Comparison - Linux

This is a discussion on Comparison - Linux ; At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles ...

  1. Comparison

    At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry
    with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology
    like
    the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars
    that
    got 1000 miles to the gallon."

    Welch himself):

    If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would be driving cars
    with
    the following characteristics:

    1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

    2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy
    new car.

    3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you
    would just accept this, restart and drive on.

    4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause
    your
    car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to
    reinstall the engine.

    5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought
    "Car95" or
    "CarNT." But then you have would have to buy more seats.

    6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five
    times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five
    percent of the roads.

    7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be
    replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

    8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

    9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

    10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
    and
    refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle,
    turned
    the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

    11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand
    McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need
    them
    nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause
    the
    car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a
    target for investigation by the Justice Department.

    12. Every time GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn
    how
    to drive all over again because none the controls would operate in the
    same
    manner as the old car.

  2. Re: Comparison

    "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    > At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry
    > with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology
    > like
    > the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars
    > that
    > got 1000 miles to the gallon."

    > Welch himself):

    If GM issued this press release (by Mr. Welch himself) then you should be
    able to show a link to this official press release. A link to the real
    press release and not some blog entry from a lying troll like you.

  3. Re: Comparison

    Well that's the first time I've seen THAT joke...

    ....this decade...

  4. Re: Comparison

    On 07 Jun 2008 15:08:13 GMT, Jag Chan wrote:

    > At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry
    > with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology
    > like
    > the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars
    > that
    > got 1000 miles to the gallon."

    > Welch himself):

    How about a link other than a loony blog to substantiate your statement.
    Don't pull a Schestowitz here!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Comparison

    Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:

    > Well that's the first time I've seen THAT joke...
    >

    > ...this decade...

    Here's something fresher, if a touch far-side:

    DOJ: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    Gates: Define "chicken".

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:52:48 up 170 days, 1:28, 6 users, load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.08

  6. Re: Comparison

    ____/ Homer on Sunday 08 June 2008 04:53 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:
    >
    >> Well that's the first time I've seen THAT joke...
    >>

    >> ...this decade...

    > Here's something fresher, if a touch far-side:
    >
    > DOJ: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    > Gates: Define "chicken".

    Heh.

    DOJ: When did you bribe this government to can its Linux migration plan?
    Gates: Define "bribe". I only do "charity".

    Gates deposition videos

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/w..._depositio.php

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
    the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."
    --Bill Gates, Microsoft
    Tasks: 157 total, 1 running, 156 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: Comparison

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > ____/ Homer on Sunday 08 June 2008 04:53 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Well that's the first time I've seen THAT joke...
    >>>

    >>> ...this decade...

    >> Here's something fresher, if a touch far-side:
    >>
    >> DOJ: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    >> Gates: Define "chicken".

    > Heh.
    >
    > DOJ: When did you bribe this government to can its Linux migration plan?
    > Gates: Define "bribe". I only do "charity".
    >

    > Gates deposition videos

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  8. Re: Comparison

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:28:29 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    >> At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer
    >> industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with
    >> technology like
    >> the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars
    >> that
    >> got 1000 miles to the gallon."

    >> Mr. Welch himself):

    > If GM issued this press release (by Mr. Welch himself) then you should
    > be able to show a link to this official press release. A link to the
    > real press release and not some blog entry from a lying troll like you.

    So the joke, yes it was a joke from around 1999, and because it shows
    attitudes to Microsoft (not really changed much) that deride it, you feel
    you have to call somebody a Lying troll. Go do something useful like
    cleaning the white lines on a motorway.

    Jem..

  9. Re: Comparison

    On 08 Jun 2008 16:20:55 GMT, Jeremy Fisher wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:28:29 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Jag Chan" wrote in message
    >>> At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer
    >>> industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with
    >>> technology like
    >>> the computer industry has, we would be driving twenty-five dollar cars
    >>> that
    >>> got 1000 miles to the gallon."

    >>> Mr. Welch himself):

    >> If GM issued this press release (by Mr. Welch himself) then you should
    >> be able to show a link to this official press release. A link to the
    >> real press release and not some blog entry from a lying troll like you.
    >>

    > So the joke, yes it was a joke from around 1999, and because it shows
    > attitudes to Microsoft (not really changed much)

    Much like the Linux desktop market share hasn't changed much in 16 years.
    Still sitting at 0.6 percent.

    > that deride it, you feel
    > you have to call somebody a Lying troll. Go do something useful like
    > cleaning the white lines on a motorway.
    >
    > Jem..

    Is that what you do for a living?
    Must be tough.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Comparison

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:51:09 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On 08 Jun 2008 16:20:55 GMT, Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:28:29 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jag Chan" wrote in message

    >>> If GM issued this press release (by Mr. Welch himself) then you should
    >>> be able to show a link to this official press release. A link to the
    >>> real press release and not some blog entry from a lying troll like
    >>> you.
    >>>

    >> So the joke, yes it was a joke from around 1999, and because it shows
    >> attitudes to Microsoft (not really changed much)

    > Much like the Linux desktop market share hasn't changed much in 16
    > years. Still sitting at 0.6 percent.

    By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last
    year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

    (snip).68

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Comparison

    "Rick" stated in post
    Vs6dnbG5LZy-odHVnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/8/08 1:08 PM:

    >> Much like the Linux desktop market share hasn't changed much in 16
    >> years. Still sitting at 0.6 percent.

    > By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    > moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last
    > year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

    Lots of wiggle room in that less than 1% range, eh? LOL!

    --
    Look, this is silly. It's not an argument, it's an armor plated walrus with
    walnut paneling and an all leather interior.

  12. Re: Comparison

    Rick wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:51:09 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> Much like the Linux desktop market share hasn't changed much in 16
    >> years. Still sitting at 0.6 percent.

    > By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    > moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the
    > last year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

    That's 'cause you're an innumerate idiot.

  13. Re: Comparison

    DFS wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:51:09 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Much like the Linux desktop market share hasn't changed much in 16
    >>> years. Still sitting at 0.6 percent.

    >> By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    >> moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the
    >> last year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

    > That's 'cause you're an innumerate idiot.

    Even accounting for a margin of error, 50% growth rate a year is impressive
    in ANY market.

    Let's see how long it is before "moshe" starts using 0.9% market share... Or
    1.4...

    Let's see if, in 5 years time it's at 4.6% and see "him" laugh and jeer
    then.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  14. Re: Comparison

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    >>> moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the
    >>> last year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

    >> That's 'cause you're an innumerate idiot.

    > Even accounting for a margin of error, 50% growth rate a year is impressive
    > in ANY market.
    >
    > Let's see how long it is before "moshe" starts using 0.9% market share... Or
    > 1.4...
    >
    > Let's see if, in 5 years time it's at 4.6% and see "him" laugh and jeer
    > then.

    Thanks for reinforcing that you are an innumerate idiot. The numbers are
    so low for Linux that a few thousand indicates points of a % shift. Only
    Homer would see this continuing - especially in the glaring lights of
    facts and the real world. Linux is currently going nowhere on the
    desktop.

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  15. Re: Comparison

    Hadron wrote:
    > Thanks for reinforcing that you are an innumerate idiot. The numbers are
    > so low for Linux that a few thousand indicates points of a % shift. Only
    > Homer would see this continuing - especially in the glaring lights of
    > facts and the real world. Linux is currently going nowhere on the
    > desktop.

    You accuse ME of being innumerate?
    Do you actually understand what "percent" means?
    Per 100.
    How big is the desktop "market" now? How many hundreds of millions of
    desktops are in use? For every single decimal point there is over 1 MILLION
    users. Even with "0.6%" desktop share, a few thousand is just a mere blip.

  16. Re: Comparison

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Thanks for reinforcing that you are an innumerate idiot. The numbers are
    >> so low for Linux that a few thousand indicates points of a % shift. Only
    >> Homer would see this continuing - especially in the glaring lights of
    >> facts and the real world. Linux is currently going nowhere on the
    >> desktop.

    > You accuse ME of being innumerate?
    > Do you actually understand what "percent" means?
    > Per 100.
    > How big is the desktop "market" now? How many hundreds of millions of
    > desktops are in use? For every single decimal point there is over 1 MILLION
    > users. Even with "0.6%" desktop share, a few thousand is just a mere
    > blip.

    Thanks for supporting me still further. And thanks for slipping away
    from the real issues once more.

    --
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our

  17. Re: Comparison

    Hadron wrote:
    > Thanks for supporting me still further.

    How is contradicting you supporting you?

  18. Re: Comparison

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Thanks for supporting me still further.

    > How is contradicting you supporting you?

    We'll leave it as an exercise in logic for you. Shouldn't be too tricky
    with all your self promoted qualifications and all.

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  19. Re: Comparison

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it
    >>> has moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58%
    >>> over the last year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much
    >>> in 16 years.

    >> That's 'cause you're an innumerate idiot.

    > Even accounting for a margin of error, 50% growth rate a year is
    > impressive in ANY market.

    It's not impressive at all to move from 0.43% to 0.68% in a year.

    > Let's see how long it is before "moshe" starts using 0.9% market
    > share... Or 1.4...
    >
    > Let's see if, in 5 years time it's at 4.6% and see "him" laugh and
    > jeer then.

    For a free product, any adoption rate below 40% to 60% is worth
    jeering about.

  20. Re: Comparison

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:47:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> That's 'cause you're an innumerate idiot.

    >> Even accounting for a margin of error, 50% growth rate a year is
    >> impressive in ANY market.

    > It's not impressive at all to move from 0.43% to 0.68% in a year.
    >

    >> Let's see how long it is before "moshe" starts using 0.9% market
    >> share... Or 1.4...
    >>
    >> Let's see if, in 5 years time it's at 4.6% and see "him" laugh and jeer
    >> then.

    > For a free product, any adoption rate below 40% to 60% is worth jeering
    > about.

    You're either stupid, dishonest, or both.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread