[News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based - Linux

  1. [News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based

    Thecus has eight- bay NAS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
    | every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
    | just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
    | 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...hecus-bay-nass

    Recent:

    Linux-based NAS stores 2TB

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | LaCie has shipped a dual-disk, 2TB version of its Linux-based network
    | attached storage (NAS) appliance. The latest "2big Network" device runs an
    | in-house version of Linux called LaCix, and can act as a small business
    | server for FTP, backup, and file-sharing. *
    `----

    Related:

    Linux-based NAS expands to four bays

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Qnap Systems introduced a four-bay version of its Linux-based line of
    | multifunction NAS (network-attached storage) devices. The TS-409 Pro Turbo
    | NAS offers a hot-swappable HDD design, RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 6/ 5+ support, and
    | online RAID capacity expansion and level migration, says Qnap. *
    `----

    Small Linux-powered NAS device attracts a community

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you have difficulties finding Raidsonic products in your country, the
    | Taiwanese maker Macpower offers a product called Taurus LAN which is
    | hardware-identical to the described IcyBox. *
    `----

    http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=514

    Pogo Linux Announces Enterprise-Grade NAS Appliance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Pogo Linux has released their most versatile and advanced storage
    | device to date, the StorageDirector 3000 series network attached
    | storage (NAS) appliance.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/h...-nas-appliance
    http://tinyurl.com/2f83mz

    REVIEW: Iomega StorCenter Pro 150d

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Active Directory integration intrigued me because Iomega made a
    | big point out of the fact that this is brainless, even though the
    | StorCenter Pro 150d is based on Linux firmware.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/ar..._iomega_s.html

    LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID 2TB entry-level NAS box

    ,----[ Quote]
    | Review Two terabytes of network-attached storage SATA-based RAID
    | storage and an iSCSI desktop disaster recovery platform all within
    | one small compact unit for under £900?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This is bundled with an non-upgradeable 256MB of DDR SDRAM for memory
    | and an OS based around a Linux 2.6 kernel co-developed by FalconStor -a
    | company with a good history in storage.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01...net_disk_raid/

    Linksys Dual Bay NAS Drive has a Hackable Linux OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Linksys debuted its entry-level NAS drive at CES tonight. And, since
    | it's built on a Linux OS like their infamous Linux based router,
    | it'll be hackable, too.
    `----

    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/perip...-os-226783.php
    http://tinyurl.com/ykuqkj

    Fast five-drive NAS box fills more storage gaps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last up, one pat on the back to Thecus. All of their devices run Linux,
    | and Thecus is being a very good corporate citizens about their use of
    | GPL'd code. Normally, you only hear about people violating the GPL or
    | have to search their site for a buried link to the source.
    |
    | With Thecus, the opposite is true. They put the code on their main
    | page, usually right next to the firmware updates themselves. I actually
    | saw the code before I realized what it was, quite an unusual situation.
    | It was a case of me scratching my head wondering what the .GPL extension
    | was before it dawned on me. Again well done.
    `----

    Linux-powered NAS device does 90TB on 20 Amps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Infrant is shipping a pair of network-attached storage (NAS) devices
    | that run Linux and target low-power, high-density storage
    | applications.
    `----

    Free open-source storage software attracts users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source storage software is available to address a number of user
    | needs, attracting tens of thousands of users who are turning to open
    | source to avoid pricey proprietary products
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...pid;1968336438

    NEC's NAS redefines 'revolutionary'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The device runs open source NAS software, is compatible with Microsoft
    | Active Directory, and has two Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also has twoU
    | SB2 ports to connect external storage devices such as hard disks, DVD
    | recorders and USB sticks.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...revolving_nas/

  2. Re: [News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Thecus has eight- bay NAS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
    >| every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
    >| just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
    >| 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...hecus-bay-nass

    I've already got 1.5TB on my mythtv box, and I suspect that I'll be
    needing some more...

  3. Re: [News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:57:47 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Thecus has eight- bay NAS
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
    >>| every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
    >>| just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
    >>| 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...hecus-bay-nass
    >>

    > I've already got 1.5TB on my mythtv box, and I suspect that I'll be
    > needing some more...

    You must be an even bigger idiot than I first thought if you watch TV that
    much.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based

+ Reply to Thread