[News] Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4 - Linux

  1. [News] Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    Wine 1.0rc4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is release 1.0-rc4 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
    |
    | What's new in this release (see below for details):
    | - Bug fixes only, we are in code freeze.
    |
    | Because of lags created by using mirrors, this message may reach you
    | before the release is available at the public sites.
    `----

    http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.0-rc4

    Recent:

    No Windows? Use Linux, Intel Macs for PC Gaming with CrossOver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sure, Mac gaming is becoming less of an oxymoron these days, but if you want
    | to game with a keyboard, Windows is still the way to go. Fortunately,
    | Codeweavers' has concocted a solution for those who want the PC gaming
    | experience on Mac (and Linux!) without using Boot Camp or partitioning
    | drives. Introducing CrossOver Games.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/no...ith-crossover/
    http://tinyurl.com/3tc2mk

    Windows is on its Last Legs!?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most
    | popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the
    | evening of April 13th, eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee
    | UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs) and there’s also the Linux-fueled Nokia N800 tablet
    | for a total of nine Linux systems. There are also seven Mac models on the
    | list, topped by the Apple MacBook MB403LL/A 13.3-inch; Laptop. Finally,
    | beneath almost all the Linux PCs and all of the Macs, you’ll find four, count *
    | em four, Vista-powered laptops. * * *
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...its-last-legs/

    The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
    | has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
    | perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
    | to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
    | Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
    | the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
    | alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
    | flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years. * * *
    |
    | So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
    | more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
    | flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
    | specifically optimized. *
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

    Related:

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

  2. Re: [News] Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:59:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Wine 1.0rc4

    Who cares?

    Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    It does nothing well.

    Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    On Jun 7, 3:27 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:59:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > Wine 1.0rc4

    > Who cares?
    >
    > Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    > It does nothing well.
    >
    > Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    > need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    VMware is slow and doesn't integrate with the rest of desktop. It'd be
    good if wine can really achieve 100% compatibility for common
    softwares.

  4. Re: Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    AqD writes:

    > On Jun 7, 3:27 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:59:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> > Wine 1.0rc4

    >> Who cares?
    >>
    >> Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    >> It does nothing well.
    >>
    >> Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    >> need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    > VMware is slow and doesn't integrate with the rest of desktop. It'd be
    > good if wine can really achieve 100% compatibility for common
    > softwares.

    VMWare is pretty much as fast as native IMO. No it doesn "integrate" but
    then what would you expect? Its windows running in it (in this case). As
    for Wine - its far more buggy and far slower. And it doesn't "integrate"
    either.

    --
    Debian is the Jedi operating system: "Always two there are, a master and
    an apprentice".

  5. Re: Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:06:51 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > AqD writes:

    >>> Who cares?
    >>>
    >>> Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    >>> It does nothing well.
    >>>
    >>> Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    >>> need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    >> VMware is slow and doesn't integrate with the rest of desktop. It'd be
    >> good if wine can really achieve 100% compatibility for common
    >> softwares.

    > VMWare is pretty much as fast as native IMO. No it doesn "integrate" but
    > then what would you expect? Its windows running in it (in this case). As
    > for Wine - its far more buggy and far slower. And it doesn't "integrate"
    > either.

    Wine is a disaster.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:06:51 +0200
    :
    > AqD writes:

    >>> Who cares?
    >>>
    >>> Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    >>> It does nothing well.
    >>>
    >>> Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    >>> need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    >> VMware is slow and doesn't integrate with the rest of desktop. It'd be
    >> good if wine can really achieve 100% compatibility for common
    >> softwares.

    > VMWare is pretty much as fast as native IMO.

    AFAIK, VmWare is *exactly* as fast as native when one
    doesn't have to thunk through the user/kernel firewall --
    it doesn't emulate x86, but simply runs it.

    (An interesting test would be a batch run of POVRAY, for example.)

    > No it doesn "integrate" but
    > then what would you expect? Its windows running in it (in this case). As
    > for Wine - its far more buggy and far slower. And it doesn't "integrate"
    > either.

    WinE emulates a slightly different layer, but also should be
    as fast as native. Its main problem is that the layer it
    chose is not nearly as well specified as the one VmWare is using.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  7. Re: Wine 1.0 at Release Candidate 4

    On Jun 8, 7:06 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > AqD writes:

    > >> Who cares?

    > >> Wine is almost completely and totally irrelevant.
    > >> It does nothing well.

    > >> Use VMware if you need to run Windows applications which most Linux users
    > >> need to do because of the lack of quality Linux applications.

    > > VMware is slow and doesn't integrate with the rest of desktop. It'd be
    > > good if wine can really achieve 100% compatibility for common
    > > softwares.

    > VMWare is pretty much as fast as native IMO. No it doesn "integrate" but
    > then what would you expect? Its windows running in it (in this case). As
    > for Wine - its far more buggy and far slower. And it doesn't "integrate"
    > either.

    Yes buggy and low APPLICATION performance.

    But it gives you real application window - you know that with cool
    shadows behind and all the good things from compiz. And the GUI is
    faster though apps usually have weird refreshing issue and many other
    problems....

+ Reply to Thread