FLOSSInclude, a European project to foster open source international
collaboration

,----[ Quote ]
| FLOSS is arguably one of the best examples of open, collaborative,
| internationally distributed production and development that exists today.
| With partners around the globe, the FLOSSInclude project will develop a
| roadmap for international cooperation to realise the potential of FLOSS as a
| tool for social and economic development.
|
| Free/Libre/Open Source Software (FLOSS) holds great potential for developing
| countries. FLOSS uses open standards, avoiding lock-in and allowing for
| flexible solutions. Programs can easily be translated into local languages.
| The international developers' community acts as a free-of-charge training
| environment.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/flossinclude008

A Technological Singularity: What are the Implications for Free Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Human beings are conservative with a small c. Managing change is stressful at
| the best of times and coping with the exponential changes wrought by a
| Singularity may generate forces that are potentially destructive and may
| create paradigms that simply obliterate conventional software models and blur
| distinctions between free and proprietary software. Even if talk of a/the
| singularity is strictly nerd rapture it helps to focus on the here and now as
| well as the unknowable future(s). The price of freedom is, as the saying has
| it, eternal vigilance and right now in the digital realm it is people like
| Richard Stallman, Eben Moglen, Laurence Lessig and the Free Software
| Foundation (FSF) and similar people and bodies that are the ones really at
| the front of the march carrying the banners for freedom and privacy. It isn’t
| turtles all the way down. It’s politics. You can be as insularly techy as you
| want, but take your eye off the larger picture even for an instant and you
| might be waking up to a future. Your future. Owned by someone else. The
| future’s not set. There’s no fate but what we make for ourselves.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._free_software

Recent:

French National Assembly switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687