[News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux) - Linux

  1. [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux)

    Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We have shifted towards Linux because of Microsoft," he said. "Microsoft has
    | a lot of power and it is going to be difficult, but we will be working hard
    | to develop the Linux market."
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2998...for-Linux-move

    Asus the Unstoppable Innovator?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rewind a year, and the word “innovation” is hardly something you would have
    | associated with Asus, fine though their products were. Now, it seems, after
    | inventing the ultraportable sector with all that that implies for GNU/Linux,
    | it just keeps coming out with really cool stuff.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...14&entryid=877

    Acer is now offering Ubuntu PCs in places.

    Recent:

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially, Acer had offered only €30 if the man returned elements of the
    | install at his own expense .
    `----

  2. Re: Asian OEM justs seals it's coffin. (was: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:43:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "We have shifted towards Linux because of Microsoft," he said. "Microsoft has
    >| a lot of power and it is going to be difficult, but we will be working hard
    >| to develop the Linux market."

    HP said the same thing.
    They discovered that there is no market for Linux desktop systems,.

    Trying to market Linux desktops, laptops etc is like the kiss of death.
    The interest is just not enough to sustain profits because after the
    initial rush dries up they find Windows is their only solution to long term
    sales.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux)

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  4. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 03:11:37 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:43:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "We have shifted towards Linux because of Microsoft," he said.
    >>"Microsoft has | a lot of power and it is going to be difficult, but we
    >>will be working hard | to develop the Linux market."

    > HP said the same thing.
    > They discovered that there is no market for Linux desktop systems,.

    Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    > Trying to market Linux desktops, laptops etc is like the kiss of death.
    > The interest is just not enough to sustain profits because after the
    > initial rush dries up they find Windows is their only solution to long
    > term sales.

    What a concept. Release products like the OLPC and the Eee running some
    form of Linux. Havee them fly of the shelves while getting rave reviews.
    Then, when they get noticed by the Windows drones, market to the drones,
    too.
    Brilliant.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    "Rick" wrote in message
    newsMCdnbT6NdX_wtfVnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@supernews.com...
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 03:11:37 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:43:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>"Microsoft has | a lot of power and it is going to be difficult, but we
    >>>will be working hard | to develop the Linux market."

    >> HP said the same thing.
    >> They discovered that there is no market for Linux desktop systems,.

    > Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    And how's that going for them? After COLA cheered how Walmart was going to
    bring linux to the masses the chain decided to pull linux from every store
    because of lack of interest. You can still buy the computers on-line only
    but the selection is very limited and is restricted the cheapest of cheap
    machines.

    Dell... it's selling linux machines "again" except that you actually have
    to know about this before hand because Dell makes zero effort to actually
    advertise this. Dell is also very secretive with the sales numbers which
    should tell you that they're not very good. HP tried selling linux systems
    and recently announced that it's going to stop. Once again... not enough
    interest.

    >> Trying to market Linux desktops, laptops etc is like the kiss of death.
    >> The interest is just not enough to sustain profits because after the
    >> initial rush dries up they find Windows is their only solution to long
    >> term sales.

    > What a concept. Release products like the OLPC and the Eee running some
    > form of Linux. Havee them fly of the shelves while getting rave reviews.
    > Then, when they get noticed by the Windows drones, market to the drones,
    > too.
    > Brilliant.
    >

    > --
    > Rick

  6. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:38:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > newsMCdnbT6NdX_wtfVnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@supernews.com...

    >>> HP said the same thing.
    >>> They discovered that there is no market for Linux desktop systems,.

    >> Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    > And how's that going for them? After COLA cheered how Walmart was going
    > to bring linux to the masses the chain decided to pull linux from every
    > store because of lack of interest. You can still buy the computers
    > on-line only but the selection is very limited and is restricted the
    > cheapest of cheap machines.

    WalMart is still selling them.

    > Dell... it's selling linux machines "again" except that you actually
    > have to know about this before hand because Dell makes zero effort to
    > actually advertise this. Dell is also very secretive with the sales
    > numbers which should tell you that they're not very good. HP tried
    > selling linux systems and recently announced that it's going to stop.
    > Once again... not enough interest.

    Dell is still selling them.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:38:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > newsMCdnbT6NdX_wtfVnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@supernews.com...

    >>> HP said the same thing.
    >>> They discovered that there is no market for Linux desktop systems,.

    >> Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    > And how's that going for them? After COLA cheered how Walmart was going to
    > bring linux to the masses the chain decided to pull linux from every store
    > because of lack of interest. You can still buy the computers on-line only
    > but the selection is very limited and is restricted the cheapest of cheap
    > machines.

    Walmart used to have several different Linux machines online.
    Now they have one or two.

    If you search the entire site for "Linux" you get a bunch of books/software
    and a router.
    Not a single PC shows up in the 11 hits.

    When you finally find the one Everex machine left you will read reviews
    like this:

    "Everex gPC2 TC2512 Desktop Computer w/ 1.5GHz VIA C7-D Processor is not
    for a beginner. I am used to micosoft programs on my computer. I couldn't
    get the computer to take any downloads. I couldnt get it to connect to my
    high speed internet. It is too much a hassle even at the price. "

    The only people who seem to like this product are the slef professed geeks
    who know before hand what they are buying.
    The average people as a whole seem to hate this POS.

    > Dell... it's selling linux machines "again" except that you actually have
    > to know about this before hand because Dell makes zero effort to actually
    > advertise this. Dell is also very secretive with the sales numbers which
    > should tell you that they're not very good. HP tried selling linux systems
    > and recently announced that it's going to stop. Once again... not enough
    > interest.

    Dell is appeasing the Linux community while at the same time testing the
    waters .
    This way they don't offend anyone and can say they "offer Linux desktops".

    You'll never see one advertised though.
    Why?
    They don't want to waste space on something they know isn't a big seller.

    Dell is all over the media again with the end of the school year
    advertising machines at very good prices.
    They do it every year.

    Once again no mention of Linux desktops/laptops.

    So why is that?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:38:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> newsMCdnbT6NdX_wtfVnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@supernews.com...

    >>> Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    >> And how's that going for them? After COLA cheered how Walmart was going
    >> to bring linux to the masses the chain decided to pull linux from every
    >> store because of lack of interest. You can still buy the computers
    >> on-line only but the selection is very limited and is restricted the
    >> cheapest of cheap machines.

    > WalMart is still selling them.

    No, not really. They are somewhere on their web-site and they're available
    for anyone who happens to find them but Walmart is not "selling them."

    Definition of sell:

    a: to cause or promote the sale of cereal>
    b: to make or attempt to make sales to
    c: to influence or induce to make a purchase

    a: I see neither WalMart or Dell "promoting" linux machines.
    b: I don't see either Walmart of Dell proactively doing anyting to sell
    these machines.
    c: Listing them on some obscure web-page that's not easily found is hardly
    trying to "influence or induce" anyone to buy these machines.

    >> Dell... it's selling linux machines "again" except that you actually
    >> have to know about this before hand because Dell makes zero effort to
    >> actually advertise this. Dell is also very secretive with the sales
    >> numbers which should tell you that they're not very good. HP tried
    >> selling linux systems and recently announced that it's going to stop.
    >> Once again... not enough interest.

    > Dell is still selling them.

    Same as above. Just because you can find them somewhere on the web-site
    doesn't mean the company is "selling" them using a reasonable definition of
    sell.

    Somewhere on the IBM web-site you could probably buy replacement ribbons
    for a 1985 IBM Selectric II typewriter. Don't confuse this with IBM
    actually "selling" the item proactively.

    >>> What a concept. Release products like the OLPC and the Eee running some
    >>> form of Linux. Havee them fly of the shelves while getting rave
    >>> reviews. Then, when they get noticed by the Windows drones, market to
    >>> the drones, too.
    >>> Brilliant.

    > --
    > Rick

  9. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: [News] Asian OEMs Moves Beyond Microsoft (to GNU/Linux))

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:29:42 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:38:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> newsMCdnbT6NdX_wtfVnZ2dnUVZ_i2dnZ2d@supernews.com...

    >>> Well, Dell and WalMart seem to be selling them.

    >> And how's that going for them? After COLA cheered how Walmart was going
    >> to bring linux to the masses the chain decided to pull linux from every
    >> store because of lack of interest. You can still buy the computers
    >> on-line only but the selection is very limited and is restricted the
    >> cheapest of cheap machines.

    > Walmart used to have several different Linux machines online. Now they
    > have one or two.
    >
    > If you search the entire site for "Linux" you get a bunch of
    > books/software and a router.
    > Not a single PC shows up in the 11 hits.
    >
    > When you finally find the one Everex machine left you will read reviews
    > like this:
    >
    > "Everex gPC2 TC2512 Desktop Computer w/ 1.5GHz VIA C7-D Processor is not
    > for a beginner. I am used to micosoft programs on my computer. I
    > couldn't get the computer to take any downloads. I couldnt get it to
    > connect to my high speed internet. It is too much a hassle even at the
    > price. "
    >
    > The only people who seem to like this product are the slef professed
    > geeks who know before hand what they are buying. The average people as a
    > whole seem to hate this POS.

    First ..."I am used to micosoft programs on my computer."

    Second, WalMart is still selling them.

    >> Dell... it's selling linux machines "again" except that you actually
    >> have to know about this before hand because Dell makes zero effort to
    >> actually advertise this. Dell is also very secretive with the sales
    >> numbers which should tell you that they're not very good. HP tried
    >> selling linux systems and recently announced that it's going to stop.
    >> Once again... not enough interest.

    > Dell is appeasing the Linux community while at the same time testing the
    > waters .
    > This way they don't offend anyone and can say they "offer Linux
    > desktops".
    >
    > You'll never see one advertised though. Why?
    > They don't want to waste space on something they know isn't a big
    > seller.
    >
    > Dell is all over the media again with the end of the school year
    > advertising machines at very good prices. They do it every year.
    >
    > Once again no mention of Linux desktops/laptops.
    >
    > So why is that?

    Dell is still selling them.

    --
    Rick