Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience - Linux

This is a discussion on Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience - Linux ; Bottom line is it would only install 1 of the 8 server features I selected, and if I use the Add Features wizard I sometimes get stuck in an endless 'reboot is pending' cycle if I try to add/remove server ...

  1. Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    Bottom line is it would only install 1 of the 8 server features I
    selected, and if I use the Add Features wizard I sometimes get stuck in
    an endless 'reboot is pending' cycle if I try to add/remove server
    features.

    1) ordered Server 2008 trial version on DVD

    2) install Server 2008 Standard - truly easy install process
    (closely resembles the Vista process)

    3) final reboot, and it starts up fine

    4) has a minimal look and minimal services/feature set to start with.
    Very snappy and speedy, as Windows always is.

    5) it didn't install any drivers for onboard video or audio. I had no
    printer connected.

    6) it configured Internet connection no problem - browse immediately
    with IE7.

    7) downloaded Firefox, and for a change Thunderbird

    8) left the server roles alone - so it's acting as a standalone desktop
    for now

    9) went to add "Features": chose 8 of the 34 options (things such as
    ..NET 3.0 Framework, BitLocker drive encryption, Quality Windows
    Audio/Video Experience, Windows System Resource Manager, Powershell,
    Windows Internal Database, etc)

    10) it started installing the Features, a screen came up 'Configuring
    updates: Stage N of M - % done', then rebooted and a screen came up that
    says

    "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Do not turn
    off your computer."

    11) Finishes rebooting, but now I can't add or remove any "Features"
    using the Wizard. It says a reboot is pending, then it tries to
    install, then it fails, then it reverts, then it says 'reboot is
    pending' etc.

    12) I did a reboot outside the Wizard, and it rolled things back (again)
    and ended up installing just 1 Feature correctly. Now I'm doing them
    one at a time and thought it was fixed, but BitLocker Drive Encryption
    put me back in the endless reboot cycle, and now I might be able to
    abort it with a Registry hack, but it will literally be easier to just
    do a full reinstall.

    Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

  2. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:22:30 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Bottom line is it would only install 1 of the 8 server features I
    > selected, and if I use the Add Features wizard I sometimes get stuck in
    > an endless 'reboot is pending' cycle if I try to add/remove server
    > features.
    >
    > 1) ordered Server 2008 trial version on DVD
    >
    > 2) install Server 2008 Standard - truly easy install process
    > (closely resembles the Vista process)
    >
    > 3) final reboot, and it starts up fine
    >
    > 4) has a minimal look and minimal services/feature set to start with.
    > Very snappy and speedy, as Windows always is.
    >
    > 5) it didn't install any drivers for onboard video or audio. I had no
    > printer connected.
    >
    > 6) it configured Internet connection no problem - browse immediately
    > with IE7.
    >
    > 7) downloaded Firefox, and for a change Thunderbird
    >
    > 8) left the server roles alone - so it's acting as a standalone desktop
    > for now
    >
    > 9) went to add "Features": chose 8 of the 34 options (things such as
    > .NET 3.0 Framework, BitLocker drive encryption, Quality Windows
    > Audio/Video Experience, Windows System Resource Manager, Powershell,
    > Windows Internal Database, etc)
    >
    > 10) it started installing the Features, a screen came up 'Configuring
    > updates: Stage N of M - % done', then rebooted and a screen came up that
    > says
    >
    > "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Do not turn
    > off your computer."
    >
    > 11) Finishes rebooting, but now I can't add or remove any "Features"
    > using the Wizard. It says a reboot is pending, then it tries to
    > install, then it fails, then it reverts, then it says 'reboot is
    > pending' etc.
    >
    > 12) I did a reboot outside the Wizard, and it rolled things back (again)
    > and ended up installing just 1 Feature correctly. Now I'm doing them
    > one at a time and thought it was fixed, but BitLocker Drive Encryption
    > put me back in the endless reboot cycle, and now I might be able to
    > abort it with a Registry hack, but it will literally be easier to just
    > do a full reinstall.
    >
    > Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    Does Winserver2008 contain any Vista code?

    If so it looks like Microsoft has incorporated some of that *great* Vista
    code into WinServer 2008.

    The one point the Linonuts make that is actually reasonable is that Vista
    is truly a mess.
    I've said it from the release day and will continue to say it.

    The problem is that for most people Linux is actually worse which is why
    people pay for Vista rather than run Linux for free.

    I've advised all my friends to stick with XP and AFA the professional audio
    community is concerned Vista is a non contender.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:22:30 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    > Does Winserver2008 contain any Vista code?

    It uses the same kernel as Vista SP1. Server 2008 is a slick piece of
    work - but these install hassles are just ridiculous.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc194386.aspx

    > If so it looks like Microsoft has incorporated some of that *great* Vista
    > code into WinServer 2008.

    Probably a lot of code, but I haven't had these kind of problems with Vista.

    > The one point the Linonuts make that is actually reasonable is that Vista
    > is truly a mess.

    Specifically?

  4. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    DFS wrote:

    > Bottom line is

    You should delete WINDUMMY software from all your PCs and
    install Linux everywhere.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    > 4) has a minimal look and minimal services/feature set to start with.
    > Very snappy and speedy, as Windows always is.

    Liar.

    PISTIFICATION of laptops leads to speed loss.
    PISTA took 45 minutes to copy from CD to laptop HD
    1600 files 603Mb.

    Under Knoppix, it dd out the entire drive through network of some
    40Gb for less time than that.

    The guy now wants to buy a second laptop so that
    he can convert himself to Linux.

    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

  5. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    It happens.

    Thanks for this touching moment of honesty.

    (I'm still in the same slrn session, so I still your "stuff".)

    --
    Does the e-mail say it's about 'enlargement' -- that might be spam.
    -- Bill Gates, BBC News (24 January 2004)

  6. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    > It happens.

    Sure, but too often with MS' own code. Server 2003 SP2 wouldn't install for
    me, either.

    I wouldn't be hot and bothered if they would say exactly what causes the
    failure. My guess is one of the "Features" is depending on a service that I
    shutdown, or maybe BitLocker requires an activated OS. But they're big
    boys - they should be resolving those dependencies before going ahead with
    the install.

    > Thanks for this touching moment of honesty.

    Well, I would have ragged on Linux for the same thing.

    In the end I didn't want to fight the "Add Feature Wizard" junk so I
    reinstalled. Since its a 120-day trial DVD and no product key or activation
    is required, the next time I went with Server 2008 DataCenter Edition. If
    there's a visual diff from Standard (besides the word DataCenter at various
    places), they're not telling. I did notice a 35th Feature but it wasn't
    identified as unique to DC.

    > (I'm still in the same slrn session, so I still your "stuff".)

    So you're still willing to learn...

  7. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> (I'm still in the same slrn session, so I still your "stuff".)

    > So you're still willing to learn...

    Always. But there's too much chaff involved.

    So we're at this party, and they're roasting this guy who is retiring.
    The dude running the slide show is a grad student, but he really had a
    lot of trouble dealing with PowerPoint to get the "slides" to show at
    the proper size on the projection screen.

    Anyway, it came time for one guy's presentation, which as a video/audio
    movie he had put together. Generally did a good job, though it went on
    too long.

    Here's the kicker. Every few seconds the audio and video would freeze.
    Almost like clockwork. Nobody commented on it, other than my muted wise
    crack: "Way ta go, Microsoft!"

    I suspect the fellow's laptop had a virus/zombie consuming some CPU
    time.

    Buh bye.

    --
    If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't
    have tenure.

  8. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with Microsoft's typical slopwareexperience

    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    To Hell with the error ... check out that desktop! It's like a time warp
    back to the days of twm.

    DooFy I know you love Rick Astley and David Hasselhoff, but the 80's are
    over. Deal with it.

    > It happens.
    >
    > Thanks for this touching moment of honesty.

    I don't want to know what DooFy is touching.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:33:33 up 171 days, 21:09, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.14

  9. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    > To Hell with the error ... check out that desktop! It's like a time
    > warp back to the days of twm.

    You can't win with a Linux luser:

    * show him a simple Winserver desktop and he jeers "check out that simple
    desktop!"
    * show him a pretty Winserver desktop and he jeers "why does a server need a
    desktop?!"

  10. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with Microsoft's typical slopware experience

    Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    > To Hell with the error ... check out that desktop! It's like a time warp
    > back to the days of twm.

    Uhh... I still use twm on a LOT of servers... Works well for the intended
    usage.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with a slopware experience

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:49:09 -0400
    :
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >>> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> To Hell with the error ... check out that desktop! It's like a time
    >> warp back to the days of twm.

    > You can't win with a Linux luser:
    >
    > * show him a simple Winserver desktop and he jeers
    > "check out that simple desktop!"
    > * show him a pretty Winserver desktop and he jeers
    > "why does a server need a desktop?!"

    What is a desktop?

    Servers of course have plenty of RAM and disk space;
    therefore a desktop is a useful add-on, especially with
    the big applications placed thereon. In short, instead
    of a simple web service system, which might have been a
    few kB per request, requests are now a few *MB*, spread
    over multiple request/response transactions, and the space
    taken by a desktop is more justifiable.

    Plus, despite more standard methods, rdesktop continues to
    be a reliable, secure connection method (at least, as far
    as I know) to gain access to a server desktop, allowing
    easy GUI-based configuration tools to be run.

    Of course that's more memory needed -- but wotthehell; it's cheap.

    At least, that's the theory; the practice may be more
    complicated, especially if the server tries some sort
    of predictive paging. But Linux implements an rdesktop
    client, which shoots the vendor lock argument straight
    out the window and into the dustbin.

    (Until Microsoft revs its variant, anyway.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  12. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with Microsoft's typical slopware experience

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Pretty much a waste of time slopware experience.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...8_slopware.png

    > To Hell with the error ... check out that desktop! It's like a time warp
    > back to the days of twm.
    >
    > DooFy I know you love Rick Astley and David Hasselhoff, but the 80's are
    > over. Deal with it.

    Actually, this is more DFS's style:

    http://www.cootersplace.com/

    REDNECK BOY IN THE PROMISED LAND
    The Confessions of "Crazy Cooter"
    By Ben Jones

    "When I was growing up in Georgia, 'Cooter' was one of
    my heroes. I'm not sure but I think it was required by law. Who
    would have thought that one day I would actually come to know Ben
    Jones and, in knowing him, find that he remains one of my heroes! Ben
    Jones is nothing less than a great American."
    -- Jeff Foxworthy

    --
    We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be.
    -- Bill Gates

  13. Re: Win Server 2008: let me down with Microsoft's typical slopware experience

    Linonut wrote:

    > Actually, this is more DFS's style:
    >
    > http://www.cootersplace.com/
    >
    > REDNECK BOY IN THE PROMISED LAND
    > The Confessions of "Crazy Cooter"
    > By Ben Jones

    Here's your favorite submissive man hangout:
    http://www.femdomromance.com/emotion...els_a_failure/

    "She enjoys hurting me and I just melt when I see a certain look in her
    eyes. I whimper; she laughs."

+ Reply to Thread