Bill Gates? door? The answer is no. The newly arrived on
    > the planet Phoenix Lander is powered by a variation of Linux running
    > on a specially hardened CPU and motherboard produced by IBM.

    Ooooops:

    > When it comes to software NASA need something that is bullet proof,
    > and bullet proof software is what NASA is great at. It is not often
    > that they make mistakes. At the heart of the Phoenix Lander is a
    > variant of Linux, VxWorks, ...

    Uh, no, VxWorkds is not a derivative of Linux.

    Bad reporter!

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself

  2. Re: Linux on Mars

    Linonut wrote:

    >> When it comes to software NASA need something that is bullet proof,
    >> and bullet proof software is what NASA is great at. It is not often
    >> that they make mistakes. At the heart of the Phoenix Lander is a
    >> variant of Linux, VxWorks, ...

    > Uh, no, VxWorkds is not a derivative of Linux.
    >
    > Bad reporter!

    It's also proprietary. :-s

  3. Re: Linux on Mars

    On Jun 9, 1:28 pm, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    > >> When it comes to software NASA need something that is bullet proof,
    > >> and bullet proof software is what NASA is great at. It is not often
    > >> that they make mistakes. At the heart of the Phoenix Lander is a
    > >> variant of Linux, VxWorks, ...

    > > Uh, no, VxWorkds is not a derivative of Linux.

    > > Bad reporter!

    > It's also proprietary. :-s

    Do you mean VxWorks from this company?
    http://www.windriver.com/vxworks/