Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer) - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer) - Linux ; http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html -RFH...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

  2. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    On Jun 9, 12:49 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    I have written and said many times that Bill Gates would never allow
    himself or any beloved relative to fly in a plane or undergo a
    hospital operation if the OS in use by the device is Windows.

    -Ramon

  3. Windows and Linux Personal Supercomputing [was Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)]

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html

    The Mac need not apply, above, or below:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c870.html

    The Tesla C870 GPU computing processor transforms a standard workstation
    into a personal supercomputer. With 128 streaming processor cores, the CUDA
    C-language development environment and developer tools, and a range of
    applications already ported, the Tesla C870 enables professionals to develop
    applications faster and solve problems that traditionally required access to
    a shared server cluster.

    Image Courtesy of Evolved Machines.Massively Multi-threaded Processor
    Architecture
    Solve compute problems at your workstation that previously required a large
    cluster

    128 Floating Point Processor Cores
    Achieve up to 350 GFLOPS of performance (512 GFLOPS peak) with one C870 GPU

    Multi-GPU Computing
    Solve large-scale problems by dividing it across multiple GPUs

    Shared Data Memory
    Groups of processor cores can collaborate using shared data

    High Speed, PCI-Express Data Transfer
    Fast and high-bandwidth communication between CPU and GPU

  4. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    On Jun 9, 3:46 pm, "Your message could be here"
    wrote:
    > How come you cannot write?

    You have to be more specific. Are you talking about quantity or
    quality?

    -RFH

  5. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ramon F Herrera

    wrote
    on Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > On Jun 9, 3:46 pm, "Your message could be here"
    > wrote:
    > > How come you cannot write?
    > >

    > You have to be more specific. Are you talking about quantity or
    > quality?
    >
    > -RFH

    Most likely he's talking about Microsoft Word. One can't
    be a writer without Microsoft Word, obviously, though
    one might try to put up counterexamples such as Charles
    Dickens, H. G. Wells, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, and
    of course William Shakespeare, all of whom died before the
    first release of Microsoft Windows. (Ray Bradbury is still
    alive, and Isaac Asimov died in 1992, and therefore either
    one might have used Word. I can't say without more info.)

    One might also include Pythagoras and the unknown author(s)
    of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the council of Nicea, who figure
    prominently in either mathematical circles or biblical ones.

    But none of them ever produced an integrated spreadsheet
    with their book, so they don't count.

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's there and it works.
    Windows. It's there, but does it work?

  6. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html

    I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own supercomputers to run linux.

    I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own PC's to run Windows.

  7. Re: Windows and Linux Personal Supercomputing [was Re: Windows needno apply (world' fastest supercomputer)]

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:30:12 -0500, Lurky wrote:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    d21a5b7fa68c@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

    >> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html

    > The Mac need not apply, ...

    SO what?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >>

    > I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own supercomputers to run linux.
    >
    > I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own PC's to run Windows.

    You might err though. Most COLA "advocates" think a super computer is
    something with more than 256k of Ram. Ask Kelsey.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

  9. Re: Windows and Linux Personal Supercomputing [was Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)]

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:OJadnRmokokvPNDVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:30:12 -0500, Lurky wrote:
    >
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    > d21a5b7fa68c@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html

    >> The Mac need not apply, ...

    > SO what?

    So Linux is being advocated over the Mac.

    What OS are you using, Rick?

  10. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    > On Jun 9, 3:46 pm, "Your message could be here"
    > wrote:
    > > How come you cannot write?
    > >

    > You have to be more specific. Are you talking about quantity or
    > quality?

    He's talking about the title of your post:

    "Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)"

    The "t" is missing from "not" and the "s" is missing from "world's."

  11. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Lurky wrote:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >> On Jun 9, 3:46 pm, "Your message could be here"
    >> wrote:
    >> > How come you cannot write?
    >> >

    >> You have to be more specific. Are you talking about quantity or
    >> quality?

    > He's talking about the title of your post:
    >
    > "Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)"
    >
    > The "t" is missing from "not" and the "s" is missing from "world's."

    OMG I never would have notice that! Thanks!

  12. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera
    wrote:

    >http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >
    >-RFH

    Other than demonstrating a lack of writing skill did you have a point?

  13. Re: Windows and Linux Personal Supercomputing [was Re: Windows needno apply (world' fastest supercomputer)]

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:47:51 -0500, Lurky wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:OJadnRmokokvPNDVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:30:12 -0500, Lurky wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    >> d21a5b7fa68c@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

    >>> The Mac need not apply, ...

    >> SO what?

    > So Linux is being advocated over the Mac.
    >
    > What OS are you using, Rick?

    PCLinuxOS 2007. And I really don't care if Macs are used to build
    supercomputers or not. I tend to think many in COLA do not care.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    Mayor of R'lyeh wrote:

    >On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >>
    >>-RFH

    >Other than demonstrating a lack of writing skill did you have a point?

    Here's my point "Mayor".

    *plonk*

  15. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:50:04 -0500, chrisv
    wrote:

    >Mayor of R'lyeh wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:49:52 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >>>
    >>>-RFH

    >>Other than demonstrating a lack of writing skill did you have a point?

    >Here's my point "Mayor".
    >
    >*plonk*

    Run away, coward, run away!

  16. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    "Ramon F Herrera" schreef in bericht
    > On Jun 9, 12:49 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >>
    >> -RFH

    > I have written and said many times that Bill Gates would never allow
    > himself or any beloved relative to fly in a plane or undergo a
    > hospital operation if the OS in use by the device is Windows.

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  17. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:35:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/f....ap/index.html
    >>>

    >> I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own supercomputers to run linux.
    >>
    >> I tell all of my friends and neighbors who own PC's to run Windows.
    >>

    > You might err though. Most COLA "advocates" think a super computer is
    > something with more than 256k of Ram. Ask Kelsey.

    Hahahaha!

    How true!

    FWIW I don't see anything wrong with running Linux on a supercomputer.
    Next time I see one, I'll make sure to hand the admin a Linux livecd.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  18. Re: Windows and Linux Personal Supercomputing [was Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)]

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:OJadnRWokomkdtDVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:47:51 -0500, Lurky wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:OJadnRmokokvPNDVnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> d21a5b7fa68c@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

    >>> SO what?

    >> So Linux is being advocated over the Mac.
    >>
    >> What OS are you using, Rick?
    >>

    > PCLinuxOS 2007. And I really don't care if Macs are used to build
    > supercomputers or not. I tend to think many in COLA do not care.

    Those who don't care may find other threads that interest them more.

  19. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    "Mayor of R'lyeh" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:50:04 -0500, chrisv
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mayor of R'lyeh wrote:

    >>>Other than demonstrating a lack of writing skill did you have a point?

    >>Here's my point "Mayor".
    >>
    >>*plonk*

    > Run away, coward, run away!

    I thought that "plonk" was a one time thing. I could swear chrisv has
    "plonked" every poster here ten times over, at least!

  20. Re: Windows need no apply (world' fastest supercomputer)

    Lurky/Edwin wrote:

    >"Mayor of R'lyeh" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:50:04 -0500, chrisv
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Here's my point "Mayor".
    >>>
    >>>*plonk*

    >> Run away, coward, run away!

    How does not caring to see your fsckwittery make me a "coward",
    "Mayor"?

    It's not like you and I were arguing about something...

    >I thought that "plonk" was a one time thing.

    Usually is. Sometimes I put a time-limit on them. On rare occasions,
    I will change machines or otherwise clean-out the filters.

    >I could swear chrisv has
    >"plonked" every poster here ten times over, at least!

    To so swear would be a lie. Certainly, your "Edwin" nym has been
    plonked for some time...

    *plonk* "Lurky"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast