Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esquePatent - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esquePatent - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > | Microsoft's brainwave is called Device Manners Policy (DMP) and it > | could ensure that if a sign says "No photography allowe", then your > | camera or ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esquePatent

    > | Microsoft's brainwave is called Device Manners Policy (DMP) and it
    > | could ensure that if a sign says "No photography allowe", then your
    > | camera or your phone's camera won't work. DMP could also be used to
    > | block phones from receiving incoming calls during a meeting.
    > `----

    I can see the criminals having a field day with that:

    Wife: Honey, I think someone is trying to break into the house.
    Husband: Call the police. I'll go downstairs. [picks up baseball bat]
    Wife: The phone's asking for a PIN number?!?!
    Husband: Turn on the CCTV monitor to see what's happening.
    Wife: It says "Restricted content. Please obtain a license".

    I bet the prophet Muhammed Gates dreamt up /that/ "brilliant" idea.
    Certainly the /name/ sounds stupid enough to be one of his.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:35:32 up 170 days, 1:11, 6 users, load average: 0.02, 0.14, 0.13

  2. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esque Patent

    On Jun 8, 3:35 pm, Homer wrote:

    > I bet the prophet Muhammed Gates dreamt up /that/ "brilliant" idea.
    > Certainly the /name/ sounds stupid enough to be one of his.

    I can imgine an emergency ward:

    Doctor - set up the de-fribulator.

    Nurse - I can't. It is not permitted to be used in this ward, shall I
    wheel the patient into the street?

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esque Patent

    Homer espoused:

    >> | Microsoft's brainwave is called Device Manners Policy (DMP) and it
    >> | could ensure that if a sign says "No photography allowe", then your
    >> | camera or your phone's camera won't work. DMP could also be used to
    >> | block phones from receiving incoming calls during a meeting.
    >> `----

    > I can see the criminals having a field day with that:
    >
    > Wife: Honey, I think someone is trying to break into the house.
    > Husband: Call the police. I'll go downstairs. [picks up baseball bat]
    > Wife: The phone's asking for a PIN number?!?!
    > Husband: Turn on the CCTV monitor to see what's happening.
    > Wife: It says "Restricted content. Please obtain a license".
    >
    > I bet the prophet Muhammed Gates dreamt up /that/ "brilliant" idea.
    > Certainly the /name/ sounds stupid enough to be one of his.

    This sums up the whole philosophy gap between Microsoft and Web 2.0:

    Microsoft: Stop people doing what they want to, put 3rd parties in
    charge

    Web 2.0: Encourage people to wrap services into any mashup which suits
    their own purposes - allow them to be in charge.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Applies for "New World Order"-esque Patent

    "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks