Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS? - Linux ; I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local Network. And, I got.... "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated ...

  1. Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    Network. And, I got....

    "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN
    Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system
    administrator."

    Still can't browse XP shared folders.

    WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will never
    have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that their
    users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work out of the
    box?

    jim

  2. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    jim wrote:

    > Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >
    > WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will
    > never
    > have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that
    > their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work
    > out of the box?

    a) Google for your local Linux Users Group. Join its mailing list.

    b) Google is your friend, in this instance,
    http://www.google.co.uk/linux?hl=en&...G=Search&meta=
    and for future problems with operating GNU/Linux
    http://www.google.com/linux

    c) Are you really sure that GNU/Linux is what you need? Perhaps you lack
    the patience to learn the skill set needed to use it? Or it could be
    that you are a troll.

    --
    Nemo
    "Feather-footed through the plashy fen passes the questing vole"

  3. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:20:01 -0400, jim wrote:

    > I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    > Network. And, I got....
    >
    > "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN
    > Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system
    > administrator."
    >
    > Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >
    > WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will never
    > have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that
    > their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work out
    > of the box?
    >
    > jim

    try to put smb://
    in the location bar and then ... press enter

    and iirc when you start konqueror you get ... a splash screen
    with home folder, network folders, applications,...
    click network folders >> samba shares

  4. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:38:02 +0000, goarilla wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:20:01 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    >> Network. And, I got....
    >>
    >> "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the
    >> LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the
    >> system administrator."
    >>
    >> Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >>
    >> WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will
    >> never have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know
    >> that their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%#
    >> work out of the box?
    >>
    >> jim

    > try to put smb://
    > in the location bar and then ... press enter

    i mean smb:/

  5. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    "goarilla" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:38:02 +0000, goarilla wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:20:01 -0400, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    >>> Network. And, I got....
    >>>
    >>> "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the
    >>> LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the
    >>> system administrator."
    >>>
    >>> Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >>>
    >>> WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will
    >>> never have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know
    >>> that their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%#
    >>> work out of the box?
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> try to put smb://
    >> in the location bar and then ... press enter
    >>

    > i mean smb:/

    Yep. tried that too.... Still nothing.

    I am really hoping that this 3 hour long OpenSuse install will talk to my XP
    boxes "out of the box".

    Supposedly that was one of their strong points for joingin forces with
    Microsoft.

    We'll see if the install ever completes.

    jim

  6. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On 06/09/2008 02:19 PM, jim wrote:
    > Yep. tried that too.... Still nothing.
    >
    > I am really hoping that this 3 hour long OpenSuse install will talk to my XP
    > boxes "out of the box".
    >
    > Supposedly that was one of their strong points for joingin forces with
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > We'll see if the install ever completes.
    >
    > jim

    Try Linux Mint. One of the user-friendliest distros I've ever seen and I
    went through all the popular ones. It's based on Ubuntu, it follows the
    golden "one application per task" rule (although you can install
    anything from the Ubuntu repos) and autoconfigured EVERYTHING on my PC
    where many distros failed. NTFS partitions, shares, sound card - you
    name it.

    http://www.linuxmint.com/

    Best regards,

    Lim-Dul

  7. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:20:01 -0400, jim wrote:

    > WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will never
    > have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that their
    > users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work out of the
    > box?

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

  8. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:19:01 -0400, jim wrote:

    > "goarilla" wrote in message

    >>> try to put smb://
    >>> in the location bar and then ... press enter
    >>>

    >> i mean smb:/

    > Yep. tried that too.... Still nothing.
    >
    > I am really hoping that this 3 hour long OpenSuse install will talk to
    > my XP boxes "out of the box".
    >
    > Supposedly that was one of their strong points for joingin forces with
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > We'll see if the install ever completes.
    >
    > jim

    is your network card working ?

    also try the console programs:
    smbtree, smbclient, nmblookup ...

  9. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    "goarilla" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:19:01 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> "goarilla" wrote in message

    >>> i mean smb:/

    >> Yep. tried that too.... Still nothing.
    >>
    >> I am really hoping that this 3 hour long OpenSuse install will talk to
    >> my XP boxes "out of the box".
    >>
    >> Supposedly that was one of their strong points for joingin forces with
    >> Microsoft.
    >>
    >> We'll see if the install ever completes.
    >>
    >> jim

    > is your network card working ?

    yes. I can surf and email...I just can't see any of the XP Pcs on the
    network.

    > also try the console programs:
    > smbtree, smbclient, nmblookup ...

    I'll give those a shot - right after I get a little sleep......

    Thanks!

    jim

  10. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    jim wrote:
    > "goarilla" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:19:01 -0400, jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> "goarilla" wrote in message

    >>> Yep. tried that too.... Still nothing.
    >>>
    >>> I am really hoping that this 3 hour long OpenSuse install will talk to
    >>> my XP boxes "out of the box".
    >>>
    >>> Supposedly that was one of their strong points for joingin forces with
    >>> Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> We'll see if the install ever completes.
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> is your network card working ?

    > yes. I can surf and email...I just can't see any of the XP Pcs on the
    > network.
    >
    >> also try the console programs:
    >> smbtree, smbclient, nmblookup ...

    > I'll give those a shot - right after I get a little sleep......
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jim

    Have you got the guest account enabled on the XP boxes? Also sharing
    enabled?

    Jim

  11. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    "Jim Dell" wrote in message
    newsXu3k.11304$Ri.3189@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com...
    > jim wrote:
    >> "goarilla" wrote in message

    >>> is your network card working ?

    >> yes. I can surf and email...I just can't see any of the XP Pcs on the
    >> network.
    >>
    >>> also try the console programs:
    >>> smbtree, smbclient, nmblookup ...

    >> I'll give those a shot - right after I get a little sleep......
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jim

    > Have you got the guest account enabled on the XP boxes? Also sharing
    > enabled?
    >
    > Jim

    yes

    jim

  12. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    jim wrote:
    > "Jim Dell" wrote in message
    > newsXu3k.11304$Ri.3189@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com...
    >> jim wrote:
    >>> "goarilla" wrote in message

    >>> yes. I can surf and email...I just can't see any of the XP Pcs on the
    >>> network.

    >>> I'll give those a shot - right after I get a little sleep......
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> Have you got the guest account enabled on the XP boxes? Also sharing
    >> enabled?
    >>
    >> Jim

    > yes
    >
    > jim

    You can configure LISa from the KDE Control Center, keep your root
    password ready.

    Michel

  13. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 02:20:01 -0400, "jim" wrote:

    >I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    >Network. And, I got....
    >
    >"The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN
    >Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system
    >administrator."
    >
    >Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >
    >WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will never
    >have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that their
    >users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work out of the
    >box?

    Now I almost feel bad that I spent my own time to google an answer for your
    problem and point out that it's not hard. You have spent who knows how many
    dozens, propably hundreds times of time that it took from me installing
    different distros and whining about it not working out of the box! Even in
    windows you will have to do certain steps to get it work - and yes, I know,
    have done it on 95, 98, ME and XP. Those steps have no big difference BUT if
    you insist I'd say that in case of Ubuntu the more difficult is windows (and
    ubuntu also installs by default with firewall that you can at least take
    seriously).

    --
    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: robsku@fiveam.NO-SPAM.org, <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**

  14. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    In comp.os.linux jim wrote:
    > I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    > Network. And, I got....
    >
    > "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN
    > Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system
    > administrator."
    >
    > Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >
    > WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will never
    > have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know that their
    > users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%# work out of the
    > box?
    >
    > jim

    Jim

    Preach on... yes, you are correct; but I find the other way around
    annoying too -- Windows XP can't use NIS and NFS "out of the box".
    Worse, compatibility is not built in at all.

    This, of course, forces me to use SAMBA, but I use it from a server
    perspective, not a client. Still, the SMB (or CIFS, what the **** is it
    now?) client browsing is annoying. But the lack of NFS v *anything*
    (2,3,4) support in XP is UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.

    After all, it is a standard supported by every other major OS: HP, IBM,
    SUN, Linux.

    XP doesn't even seem to support automounter maps! Either from NIS or
    LDAP! I am not a Windows guy; how am I to incorporate XP into the
    network?

    But, Linux (most varieties) browsing XP SMB shares isn't pretty (it
    can be done, but it seems painful).

  15. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 04:39:12 +0200, Fred Weigel wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux jim wrote:
    >> I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    >> Network. And, I got....
    >>
    >> "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the
    >> LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the
    >> system administrator."
    >>
    >> Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >>
    >> WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will
    >> never have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know
    >> that their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%#
    >> work out of the box?
    >>
    >> jim
    >>

    > Jim
    >
    > Preach on... yes, you are correct; but I find the other way around
    > annoying too -- Windows XP can't use NIS and NFS "out of the box".
    > Worse, compatibility is not built in at all.
    >
    > This, of course, forces me to use SAMBA, but I use it from a server
    > perspective, not a client. Still, the SMB (or CIFS, what the **** is it
    > now?) client browsing is annoying. But the lack of NFS v *anything*
    > (2,3,4) support in XP is UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.
    >
    > After all, it is a standard supported by every other major OS: HP, IBM,
    > SUN, Linux.
    >
    > XP doesn't even seem to support automounter maps! Either from NIS or
    > LDAP! I am not a Windows guy; how am I to incorporate XP into the
    > network?
    >
    > But, Linux (most varieties) browsing XP SMB shares isn't pretty (it can
    > be done, but it seems painful).

    Bull****!

    Install samba from the installer, make sure the traffic is passing
    through the firewall, configure the service in the GUI telling it the
    domain/workgroup you belong to. Open konjurer and click on "Other
    Networks".

    The EXACT number of steps it requires in XP past SP2.

    Stop making up ****.

  16. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:16:54 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Install samba from the installer, make sure the traffic is passing
    > through the firewall, configure the service in the GUI telling it the
    > domain/workgroup you belong to. Open konjurer and click on "Other
    > Networks".

    Too many steps. Samba does *not* have to be configured.

    Just clicky on the "Network" icon in nautilus, aka "File Browser", in a
    GNOME desktop.

  17. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    In comp.os.linux Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:16:54 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Install samba from the installer, make sure the traffic is passing
    >> through the firewall, configure the service in the GUI telling it the
    >> domain/workgroup you belong to. Open konjurer and click on "Other
    >> Networks".

    > Too many steps. Samba does *not* have to be configured.
    >
    > Just clicky on the "Network" icon in nautilus, aka "File Browser", in a
    > GNOME desktop.

    Ok, let's get down to brassy little tacks... Fedora 8, IBM T43 laptop,
    home network, Windows XP and Windows 98SE.

    I have just installed it, and...

    NOTHING when clicking that marvelous "Network" icon. Oh, you say, you
    have to configure the firewall -- That would be "System"
    "Administration" "Firewall". Now, you COULD disable the firewall, or try
    to pick from (get this, its a CUSTOMIZED firewall configuration!):

    Trusted Services:
    DNS
    FTP
    IMAP over SSL
    IPsec
    Mail (SMTP)
    Multicast DNS
    NFS4
    Network Printing (IPP)
    OpenVPN
    POP-3 over SSL
    RADIUS
    SSH
    Samba
    Secure WWW (HTTPS)
    WWW (HTTP)

    So, now the user has to pick.

    There is no "Help" available here that is useful in the slightest. Yes
    *I* know what to do. Does the original poster? No, he howls. Here. My
    advice? Suck it up, it's NOWHERE close to perfect -- not even good!
    Using the term "customize" wrt to firewall configuration should
    (rightly) scare the piss out of end users.

    It should be task based -- if nothing shows up in the browse screen
    (and, nothing does), there should be some advice there. Maybe even a
    link to the the firewall tool. And that should have enough information
    to open up for Samba browsing...

    Don't shoot the messenger, here.

    My comment was that Windows hassles are EVEN WORSE, from the other
    direction. At least I didn't actually PAY for Fedora 8, and I know what
    I am doing. NIS/NFS/AUTOMOUNT on XP? Simply missing.

  18. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:21:12 +0200, Fred Weigel wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Too many steps. Samba does *not* have to be configured.
    >>
    >> Just clicky on the "Network" icon in nautilus, aka "File Browser", in a
    >> GNOME desktop.
    >>

    > Ok, let's get down to brassy little tacks... Fedora 8, IBM T43 laptop,
    > home network, Windows XP and Windows 98SE.
    >
    > I have just installed it, and...
    >
    > NOTHING when clicking that marvelous "Network" icon. Oh, you say, you
    > have to configure the firewall -- That would be "System"
    > "Administration" "Firewall". Now, you COULD disable the firewall, or try
    > to pick from (get this, its a CUSTOMIZED firewall configuration!):

    You still do not need to configure Samba. And who, at home, is silly
    enough to be running a firewall inside their own LAN? Well, the Windoes
    lusers probably do; they don't know enough to turn the thing off let alone
    kill the damn nag window.

    Slackware and Debian Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenSolaris - none have
    firewalls erected to complicate my life. If I can't trust myself and my
    family I may as well toss the entire lot.

    The firewall is at the Internet side of the OpenBSD firewall.

    ....snip firewall related stuff...

    > My comment was that Windows hassles are EVEN WORSE, from the other
    > direction. At least I didn't actually PAY for Fedora 8, and I know what
    > I am doing. NIS/NFS/AUTOMOUNT on XP? Simply missing.

    On that I agree.

  19. Re: Who is Lisa and what is she doing to PCLinuxOS?

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 04:39:12 +0200, Fred Weigel wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux jim wrote:
    >>> I loaded PCLinuxOS 2007, opened Konquerer, Go > Network Folders > Local
    >>> Network. And, I got....
    >>>
    >>> "The Lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the
    >>> LAN Browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the
    >>> system administrator."
    >>>
    >>> Still can't browse XP shared folders.
    >>>
    >>> WTF? Do Linux distro people REALLY believe that a Linux user will
    >>> never have to browse folders on a Windows network? And, if they know
    >>> that their users will probably have to do so, why doesn't this #@%#
    >>> work out of the box?
    >>>
    >>> jim
    >>>

    >> Jim
    >>
    >> Preach on... yes, you are correct; but I find the other way around
    >> annoying too -- Windows XP can't use NIS and NFS "out of the box".
    >> Worse, compatibility is not built in at all.
    >>
    >> This, of course, forces me to use SAMBA, but I use it from a server
    >> perspective, not a client. Still, the SMB (or CIFS, what the **** is it
    >> now?) client browsing is annoying. But the lack of NFS v *anything*
    >> (2,3,4) support in XP is UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE.
    >>
    >> After all, it is a standard supported by every other major OS: HP, IBM,
    >> SUN, Linux.
    >>
    >> XP doesn't even seem to support automounter maps! Either from NIS or
    >> LDAP! I am not a Windows guy; how am I to incorporate XP into the
    >> network?
    >>
    >> But, Linux (most varieties) browsing XP SMB shares isn't pretty (it can
    >> be done, but it seems painful).

    > Bull****!
    >
    > Install samba from the installer, make sure the traffic is passing
    > through the firewall, configure the service in the GUI telling it the
    > domain/workgroup you belong to. Open konjurer and click on "Other
    > Networks".
    >
    > The EXACT number of steps it requires in XP past SP2.
    >
    > Stop making up ****.

    Samba network browsing works OUT OF THE BOX on openSUSE 10.3.

    /varghese

+ Reply to Thread