Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body - Linux

This is a discussion on Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body - Linux ; http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...eiser-off.html Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body By David Kravets EmailJune 06, 2008 | 5:31:27 PMCategories: Hans Reiser Trial Reiser_250x_2 Hans Reiser, the Linux programmer facing a mandatory 25-to life term for killing his wife, might disclose ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 153

  1. Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...eiser-off.html

    Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body
    By David Kravets EmailJune 06, 2008 | 5:31:27 PMCategories: Hans Reiser Trial
    Reiser_250x_2

    Hans Reiser, the Linux programmer facing a mandatory 25-to life term for
    killing his wife, might disclose the location of Nina Reiser's body in
    exchange for a reduced term, Alameda County District Attorney Thomas Orloff
    told Threat Level on Friday.

    "There's been some overtures," he said. "But everything is in its preliminary
    stage."

    Another source familiar with the proposal, speaking on condition of anonymity
    because no deal has been struck, said Reiser, the prosecution and Alameda
    County Superior Court Judge Larry Goodman would have to sign off on the
    proposed deal. Under the plan, Reiser's cooperation could reduce his April
    conviction from first-degree murder to second degree. A second-degree
    conviction in California carries a mandatory 15-to-life sentence.

    "The only real leverage he has is if he can provide a body," the source said.
    "He really doesn't have any options left. Even if he won a retrial somehow,
    he'd likely be convicted."

    Reiser, 44, was convicted by an Alameda County Superior Court jury of killing
    his wife, who was last seen at his Oakland hills house on Sept. 3, 2006. She
    dropped off the divorcing couple's two kids to stay with their father for part
    of the Labor Day weekend.

    During his 11 appearances on the witness stand, the defendant claimed his
    31-year-old wife abandoned the estranged couple's two young children and moved
    back to Russia.

    The couple met there in 1998, when he was overseas hiring programmers for his
    Namesys software company that produced the ReiserFS filesystem. He testified
    that, before she vanished, he accused her of bilking the company out of tens
    of thousands of dollars.

    The deal, as it stands in its early stages, would be off if an autopsy of the
    body somehow demonstrated that it was first-degree, premeditated murder with,
    for example, "two bullet holes to the back of the head."

    The source also cautioned that it remains to be seen whether Reiser would
    follow through with the proposal.

    Reiser remains jailed without bail. His sentencing is scheduled for July 9.

    "There are ongoing discussions," the source said.

    Reiser stands a greater chance of seeing the light of day under a
    second-degree conviction. He would be eligible for parole in 15 years and
    would stand a better chance at receiving it if he disclosed a body.

    Under California law, the governor possesses the power to veto a parole
    board's decision. Denying culpability is a strong mark against winning parole.

    Before trial began in November, Reiser declined a deal with prosecutors in
    which he would have received an 11-year term in exchange to pleading guilty to
    manslaughter and disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body.

    On a side note, for Reiser to disclose the body might bring some element of
    closure to his two children, a boy now 8 and a girl 6. They live with Nina's
    parents in St. Petersburg, Russia.

    The boy, in letters to his father last year, asked his dad why he "hid" his
    mother.

  2. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    wrote in message news:g2h4qb02q4g@news3.newsguy.com...
> [...]
    > would stand a better chance at receiving it if he disclosed a body.
    >
    > Under California law, the governor possesses the power to veto a parole
    > board's decision. Denying culpability is a strong mark against winning
    > parole.
    >
    > Before trial began in November, Reiser declined a deal with prosecutors in
    > which he would have received an 11-year term in exchange to pleading
    > guilty to
    > manslaughter and disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body.
    >
    > On a side note, for Reiser to disclose the body might bring some element
    > of
    > closure to his two children, a boy now 8 and a girl 6. They live with
    > Nina's
    > parents in St. Petersburg, Russia.
    >
    > The boy, in letters to his father last year, asked his dad why he "hid"

    Thanks for finding this. I'd heard there were talks in the works, it was
    mentioned at the end of a program I saw last week on this case.

    td

  3. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    "tiny dancer" writes:

> [...]
    >> parole.
    >>
    >> Before trial began in November, Reiser declined a deal with prosecutors in
    >> which he would have received an 11-year term in exchange to pleading
    >> guilty to
    >> manslaughter and disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body.
    >>
    >> On a side note, for Reiser to disclose the body might bring some element
    >> of
    >> closure to his two children, a boy now 8 and a girl 6. They live with
    >> Nina's
    >> parents in St. Petersburg, Russia.
    >>
    >> The boy, in letters to his father last year, asked his dad why he "hid"
    >> his
    >> mother.

    > Thanks for finding this. I'd heard there were talks in the works, it was
    > mentioned at the end of a program I saw last week on this case.

    Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is not
    guilty. Only in COLA.

  4. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    On Jun 8, 1:27*pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Reiser stands a greater chance of seeing the light of day under a
    > second-degree conviction. He would be eligible for parole in 15 years and
    > would stand a better chance at receiving it if he disclosed a body.
    >
    > Under California law, the governor possesses the power to veto a parole
    > board's decision. Denying culpability is a strong mark against winning parole.
    >
    > Before trial began in November, Reiser declined a deal with prosecutors in
    > which he would have received an 11-year term in exchange to pleading guilty to
    > manslaughter and disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body.
    >
    > On a side note, for Reiser to disclose the body might bring some element of
    > closure to his two children, a boy now 8 and a girl 6. They live with Nina's
    > parents in St. Petersburg, Russia.
    >
    > The boy, in letters to his father last year, asked his dad why he "hid" his

    Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    makes sense to somebody somewhere.
    yD

  5. Re: Blammer Offers To Lead Cops to Body

    micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer me@privacy.net wrote on behalf of Half
    Wits from Micoshaft Corporation:

    Micoshaft Corporation's Blammer has threatened to kill Eric Schmidt.

    Disturbingly, he has claimed he's done it before and he'll do it again.

    Has anyone arrested Blammer to discover where the bodies are?

  6. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    In article ,
    yD wrote:
    >On Jun 8, 1:27*pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
    >> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...eiser-off.html
    >>

    >Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    >giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    >makes sense to somebody somewhere.

    The victim's family, strangely enough.

    --bks

  7. Re: Blammer Offers To Lead Cops to Body

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:lPV2k.5674$E41.5606@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    > micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer me@privacy.net wrote on behalf of
    > Half
    > Wits from Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Micoshaft Corporation's Blammer

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  8. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:21:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> [...]
    >>> winning parole.
    >>>
    >>> Before trial began in November, Reiser declined a deal with
    >>> prosecutors in which he would have received an 11-year term in
    >>> exchange to pleading guilty to
    >>> manslaughter and disclosing the location of Nina Reiser's body.
    >>>
    >>> On a side note, for Reiser to disclose the body might bring some
    >>> element of
    >>> closure to his two children, a boy now 8 and a girl 6. They live with
    >>> Nina's
    >>> parents in St. Petersburg, Russia.
    >>>
    >>> The boy, in letters to his father last year, asked his dad why he
    >>> "hid" his
    >>> mother.

    >> Thanks for finding this. I'd heard there were talks in the works, it
    >> was mentioned at the end of a program I saw last week on this case.
    >>

    > Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is not guilty.

    I have not seen anyone in COLA assuring anyone he is not guilty.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    Rick wrote:

    >> Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is
    >> not guilty. Only in COLA.

    > I have not seen anyone in COLA assuring anyone he is not
    > guilty.

    Oh, Hadron is performing another demonstration that he is here to
    troll and flame bait.

    I've used the Reiser disk format before, worked fine. Currently
    am using Ext3 as it is more standardised. I don't know why
    Hadron would associate some advocates using the Reiser disk
    format as reflections of supporting a crime that was committed.

    Details have been sketchy and it is best to let the issues be
    resolved with the legal system.

    Only issue Hadron has is with Linux advocacy.

    --
    HPT

  10. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    Rick and Spamowitz must be devastated.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:21:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Thanks for finding this. I'd heard there were talks in the works, it was
    >>> mentioned at the end of a program I saw last week on this case.
    >>>

    >> Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is not
    >> guilty. Only in COLA.

    > Rick and Spamowitz must be devastated.

    Didn't Kelsey Petrocelli also bring up a good defence with lots of big
    headed formatting and talking down? She usually does.

  12. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    "Bradley K. Sherman" wrote in message
    > In article
    > ,
    > yD wrote:
    >>On Jun 8, 1:27 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
    >>> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...eiser-off.html
    >>>

    >>Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    >>giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    >>makes sense to somebody somewhere.

    > The victim's family, strangely enough.

    Perhaps, but do you think the prosecutors actually rang up her parents to
    ask them? They want to do this deal to foreclose any appeals or retrials.

    Seems to me like a bad idea, I'm with yD on this one. Though no practical
    difference (he'll never get parole), let the jury's verdict stand and send
    him away. Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not.

  13. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    I believe it was either Kelsey or kent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:16:38 +0000 (UTC), Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

    > In article ,
    > yD wrote:
    >>On Jun 8, 1:27*pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
    >>> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...eiser-off.html
    >>>

    >>Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    >>giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    >>makes sense to somebody somewhere.

    > The victim's family, strangely enough.
    >
    > --bks

    It's known as closure for the victims family.
    Obviously you have no clue.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    Bo Raxo wrote:
    >"Bradley K. Sherman" wrote in message
    >> yD wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    >>>giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    >>>makes sense to somebody somewhere.

    >> The victim's family, strangely enough.
    >>

    >Perhaps, but do you think the prosecutors actually rang up her parents to
    >ask them?

    No. Nor did I mean to imply that. Nonetheless, closure is not a
    negligible concern for friends and family.

    --bks

  16. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    "Bo Raxo" wrote in message

    > "Bradley K. Sherman" wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >> yD wrote:
    >>>>

    >>>Interesting that he gets a lesser charge and lesser sentence for
    >>>giving up the body plus a better chance of parole. I suppose that
    >>>makes sense to somebody somewhere.

    >> The victim's family, strangely enough.
    >>

    > Perhaps, but do you think the prosecutors actually rang up her parents to
    > ask them? They want to do this deal to foreclose any appeals or retrials.
    >
    > Seems to me like a bad idea, I'm with yD on this one. Though no practical
    > difference (he'll never get parole), let the jury's verdict stand and send
    > him away. Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    > found some day, maybe not.

    I would assume her children might like to know where their mother is and
    have a place to *visit* her. It's difficult enough to explain death to
    children. I would imagine they are devastated enough knowing their father
    killed their mother. The fact that he won't tell them where she is must
    only hurt more. They are oblivious to any sort of deals, they simply want
    to know where she is. From what I'd read on this case, it seemed it was
    their mother who stood up for/protected them from lots of Reisers nuttiness.

    td

  17. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:30:18 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >> Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is not
    >> guilty. Only in COLA.

    > I have not seen anyone in COLA assuring anyone he is not guilty.

    I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he
    should be punished as the law requires. This is no different than any
    other crime or any other person.

    If it was Linus or Ballmer that was accused of the same crime, I would
    expect no different.

  18. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    **** you, you lying bitch.

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    Rick wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:59:10 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:21:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Interestingly certain COLA "advocates" have assured us he is not
    >>> guilty. Only in COLA.

    >> Rick and Spamowitz must be devastated.

    > **** you, you lying bitch.

    What's wrong, (p)Rick? Were you defending the innocence of Hans "The
    Linux Butcher" Reiser, and now that he's about to give up the body
    you're embarrassed at being an idiot?

  20. Re: Hans Reiser Offers To Lead Cops to Nina's Body

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:40:47 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Rick and Spamowitz must be devastated.

    >> **** you, you lying bitch.

    > What's wrong, (p)Rick? Were you defending the innocence of Hans "The
    > Linux Butcher" Reiser, and now that he's about to give up the body
    > you're embarrassed at being an idiot?

    Rick doesn't like to be proved wrong with facts.
    It gets him all wound up.

    I will say this, that if I ever kill anyone, which is highly unlikely since
    I am pretty much a pacifist, I want Rick on my jury!