[News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues - Linux

  1. [News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

    Acer introduces Aspire one, its first low-cost notebook

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "From now on, Wang said," I call on all key component suppliers to fully
    | support the requirement of all segments, instead of trying to keep certain
    | predefined average selling prices of notebook PCs." "It’s time to listen to
    | the requirements and demands of the market instead of controlling it."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | At just 24 X 17 cm and weighing less than one kilo, Aspire one is equipped
    | with Linpus Linux Lite operating system, designed to get one online in no
    | time at all, with start up and shut down times reduced to the minimum. Its
    | simple, intuitive Linux interface clearly organizes everything one needs in
    | order to surf, work or simply have fun. The pre-installed software is
    | separated by functions and presented in four distinct areas on the screen –
    | Connect, Works, Fun and Files. Moreover, the simplicity continues with the
    | intuitive and specifically optimized software interface that runs Aspire one.
    | For example the specially developed one Mail software application allows the
    | management of up to six separate email accounts in a single window while the
    | Messenger program can simultaneously handle the most popular instant
    | messaging accounts and can be used with the integrated video camera for
    | instant video-chats and video conferences.
    `----

    http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080609126833.html

    Crystal Ball Sunday #4: Linux and System Builders and Integrators

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Welcome to another edition of Crystal Ball Sunday! This week my predictions
    | center around system builders and integrators and their use of Linux to lower
    | costs, standardize hardware offerings, and provide a new systems to buyers
    | that are ready to go to work.
    |
    | Acer has already discussed Linux being the key to the low-cost laptop market.
    | Most major laptop system builders realize that Linux is the key to maximizing
    | usability while minimizing costs. Laptop computer have a short life and
    | buyers just aren't willing to pay huge dollars for them. They are basically
    | seen as throw-away units with a projected life expectancy of 2 to 3 years.
    | The use of Linux will likely extend the life expectancy of hardware that
    | lasts beyond the 3 year mark since its hardware requirements are far less
    | than that of Windows.
    `----

    Last week:

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

    Recent:

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially, Acer had offered only €30 if the man returned elements of the
    | install at his own expense .
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > | Most major laptop system builders realize that Linux is the key to
    > maximizing
    > | usability while minimizing costs. Laptop computer have a short life and
    > | buyers just aren't willing to pay huge dollars for them. They are
    > basically
    > | seen as throw-away units with a projected life expectancy of 2 to 3
    > years.
    > | The use of Linux will likely extend the life expectancy of hardware that
    > | lasts beyond the 3 year mark since its hardware requirements are far
    > less
    > | than that of Windows.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry2573.html
    >

    > Last week:
    >
    > Acer bets big on Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  3. Re: [News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Acer introduces Aspire one, its first low-cost notebook
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "From now on, Wang said," I call on all key component suppliers to fully
    > | support the requirement of all segments, instead of trying to keep
    > | certain predefined average selling prices of notebook PCs." "It?s time
    > | to listen to the requirements and demands of the market instead of
    > | controlling it."

    What the hell is HE trying to say?!!!!!

    That micoshaft has sold them 'control' of the market only
    to find out they don't control it no more and Linux
    is filling the vacuum?

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | At just 24 X 17 cm and weighing less than one kilo, Aspire one is
    > | equipped with Linpus Linux Lite operating system, designed to get one
    > | online in no time at all, with start up and shut down times reduced to
    > | the minimum. Its simple, intuitive Linux interface clearly organizes
    > | everything one needs in order to surf, work or simply have fun. The
    > | pre-installed software is separated by functions and presented in four
    > | distinct areas on the screen ? Connect, Works, Fun and Files. Moreover,
    > | the simplicity continues with the intuitive and specifically optimized
    > | software interface that runs Aspire one. For example the specially
    > | developed one Mail software application allows the management of up to
    > | six separate email accounts in a single window while the Messenger
    > | program can simultaneously handle the most popular instant messaging
    > | accounts and can be used with the integrated video camera for instant
    > | video-chats and video conferences.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080609126833.html

  4. PING Gregory Shearman Re: Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/LinuxLaptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

    On Jun 9, 7:47*am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Acer introduces Aspire one, its first low-cost notebook
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "From now on, Wang said," I call on all key component suppliers to fully
    > | support the requirement of all segments, instead of trying to keep certain
    > | predefined average selling prices of notebook PCs." "Its time to listen to
    > | the requirements and demands of the market instead of controlling it." *
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | At just 24 X 17 cm and weighing less than one kilo, Aspire one is equipped
    > | with Linpus Linux Lite operating system, designed to get one online in no
    > | time at all, with start up and shut down times reduced to the minimum. Its
    > | simple, intuitive Linux interface clearly organizes everything one needsin
    > | order to surf, work or simply have fun. The pre-installed software is
    > | separated by functions and presented in four distinct areas on the screen
    > | Connect, Works, Fun and Files. Moreover, the simplicity continues with the
    > | intuitive and specifically optimized software interface that runs Aspireone.
    > | For example the specially developed one Mail software application allowsthe
    > | management of up to six separate email accounts in a single window whilethe
    > | Messenger program can simultaneously handle the most popular instant
    > | messaging accounts and can be used with the integrated video camera for
    > | instant video-chats and video conferences. * * * * * *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080609126833.html

    You better alert the press that Acer is full of nazi soviet fascists.
    They are offering Linpus Linux Lite only. WITHOUT EVEN ASKING THE
    USERS WHAT THEIR NEEDS ARE!!!!!! ****ing nazis.

  5. Re: [News] Acer Officially Unveils Its GNU/Linux Laptop, Positive Outlook Ensues

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:ZUe3k.6245$E41.6132@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Acer introduces Aspire one, its first low-cost notebook
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "From now on, Wang said," I call on all key component suppliers to
    >> fully
    >> | support the requirement of all segments, instead of trying to keep
    >> | certain predefined average selling prices of notebook PCs." "It?s time
    >> | to listen to the requirements and demands of the market instead of
    >> | controlling it."

    > What the hell is HE trying to say?!!!!!
    >
    > That micoshaft ....................

    been created.