[News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/te...nt&oref=slogin

    > The Cells typically run Fedora, IIRC.
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > IBM cells out, allegedly
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Biggish blue has officially released its first computing system based
    > | around the Cell Broadband Engine, or Cell BE.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | One of the beta users at the University of Manchester said it gave the
    > | outfit improved performance, took up less space, and consumed less
    > | power.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34831
    >

    > IBM begins selling Cell blades
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Unlike IBM blades with Big Blue's Power processors, Intel's Xeon or
    > | Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron, the Cell blades can't be intermixed
    > | with other varieties in the same BladeCenter chassis. The systems
    > | run Red Hat's Fedora Core 5 version of Linux.
    > `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115...5225&subj=news

    Awesome news about te Cell. I wonder when the Cell will be available for
    desktop usage? I long for the day when I could have a quad core Cell and
    Linux on my desk.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Tuesday 10 June 2008 02:01 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Military Supercomputer Sets Record
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Roadrunner is based on a radical design that includes 12,960 chips
    >> | that are an improved version of an I.B.M. Cell microprocessor, a
    >> | parallel processing chip originally created for Sony?s PlayStation 3
    >> | video-game machine. The Sony chips are used as accelerators, or
    >> | turbochargers, for portions of calculations.
    >> `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/te...nt&oref=slogin

    >> The Cells typically run Fedora, IIRC.
    >>

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> IBM cells out, allegedly
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Biggish blue has officially released its first computing system based
    >> | around the Cell Broadband Engine, or Cell BE.
    >> |
    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | One of the beta users at the University of Manchester said it gave the
    >> | outfit improved performance, took up less space, and consumed less
    >> | power.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34831
    >>

    >> IBM begins selling Cell blades
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Unlike IBM blades with Big Blue's Power processors, Intel's Xeon or
    >> | Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron, the Cell blades can't be intermixed
    >> | with other varieties in the same BladeCenter chassis. The systems
    >> | run Red Hat's Fedora Core 5 version of Linux.
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115...5225&subj=news
    >

    > Awesome news about te Cell. I wonder when the Cell will be available for
    > desktop usage? I long for the day when I could have a quad core Cell and
    > Linux on my desk.

    Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that requires
    so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from the
    desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
    Tasks: 165 total, 1 running, 164 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Tuesday 10 June 2008 02:01 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Military Supercomputer Sets Record
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/te...nt&oref=slogin

    >>> The Cells typically run Fedora, IIRC.
    >>>

    >>> Related:
    >>>
    >>> IBM cells out, allegedly
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34831
    >>>

    >>> IBM begins selling Cell blades
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115...5225&subj=news

    >> Awesome news about te Cell. I wonder when the Cell will be available for
    >> desktop usage? I long for the day when I could have a quad core Cell and
    >> Linux on my desk.

    > Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that
    > requires so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from
    > the desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.

    It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
    desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the likes
    of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of Cell and
    Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD too. Seem's
    to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is, why and what
    are they waiting for?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Jerry McBride on Tuesday 10 June 2008 02:01 : \____

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/te...nt&oref=slogin

    > http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115...5225&subj=news
    >>>

    >>> Awesome news about te Cell. I wonder when the Cell will be available for
    >>> desktop usage? I long for the day when I could have a quad core Cell and
    >>> Linux on my desk.

    >> Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that
    >> requires so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from
    >> the desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.
    >>

    > It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
    > desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the likes
    > of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of Cell and
    > Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD too. Seem's
    > to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is, why and what
    > are they waiting for?

    It's absolutely amazing how you are so smart and everyone who works at IBM
    is so stupid. The CEO of IBM should fire a few thousand people and replace
    them all with just you, the linux advocate who posts to COLA. Clearly
    everyone who works at IBM is completely incompetent bordering on retarded
    because not a single one of the thousands of IBM employees is able to come
    up with this same "brilliant" idea that took you all of 15-seconds to
    discover.

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:10:16 -0400
    <603b8$484ed199$14016@news.teranews.com>:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message

    [crunch]

    >> It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
    >> desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the likes
    >> of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of Cell and
    >> Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD too. Seem's
    >> to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is, why and what
    >> are they waiting for?

    > It's absolutely amazing how you are so smart and everyone who works at IBM
    > is so stupid. The CEO of IBM should fire a few thousand people and replace
    > them all with just you, the linux advocate who posts to COLA. Clearly
    > everyone who works at IBM is completely incompetent bordering on retarded
    > because not a single one of the thousands of IBM employees is able to come
    > up with this same "brilliant" idea that took you all of 15-seconds to
    > discover.

    There's also the question as to why IBM would be in such
    a business at all; they after all divested themselves of
    Lenovo not that long ago, and Lenovo's speciality is x86
    and x86/64 desktops. A Cell-powered desktop would be,
    at least as of right now, a very limited niche market.
    I could probably use such (Gentoo can theoretically be
    built on any platform -- including non-Linux variants! --
    once a stage1 setup is available) but few others would.

    A Cell-powered game console might have a better chance,
    but Sony's already got that market, and is fighting for its
    life against a rather better, or at least more well-known,
    offering, Microsoft's XBox 360, and the dominating Nintendo
    Wii. I don't see games being IBM's forte, though.

    No, Wintel won't freeze in hell anytime soon. I'll admit
    I'm not sure what would prevent them from becoming a
    religion lasting 500-1000 years (the Dark Ages, more
    properly known as mediaeval times or the early Middle Ages,
    started at about A.D. 476 and only ended either when the
    climate improved, or the invention of the axe or sword in
    the 11th century. It is typified by disease (The Bubonic
    Plague), starvation, and general stagnation.

    Have we changed all that much as a species in a thousand years?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Breaks Record

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Jerry McBride on Tuesday 10 June 2008 02:01 : \____

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/te...nt&oref=slogin

    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6115...5225&subj=news

    >>> Maybe that's good for video editing/rendering. There's not much that
    >>> requires so much power and can't be shifted to a server (controlled from
    >>> the desktop/terminal). For gaming there's the PS3.
    >>>

    >> It just occurred to me... if IBM were to start selling Cell powered
    >> desktops... it would usher in a new wave of hardware upgrades... the
    >> likes of which you never saw before. Once Average Joe gets a taste of
    >> Cell and Linux... the WINTEL group would begin to freeze in Hell... AMD
    >> too. Seem's to me that IBM has an ace in the hole. The big question is,
    >> why and what are they waiting for?

    > It's absolutely amazing how you are so smart and everyone who works at IBM
    > is so stupid. The CEO of IBM should fire a few thousand people and replace
    > them all with just you, the linux advocate who posts to COLA. Clearly
    > everyone who works at IBM is completely incompetent bordering on retarded
    > because not a single one of the thousands of IBM employees is able to come
    > up with this same "brilliant" idea that took you all of 15-seconds to
    > discover.

    If you insist. But it does make for interesting discussion. Imagine having
    the fastest cpu on earth and not promoting it for common usage. What would
    be driving the decision makers at IBM... right now... for not pushing or at
    the least hawking the Cell for desktops or laptops? Last I read, the Cell
    would make a decent laptop processor too.

    A Cell desktop, running any flavor of Cell aware linux, would be the
    ultimate desktop computer. Imagine... finger click and anything you want
    done on your desktop is done.. Little to no waiting for processes... just
    results. No, Roy. There is a niche market (at the least) that would buy it.
    me being on potential customer.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread